New restaurants

Spartan

Hi everyone. I've been reading posts here for about a month, and finally have something worth posting. The new City Range is now open for business! The wife and I went after work today (Friday) and it was delicious! I was prepared for things to be hit-or-miss, since this was their opening night, but I thought the food was just as good as the original in Greenville. If you've been before, you won't be disappointed, and if you haven't been, you owe it to yourself to try it! If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of this place : ). It's a little pricey, but very good food (love the Black and Blue, but it will put you in a food coma!). I hope they do really well and other quality restaurants decide to build around them!

Haven't seen an update in a while... any new information on Olive Garden coming here? And what about a Chili's... I'd love to see one of those here as well!

Thanks to you guys (and gals) who post all of the good information here!

Welcome to the forum westsidemike!

I'm glad to know this place is open now, and that it is good, thanks for that info :)

I have only heard rumors about Olive Garden and Chilis. Considering that they do not currently have location in Spartanburg, I woudl say they are very possible. Others in clude Carrabas and maybe a macaroni grill- I am basing that on the fact that we do not have these restaurants and Anderson does. I'd also like to see a Sticky Fingers.

Spartanburg's lack of restaurants is very frustrating.

I want everyone (including the lurkers out there ;) )to know that any comments are welcome at anytime! Don't hesitate to share your thoughts or opinions on any discussion, and if something you want to talk about is not being addressed then make a new thread :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other great restaurants for Spartanburg:

Summit Pointe/elsewhere on Westside:

Joe's Crab Shack

On The Border

Texas Roadhouse and/or Logan's

Panera Bread

Willie's (Asheville-based Moe's rival; I ate at one of these in Marietta, GA, a suburb of Atlanta)

Starbucks (besides the one in B&N)

Port City Java

Carrabba's/Macaroni Grill/Olive Garden (or all of them)

Another Cracker Barrel

A doughnut place (Dunkin' or Donut Connection)

Sonic (we really need one of these!)

Sticky Fingers (which I'd also like to see locate downtown)

Long Horn Steakhouse

Lone Star Steakhouse (which had a location once on Reidville Road now housing Billy D's West)

Jersey Mike's

Steak & Shake

Downtown (IN old store fronts, not in SUBURBANIZED buildings):

Sticky Fingers

Marble Slab or other ice cream place

Panera Bread

Applebee's/Fatz/Friday's/Chili's/O'Charley's?

An Italian place

Ike's Korner Grill (should relocate from current location)

A 24-hour diner (besides Papa's)

Sandwich/sub shops (besides Subway)

Starbucks or Port City Java (and of course, local coffeehouses)

Mellow Mushroom

Barley's Pizza

Jersey Mike's

A Mexican restaurant or two

A Moe's or Willie's (See above)

Another donut place (Dunkin')

Also, I think Wade's (and possibly the Beacon) should expand.

This is all I can think of now.

Speaking of new restaurants, there has been an explosion with ice cream shops in the Upstate. In addition to the Marble Slab coming soon to Summit Pointe, I have heard for months that Bruster's is opening a location on Reidville Road near Zaxby's. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, other new restaurant ideas are:

Senor Wraps

Buddy's

Corky's

(Buddy's and Corky's are two wonderful BBQ places I have eaten at around Knoxville and Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg-Seveirville, TN).

Backyard Burgers

Flat Rock Grill

Rocky Mountain buffet

Mrs. Winner's Fried Chicken

PoFolk's

More Miami Subs/Nathan's/Arthur Treacher's locations

Sagebrush

Frodo's Pizza

A Gatti-Town.

Would also like to see Holmes Hotdogs (an Arcadia hot dog mecca), Big Daddy's, and The Junction expand to other parts of Spartanburg, plus Greenville, Anderson, and the rest of the Upstate.

It is my understanding that Wade's current location was acutaly an attempt at a second locaiton. The original location was on South Pine. They operated two for a while, but the current location was actually designed as a restaurant to begin with, and it was much more profitable.

I too would like to see Wade's expand. There is certainly enough room in that parking lot to do something!

I read that Brusters was planning to open a Westside location soon, but I was not clear on where.

I would enjoy a good bbq place downtown. Not just Sticky Fingers either.

One reastaurant that nobody has mentioned is Smokey Bones. That is a fantastic restaurant. I have heard that one may be coming to Greenville soon :)

I could see the W Main area between the railroad tracks and the St John/Reidville intersection becoming a sort of restaurant row with good urban style buildings :) That side of the tracks really needs some help.

It is my understanding that Wade's current location was acutaly an attempt at a second locaiton. The original location was on South Pine. They operated two for a while, but the current location was actually designed as a restaurant to begin with, and it was much more profitable.

I too would like to see Wade's expand. There is certainly enough room in that parking lot to do something!

I read that Brusters was planning to open a Westside location soon, but I was not clear on where.

I would enjoy a good bbq place downtown. Not just Sticky Fingers either.

One reastaurant that nobody has mentioned is Smokey Bones. That is a fantastic restaurant. I have heard that one may be coming to Greenville soon :)

I could see the W Main area between the railroad tracks and the St John/Reidville intersection becoming a sort of restaurant row with good urban style buildings :) That side of the tracks really needs some help.

Yeah Wade's should be bigger, but what I meant by expand would be to open up locations for Greenville, Anderson, Gaffney, maybe Greer, and other parts of the Upstate. I could see The Beacon doing the same, but with smaller locations. Their tea has became so popular it isn't even funny.

As for BBQ downtown, Corky's and/or Buddy's would be great. (Again, these are both chains I have eaten at in Knoxville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Seveirville).

Another Steak and Ale location somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea (possibly St. John and Reidville intersection or else somewhere off I-26 in Spartanburg), and I know it's just a Waffle House clone but Huddle Houses in Spartanburg would be good.

It doesn't seem to fit their profile, but I would love to see a Bonefish grill downtown, or anywhere in Spartanburg. On next to City Range would be nice. Speaking of:

City Range opened kind-of quietly don't you think? I was expecting more of a "grand opening". Maybe they were sneaking in just to give the staff some training, then push an ad campaign. in any case, I can't wait to go.

It doesn't seem to fit their profile, but I would love to see a Bonefish grill downtown, or anywhere in Spartanburg. On next to City Range would be nice. Speaking of:

City Range opened kind-of quietly don't you think? I was expecting more of a "grand opening". Maybe they were sneaking in just to give the staff some training, then push an ad campaign. in any case, I can't wait to go.

P.F. Chang's and A.W. Shucks would also be great for Spartanburg, downtown in particular.

Okay, I'm going to let you read what I was given from Bruster's. It is good news for those of you hoping to see one in west Spartanburg. :)

Thank you for writing to us! The rumors are true, we do have

plans to open in west Spartanburg. The franchise is wrapping up the land

contract and anticipates opening in spring 2006. Please let me know if you have

any other questions.

Thank you,

Michelle Long

Operations Assistant

I know it was pushing it, but Bonefish isn't disclosing anything on new locations in the Carolinas right now.

Thank you for your interest in Bonefish Grill.

We are currently looking for places to open Bonefish Grills around

the country, including additional locations in the Carolinas. We are

growing quickly and hope to have a location closer to you soon.

Keep watch on our website to find out where we'll be opening in the

near future!

Your friends at Bonefish Grill

Automated response no doubt. :rolleyes:

I disagree with multiple locations for the Beacon, Wades, etc. These are local institutions that need to stay that in Spartanburg.

You don't think that these businesses should seek to maximize profits and expand? I think it would be cool if they were a local Carolina chain of sorts; I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

I want to see a Cheesburger in Paradise in Spartanburg B)

I want them to maximize proffits locally. When restaurants grow beyone one or two locations they loose their local flavor. Just look at Maurices, or Sticky Fingers, or Lizard's Thicket. These palces aren't bad, but I am willing to bet that they were better when it was just one place. I want it to be a unique institution in Spartanburg. We don't have that many to start with, and I want us to keep what we have.

Perhaps they could buy up the rest of the strip mall and convert it to their use?

I want to see a Cheesburger in Paradise in Spartanburg B)

I want them to maximize proffits locally. When restaurants grow beyone one or two locations they loose their local flavor. Just look at Maurices, or Sticky Fingers, or Lizard's Thicket. These palces aren't bad, but I am willing to bet that they were better when it was just one place. I want it to be a unique institution in Spartanburg. We don't have that many to start with, and I want us to keep what we have.

I haven't had the experience of sampling any present-day chains while they were still local (the least of which would be Maurice's--I wouldn't eat his food if it were my last earthly option, even if I didn't have to pay for it), but I can theoretically see how that would happen. It's a valid point.

You really want all the Denny's resaurants to close? :lol:

nah. just the ones in Spartanburg. They kinda suck.

I haven't had the experience of sampling any present-day chains while they were still local (the least of which would be Maurice's--I wouldn't eat his food if it were my last earthly option, even if I didn't have to pay for it), but I can theoretically see how that would happen. It's a valid point.

Neither have I, but one would have to assume that in order to streamline the food making process to make it effecient to ship it all over the place that you would loose some quality for quantity. Wade's is great food, and I'd hate for that to happen. It already has kinda. They have exchanged some quality for quantity just in their grwoth in that one building. Its not much. The food is still great. But I've been going there my entire life and I know its different. What stands out the most are the yeast rolls. These used to be monster rolls that rose out waay over the top of the tray they bake them in. Now they are fairly small, not always doing that. Its just a small thing, and they are still great. Its a good example of what I mean though :)

Archived