Creative Loafing Columnists

MZT

I suppose David Walter's urbanist articles had a following here. Is Hollis Gillespie his replacement? Maybe I don't "get" her writing style... But to me it resembles some bratty filler I'd see in a college weekly. I don't think I've succeeded once in reading an entire article. <_<

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else see in the best of Charlotte magazine that Dee dee's hole one best kept secret Charlotte getaway or somethin... about how it will be a beautiful lake soon ;) that was pretty funny.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

I suppose David Walter's urbanist articles had a following here. Is Hollis Gillespie his replacement? Maybe I don't "get" her writing style... But to me it resembles some bratty filler I'd see in a college weekly. I don't think I've succeeded once in reading an entire article.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was he the one that talked about Dilworth and the neighborhood meeting they were having?

Yeah, Walters was actually supportive of the Lowes being built there. His attitude was that Lowes made plenty of concessions to the residents and that Dilworth could *use* a little more traffic and commercial appeal.

It may be a trendy place, but the rents are so high it drives out some businesses, which creates empty store fronts with *less* pedestrian activity.

But on the whole he was pure ubanist, and a welcome voice in response to talk radio hounds like Keith Larson.

As for Gillespie.... uh.... I'm still waiting for a fan to speak up and explain the appeal of her articles. :shifty: I mean, every week, I look at her piece and think... "She's *still* there?" Seriously! Does she have any point to make at all?

Hollis is semi-famous. Her column has run in CL for years. She's written a couple of books and appears frequently on NPR. I don't think she replaced any columnist since she lives in Atlanta not Charlotte. Unless she moved very recently. I think her column is running right now just to occupy space until a new Charlotte columnist comes along. I'm not sure, but that seems most likely.

Archived