The Atlanta (and suburbs) traffic congestion

Tides

No Im simply saying that the rush hour is whats bad, statistically among the worst in the country.  But some people think theres gridlock at all times on Atlanta roads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, I see what you're saying. That is a typical misconception about Atlanta, but one has to look no further thatn this pic to disprove that it is gridlocked all the time:

Atl-5.jpg

BTW: Here's one of my favorite Atlanta traffic pics (and it actually proves that our traffic MOVES :w00t: ):

Atl-8.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atl-5.jpg

That is b/c this is taken from Freedom Parkway, which looks like it was taken at least 5 years ago. (There are now apartment buildings along the two blocks to the right).

But this is a spot I always send people to when they want a good downtown shot, it is at the intersection with Boulevard at the bike trail.

Wasn't there a proposal at one point to turn the Connector into a Double-Decker Expressway? You'd have 10-12 lanes going in one direction and that would've alleviated conditions for a while at least but would've took away from the city center's appearance. I like that all that traffic is below eye-level.

Wasn't there a proposal at one point to turn the Connector into a Double-Decker Expressway? You'd have 10-12 lanes going in one direction and that would've alleviated conditions for a while at least but would've took away from the city center's appearance. I like that all that traffic is below eye-level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HybridONE, I don't remember the Connector being slated for double decking but I do remember that being suggested for the top end perimeter.

The odd thing I have notice.......maybe not odd........is that it seems like every bridge over the downtown connector is scheduled to be widen into a park with a road through it. The Fifth St and 14th St bridge comes to mind. It's like the city is subconciously trying to bury the connector.

There have been proposals to double deck the Connector, dating back to the 70's. But in the past years there are multiple efforts to cover the Connector to make a park. Midtown & Downtown have two seperate plans, one at 5th St which has started & may expand & the other plan is at Mayor's Park at Peachtree St.

Thanks Lady Celeste ( and everybody else ) for the advice and the additional pics , I really need to visit in late fall or early winter , if not this year then maybe 2006 or 2007 . I can swing up I 85 to explore Charlotte as well .

cheers ,

Tides

Archived