I-475 link to U.S. 23 possible

Allan

I-475 link to U.S. 23 possible

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index....4020.xml&coll=5

I've been waiting for this idea to pop up again. M-DOT has discussed this on and off for years. In fact, when it was originally planned, 475 was supposed to end at US-23. This is one of few road extension projects I might support, simply because right now you can't get from northbound 75 to southbound 23, from northbound 23 to southbound 75, etc. very easily.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really in favor of this, because of the convenience it offers. Besides that, I really can't think of any areas that would benefit economically. Maybe the area around Hill Road would receive more traffic, I dunno.

At least I won't have to take Eastbound I-69. The speed limit is 55 on that particular stretch I think. That I cannot do.

As of August 1st they raised the speed limit on 69 to 70 mph. Guess you missed that article. I always drove through there about 20 or 30 mph over the old limit anyway. What can I say? I've got auto racing in the blood.

The thing with the extension is that if they are going to build it, they've got to start aquiring land now. Subdivisions are going up left and right, and high land values will eventually make the project much more costly.

Normally I hate freeways because they induce sprawl, but in this case it's not going to make any difference. It will also allow those of us living south of the US-23 split to make to to the freeway easier. Getting to US-23 from my house is quite an ordeal, despite the fact that it's not more than a couple miles away. All that bridge work that's going on now doesn't make it any easier, that's for sure.

If this were to be built, would 475 even have an exit between I-75 and US 23. I'm not sure the distance between the two in that area.

Also, I've been taking 475 on my way back from Detroit lately. The traffic at the split of 75 and 23 is terrible. Not only is the faulty concrete of US 23 being replaced, but a bridge is being done at Bishop Airport. Which I should mention, that exit for Bishop is the weirdest interchange system I've ever seen in my life.

Speaking of freeway spurs and the like. My father had saw my Zilwaukee Bridge photos in my flickr and told me he had actually talked with the guy who designed the Zilwaukee Bridge. It turns out, such a project of building a bridge like that today would be not be feasible. There would have been no need to build it if I-675 would have been widened to a 8 to 10 lane freeway until it met back up. Let's face it, hardly any ships pass beneath the bridge anymore, and the lifting bridge they removed would be about 40 years old today (not that old). If 675 would have been enhanced, it likely would have been a stack freeway for about half of its journey due to the density of Saginaw in some parts, and the geography of the area. I can only imagine how much that would have benefitted Saginaw. Just think of all the travelers that could have been a greater force on Saginaw's economy. If Frankenmuth can do it, without close proximities to the freeway, then so can Saginaw.

The distance between US-23 & 475 really depends on exactly what path they choose. My guess is that it would be just over a mile. Whether they add another entrance/exit, I don't know. That is why they are doing the study. :silly:

I think this is a good thing. I usually don't have to worry about going from 475 to 23, but since it looks like the transportation hub idea is a serious, this could really be an asset.

Another freeway improvment they've been talking about for a long time is an exit for 75 on Flushing Rd. I've been wanting one since I first got my license. I've never understood why there was a 5-mile gap between exits on 75 while it passed by the city. :wacko:

That would be pretty sweet if Saginaw had a stack freeway. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this topic hasn't been brought up in awhile but I had an idea. What if M-DOT did totally the opposite of what the plan might be. Currently, the way it's set up, people have the option to go either 475 downtown or 75 around downtown which the majority of travelors do. What if they removed/disconnected the stretch of 75 between 475 and the 23-75 interchange. This would force all traffic on 75 to go through downtown making it busier and more commercial/business friendly. Right now, as it is, 475 through downtown doesn't really get alot of traffic therefore limiting the amount of people (especially out-of-towners passing through)that could stop and notice what downtown has to offer. Thanks.

Anything to lend the city of Flint a hand in it's recovery is ok in my book. Although I think that's a long shot.

I have thought about it though, 75 thru southeastern Michigan is crooked. Would these plans connect 275 and 475? it would make it more a straight line. instead of a zigzag. they could name the newly constructed part 75 and the old one that curves east thru detroit, and then west once it gets down river, 275

23 goes through Fenton, Brighton, Ann Arbor and eventually to the Toledo area.

It would be nice if there was a connection between 23 and 475. It would make it easier to get places sometimes and there'd be less confusion for visitors.

Personally, I'd rather have a new ramp on 75 somewhere between Corunna Rd. and Pierson Rd. It doesn't make sense for there to be a five mile stretch without any onramps adjacent to the city.

I heard about that some years ago, too. I think they were just looking at options, though, and said it would be a very long time (something like 15 years) before a new ramp was actually built.

I used to have a summer job in Brighton when I was living "at home". I really hated that my house was only about a mile from I-75 but it took me 10 minutes to get to the nearest onramp.

for as long as I can remember, and this goes back about 25 summers, they have ALWAYS been working on I-75 thru metropolitan Flint. Why? The part from 475- 69 always seems crappy. Have the actually made any headway out there?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but it wouldn't make much sense, because that's kind of the role that 23 plays. If they were to do that, they'd have to Freeways running side by side, separated by only a few miles.

Actually the original plan for Detroit's I-275 would have had it ending at I-75 between Clarkston and Holly. Part of that stretch did get built as a boulevard in the Farmington/Novi area.

I-275 was supposed to end where I-75 crosses Davisburg Road.

The Lodge Freeway was also supposed to be extended north to Flint, but the people living in Bloomfield Hills stopped that project dead in its tracks in the 1970s.

Archived