Greenville Downtown: Why it works

vicupstate

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the pics Vicupstate! :thumbsup: Love that Greenville has this consistent signage throughout town. The same graphic as this signage is also used in multiple ways...ie: all over the Recycling Center on University, on city vehicles, in magazine adds for the city, on the cities website, etc. Nice to see detailed consistency!

I thought I would start a thread that displays the aspects of DT Greenville that have led to its success.  For the this first post, I post some pics of the attractive, uniform, colorful, noticeable and abundant signage that has been posted downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the pics vicupstate! :thumbsup:

Where is the map located? I don't think I've seen it before.

Where is the map located?  I don't think I've seen it before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one showin in vic's photo is in the West End at the Intersection of River, Augusta, and Main Streets (near Shoeless Joe Jackson Plaza).

There are a couple more on Main Street (one at Piazza Bergamo and one at the Plaza in front of the Hyatt). I posted a photo of one of the other ones in a previous thread (Greenville Photos, I believe).

The one showin in vic's photo is in the West End at the Intersection of River, Augusta, and Main Streets (near Shoeless Joe Jackson Plaza).

There are a couple more on Main Street (one at Piazza Bergamo and one at the Plaza in front of the Hyatt).  I posted a photo of one of the other ones in a previous thread (Greenville Photos, I believe).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that on the back-side of the events calendar?

Now that I think of it, isn't there one behind the West End market at the bridge crossing over towards the Governor's School?

Now I think I'm just confsing myself :wacko:

Another thing Greenville has capitalized on and is even improving further is its downtown park system. I love the fact that you can walk, run, skate, or bike from Falls Park to The Rock Quarry Garden to Cleveland Park to Linky Stone Park, etc. Speaking of Linky Stone Children's Park, that one has come a long way over the years! It is a very cute little garden-style park with things to see and do. It will also have sculptures before too long. I wish there were a better way to link MacPherson Park with the others, but it is still easily walkable. :)

Not sure where this should be posted, so I'll just put it here....has anyone seen a good rendering of the Liberty Bridge anywhere online? I'm not talking about a picture, but a rendering. I'm looking to incorporate it in a logo and I need something to give the artist to work off of.

Please post if you've seen something out there.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I'm surprised that Greenville has yet to implement uniform street signs downtown. From McBee to Beattie on Main, there's the large purple with yellow writing. The historic districts have the green with "Historic District" written above it, and the rest of downtown just has the standard green that can be found anywhere.

I just threw these schemes quickly together. Ideas?

2395289471_d6afd2fe40.jpg

I really like your method of thinking, GvilleSC. I would keep the current "Main Street" theme we have (similar to #2), and incorporate a monotone logo like you see in my avatar. I love the gold lettering on the purple background very much. The City just needs to find a way to keep the colors from fading so fast.

I also think that the corners should be rounded, to ease the appearance a bit.

One of the few things I like about Rock Hill is the (very few) street signs that are lighted along Cherry Road (there may be others). They're really easy to see at night and can't be missed...I would love to see that at major Greenville intersections, at least. (these are the ones that hang beside the traffic lights)

I'm surprised that Greenville has yet to implement uniform street signs downtown. From McBee to Beattie on Main, there's the large purple with yellow writing. The historic districts have the green with "Historic District" written above it, and the rest of downtown just has the standard green that can be found anywhere.

I just threw these schemes quickly together. Ideas?

2395289471_d6afd2fe40.jpg

Another thing Greenville has capitalized on and is even improving further is its downtown park system. I love the fact that you can walk, run, skate, or bike from Falls Park to The Rock Quarry Garden to Cleveland Park to Linky Stone Park, etc. Speaking of Linky Stone Children's Park, that one has come a long way over the years! It is a very cute little garden-style park with things to see and do. It will also have sculptures before too long. I wish there were a better way to link MacPherson Park with the others, but it is still easily walkable. :)

I believe that another reason Greenville's downtown "works" so well can be attributed to the many successful outdoor festivals which in a way "give back" to the public while attracting the public to visit more often. Artisphere 2008 is about to begin tomorrow, and it appears that it will be another smashing sensation. I spoke with a couple of workers setting up a laser show and noticed the turnabout next to Hampton Inn & Suites is being converted into an attractive "tent palace." Early signs that Greenville's long outdoor festival season is in high gear once again. :wub:

• 1 year later...

Greenville Mayor Knox White wrote a nice little editorial published in The Greenville News (9/13/2009) regarding the overwhelming success of Falls Park since its rebirth five years ago. He emphasized the unique benefits such a park has single-handedly created for our city. He also mentioned the park's achievement as an "authentic" attraction and described how this has enabled the city to be well represented to visitors and citizens alike. Perhaps this single sentence sums up his message to us:

...People choose Greenville because of what Falls Park says about us.

I'd love to see pictures of how the Falls Park area looked before its transformation. I didn't realize the park was only five years old. At any rate, I do agree that the park is probably the one singular thing that impresses people the most about downtown; it's a most fitting urban centerpiece.

Archived