Old Orchard Beach, portland, and So. Po. Densities

pvenne

portland swells to over 150,000 people during any given business day.

South Portland swells to over 100,000 people during the busy part of christmas time.

during any given summer day, and especially around the fourth of july, the town of Old Orchard Beach, ME (population 8,500) swells to over 100,000 people.

SO.......THE DAYTIME DENSITIES OF THESE CITIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

OLD ORCHARD BEACH (AREA = 7.4 SQ MILES): 13,514 AVERAGE PER SQ. MILE

SOUTH PORTLAND: 8,333 AVERAGE PER SQUARE MILE

PORTLAND: 7,142 AVERAGE PER SQUARE MILE

ANYONE KNOW WHAT MANCHESTER'S DAYTIME POP IS? PROBABLY AROUND 200K....ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

I BELIEVE BURLINGTON GOES UP TO AROUND 8000 PEOPLE PER SM

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, if you have time, you have to just search around yahoo or google and type things like "hampton beach daytime population" or "the daytime population of hampton beach is" and see what you get for websites. anyway, there is no official count. they are all estimates by using how many jobs there are, and thus how many people commute based on how many of those jobs are held by out of towners, then subtracting how many people commute OUT of the city, and then factoring in how many tourist related people or consumers are buzzoing around the city...which is an estimate only and is probably done by using traffic counts on major access roads...so i hope that helps... hampton beach probably has around 100k...isnt it similar to OOB?

Hampton Beach! I have great memories there. I spent every summer there in my childhood. I couldn't find any daytime estimates for it, though.

Burlington's DT pop. goes to 100,000 according to the police department. I couldn't find anything for Manchester.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, 100,000...im not surprised...i always thought it was just under 100k but im sure its grown a lot. good for burl. more daytime people means the need for more development.

the way i see it now, portland is developed for about 150k people, burlington, 100k and manch probably well over 200k...thus explains the differences in office tower heights....but thats probably a given anyway.

Archived