Bush River Road

krazeeboi

Yeah, that's what I heard. It's going to replace the Old Target plaza. To me it looks a little too small to place a Super Wal Mart.

Also, when the Wal-Mart comes, I truly believe Bush River will soon have another vacant spot: K-Mart.

does this area really need another super wal-mart? and when i say that, i mean both the st. andrews area and columbia in general. it seems like overkill to me, especially with super wal-marts 3 exits down in BOTH directions on I-26 (west columbia and harbison)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probablly not but the market is there. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or two go up in Lexington Co. esp. with the large migrant population. If Target were smart they would try to build a "Super Target in the market before Wally World monopolizes even more. I still think that Meijer is a great Walmart equalizer.

Probablly not but the market is there. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or two go up in Lexington Co. esp. with the large migrant population. If Target were smart they would try to build a "Super Target in the market before Wally World monopolizes even more. I still think that Meijer is a great Walmart equalizer.

but they don't have any plans to come south, do they?

i too would like to see target come back to the area. even better, if something like the shoppes at woodhill could be developed on that site.

but they don't have any plans to come south, do they?

i too would like to see target come back to the area. even better, if something like the shoppes at woodhill could be developed on that site.

If by come south you mean Meijer then I don't think so but they give Walmart here a pretty good run for there money. Since me and my girl boycott Walmart it has made an excellent alternative. The kick in the ass however is now that Walmart is building a supercenter literally within the same shopping complex as Meijer. That's how successful Meijer has been.

Has Target left Columbia, or do you mean back to Bush River?

Wouldn't be surprised to see what go up on Lexington County? Wal Mart? Well, there are already 2...one in the town of Lexington, and one in West Columbia. Or did you mean Target? They're clearing land for one on 378 right now for a new Target between West Columbia and Lexington. (I'm especially happy about this one because it's not too far from where I live)

If by come south you mean Meijer then I don't think so but they give Walmart here a pretty good run for there money. Since me and my girl boycott Walmart it has made an excellent alternative. The kick in the ass however is now that Walmart is building a supercenter literally within the same shopping complex as Meijer. That's how successful Meijer has been.

Has Target left Columbia, or do you mean back to Bush River?

i meant back to Bush River. I'm not boycotting Wal-Mart (although my bf is), but it's not convenient enough to warrant me driving that distance. If I want to save 40 cents on a roll of paper towels, I'll just get a Bi-Lo BonusCard and get the generic ones. :lol:

That's another reason why I'd like to see the Bush River/Broad River area flourish: it's so much closer to where I live. For those of us who live in the Eau Claire community, we don't have a lot of closeby retail options.

i meant back to Bush River. I'm not boycotting Wal-Mart (although my bf is), but it's not convenient enough to warrant me driving that distance. If I want to save 40 cents on a roll of paper towels, I'll just get a Bi-Lo BonusCard and get the generic ones. :lol:

That's another reason why I'd like to see the Bush River/Broad River area flourish: it's so much closer to where I live. For those of us who live in the Eau Claire community, we don't have a lot of closeby retail options.

True, but with the 3 interstates, 277 and 126 we can be anywhere in town in 15-20 minutes. I love living in the Eau Claire area.

Bush River Mall is no more. I just drove down Bush River Road, and the entire mall is a pile of concrete. And there's a big sign out front that says "Wal Mart Supercenter coming soon". So I guess the rumors were true. I was very sad to see Bush River Mall no longer there. I have LOTS of memories from my childhood that involve that mall. TONS of quarters spent at the arcade, I saw Star Wars in the 70's there when I was a kid, and I used to love Richway. Now the Evil Empire has built yet ANOTHER store in Columbia. Oh well...what can you do? :(

Oh well...what can you do?

You can avoid giving them any business, which is what I do.

Exactly.

Well its been a pile of ruble for like 8 years or something like that. Rather it be a Wal-Mart than the state its been in. And I'm glad, it's so closer to downtown. Don't have to go to West Columbia anymore :)

When I lived at USC I started going to the Target at Woodhill Mall on Garners Ferry Rd. as soon as it opened.... its a lot closer than West Cola Walkmart. You save time and gas, which is more important IMO.

Why dont we have a Costco yet? I think that wouldve been a better alternative

Yes please! I live in Northeast Richland, and we don't even have a Sam's Club next to our nearest Wal-Mart like they do on Harbison and Forest Acres (the nearest one). If (big box) development is going to happen anyways, let a Costco come near Two Notch / Clemson (or heck, near I-77 even). I figure if Greensboro has a Costco, we should have one too.

BTW, what are they building next to the Home Depot at Village at Sandhill?

FWIW, if there is one big box other than Costco I would dearly love to have in Columbia, it's the Wegman's grocery store from upstate NY (they also have 2-3 in the DC area now). Wegman's is basically a Whole Foods or EarthFare type store scaled up to the size of a Costco, with Costco prices, and Costco's famously progressive corporate culture.

Yes please! I live in Northeast Richland, and we don't even have a Sam's Club next to our nearest Wal-Mart like they do on Harbison and Forest Acres (the nearest one). If (big box) development is going to happen anyways, let a Costco come near Two Notch / Clemson (or heck, near I-77 even). I figure if Greensboro has a Costco, we should have one too.

FWIW, if there is one big box other than Costco I would dearly love to have in Columbia, it's the Wegman's grocery store from upstate NY (they also have 2-3 in the DC area now). Wegman's is basically a Whole Foods or EarthFare type store scaled up to the size of a Costco, with Costco prices, and Costco's famously progressive corporate culture.

Charlotte and Charleston have Costco also

Charlotte and Charleston have Costco also

I am one of those people who tend to not be able to pay a larger amount for a product that will techically last longer b/c it's so huge...for instance I would never go to a Sams Club type place for grocery shopping simply b/c the bill would be so high, I mean buying things in bulk carries a hefty initial pricetag even though you may save some money over time.

Archived