• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MZT

Creative Loafing Columnists

I suppose David Walter's urbanist articles had a following here. Is Hollis Gillespie his replacement? Maybe I don't "get" her writing style... But to me it resembles some bratty filler I'd see in a college weekly. I don't think I've succeeded once in reading an entire article. <_<

Did anyone else see in the best of Charlotte magazine that Dee dee's hole one best kept secret Charlotte getaway or somethin... about how it will be a beautiful lake soon ;) that was pretty funny.

Yes, I saw that about DeeDee's hole and thought it was pretty funny! Looks like other people are laughing about that too.

As for Hollis, I read her article in this edition and when I was done I was left wondering what the point was.

Did anyone else see in the best of Charlotte magazine that Dee dee's hole one best kept secret Charlotte getaway or somethin... about how it will be a beautiful lake soon ;) that was pretty funny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

I suppose David Walter's urbanist articles had a following here. Is Hollis Gillespie his replacement? Maybe I don't "get" her writing style... But to me it resembles some bratty filler I'd see in a college weekly. I don't think I've succeeded once in reading an entire article.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was he the one that talked about Dilworth and the neighborhood meeting they were having?

Yeah, Walters was actually supportive of the Lowes being built there. His attitude was that Lowes made plenty of concessions to the residents and that Dilworth could *use* a little more traffic and commercial appeal.

It may be a trendy place, but the rents are so high it drives out some businesses, which creates empty store fronts with *less* pedestrian activity.

But on the whole he was pure ubanist, and a welcome voice in response to talk radio hounds like Keith Larson.

As for Gillespie.... uh.... I'm still waiting for a fan to speak up and explain the appeal of her articles. :shifty: I mean, every week, I look at her piece and think... "She's *still* there?" Seriously! Does she have any point to make at all?

Hollis is semi-famous. Her column has run in CL for years. She's written a couple of books and appears frequently on NPR. I don't think she replaced any columnist since she lives in Atlanta not Charlotte. Unless she moved very recently. I think her column is running right now just to occupy space until a new Charlotte columnist comes along. I'm not sure, but that seems most likely.