The Atlanta (and suburbs) traffic congestion

Tides

If anybody has any additional Atanta traffic pics , the more the merrier ! IronChapman , I still await Douglasville pics ! Whenever you get a chance .

Tides

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just got back from going up the Westin Peachtree. I got some good pictures of the Atlanta highways (not to mention other places).

I'll upload them when I get the chance.

Here's a couple of Douglasville pics from Google. I'll have to go take some of my own sometime.

gumboux001.jpg

Homepage_Fountain.gif

News0328Gumbeaux.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I knew people in college who commuted from Gainesville and Rome GA and it would take them up to 3 and a half hours on some days each way to get to work in Atlanta and the airport! My dad commutes to work from peachtree city to college park and it takes him about an hour. That will change a good bit in the future though as highway 74 becomes more developed and South Fulton and Coweta grow. I am just glad I live in Augusta now and can get to my job in 5 to 10 minutes!

Here are some ATL traffic pics...

atlantatraffic5ov.jpg

atlanta9vd.jpg

015879820026009vg.jpg

traffic8ib.jpg

trozone1vl.jpg

BTW, Ive been wondering, are there any plans for new major highways in Atlanta to relieve traffic?

Houston is now putting together a plan to build a 3rd Beltway around the city to cut down on traffic in downtown and throughout the suburbs, is there anything similar going on in Atlanta?

BTW, Ive been wondering, are there any plans for new major highways in Atlanta to relieve traffic?

Houston is now putting together a plan to build a 3rd Beltway around the city to cut down on traffic in downtown and throughout the suburbs, is there anything similar going on in Atlanta?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice pics.

The last thing Atlanta needs is another highway. We are one of only a few (3 or 5, I believe) cities in the nation with 3 major interstates running through it, not to mention the 10th circle of Hell that has become I-285 (the Perimeter). A proposed seond Perimeter was defeated a few years ago along with the last remaining part of it, the dreaded Northern Arc.

I agree with Ironchapman......

The last thing Atlanta needs is another interstate!

Unfortunately in Atlanta interstate building had the opposite effect than what was desired. Anytime a new interstate is built in Atlanta's metro, development and ultimately more sprawl follows. I can only think of one exception to this rule and that would be I-675. I am sooooooooooooo glad that the outer Perimeter was defeated........so far. This would have only encouraged edge cities 20 miles outside of I-285. Traffic would have been a mess even further out.

I-285, I-575, GA 400, GA 316 and now I-985 are all developing or are developed into nodes which encourages sprawl. In order for some people to get out of their cars, it will take $10 per gallon of gas or suburb to city commutes of 2+ hrs.

I agree with Ironchapman......

The last thing Atlanta needs is another interstate!

Unfortunately in Atlanta interstate building had the opposite effect than what was desired. Anytime a new interstate is built in Atlanta's metro, development and ultimately more sprawl follows. I can only think of one exception to this rule and that would be I-675. I am sooooooooooooo glad that the outer Perimeter was defeated........so far. This would have only encouraged edge cities 20 miles outside of I-285. Traffic would have been a mess even further out.

I-285, I-575, GA 400, GA 316 and now I-985 are all developing or are developed into nodes which encourages sprawl. In order for some people to get out of their cars, it will take $10 per gallon of gas or suburb to city commutes of 2+ hrs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True indeed.

With all that we've said, though, it would be nice to have a highway out to Athens.

I hope we don't build another highway! I think that metro Atlantan's need to find another way to get around besides cars and interstates, like a train or rail or bus system, or maybe say, walking. I don't think it's the best thing for Houston to build another highway to ease the traffic. I hope that Smart growth will continue to lead us into the 21st century. Highways are soooo out!

I hope we don't build another highway! I think that metro Atlantan's need to find another way to get around besides cars and interstates, like a train or rail or bus system, or maybe say, walking. I don't think it's the best thing for Houston to build another highway to ease the traffic. I hope that Smart growth will continue to lead us into the 21st century. Highways are soooo out!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Walking to Athens would be quite a distance. ;)

But yes, I do hope that we could build commuter rail. This Atlanta-Lovejoy line sounds like it has gotten a lot of support,t hough, so I hope it gets built. Maybe it will be the first step in a system of commuter rail!!

True indeed.

With all that we've said, though, it would be nice to have a highway out to Athens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being a University of Georgia alumnus I can truly tell you that GA 316 is sufficent. I remember having to take GA 78 or GA 29 to get to Athens when I was in high school. Really with GA 316 once you get past Lawrenceville, the drive is a breeze. I used to make the run from Athens to Dunwoody (where I grew up) in about 50 minutes. That was when GA 316 ended just west of Bogart, GA. Now GA 316 runs right to Athens Perimeter and on to Broad St just outside of downtown Athens. A highway would not be readily used other than on game days in the fall.

Goooooooo Dawgs!!! Wooooooo Hoooooooo!

NCB and HybridONE , awesome pics , I appreciate it .

And to think with all the new residents moving into the Metro area.... my goodness .

As much as I love Atlanta and Southern belles , this thread and the pics makes me have some doubts about moving to the area . Maybe Charlotte is a better choice , I really need to visit both cities sometime in the future to experience things for myself.

Girly - still waiting for a response to my question ! Pretty please ? :(

cheers ,

Tides

Ok, so if more highways would only be a bad thing in Atlanta, are there plans involving MARTA to connect suburbs with each other and the inner-city?

Dallas has been extending their DART into the outer suburbs and connecting it with Fort Worth's transit system to cut down on traffic on their highways. That is obviously, very expensive, but it has been working very well.

I'm sure something like this has been planned or proposed in Atlanta, did anything come of it?

Ok, so if more highways would only be a bad thing in Atlanta, are there plans involving MARTA to connect suburbs with each other and the inner-city?

Dallas has been extending their DART into the outer suburbs and connecting it with Fort Worth's transit system to cut down on traffic on their highways. That is obviously, very expensive, but it has been working very well.

I'm sure something like this has been planned or proposed in Atlanta, did anything come of it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Commuter rail plans have been made, but whether or not they will be built is a whole 'nother story. Expanding MARTA to other counties, much less farther than it is probably not going to happen anytime soon. They are in too big of a financial quagmire for that.

And, let's not forget the Beltline. Check the Regional Rail Transit in Atlanta threaf for more. :)

heh, when I went to Atlanta I didn't think the traffic was too bad. First night out I stayed in Duluth (the rest of my vacation was in Buckhead) because that was where the concert was, I did drive to Buckhead from there during lunch time, no big deal. (I didn't go on the expressway though)...

Buckhead at night (10:00) was not too bad either on a Friday or Saturday night.

Or maybe I was just lucky and have no idea what I am talking about. From what it looks like to me there is no reason to go on the expressway if you live in the north. Just take Peachtree Industrial to Dorraville MARTA station and take the train into town.

heh, when I went to Atlanta I didn't think the traffic was too bad. First night out I stayed in Duluth (the rest of my vacation was in Buckhead) because that was where the concert was, I did drive to Buckhead from there during lunch time, no big deal. (I didn't go on the expressway though)...

Buckhead at night (10:00) was not too bad either on a Friday or Saturday night.

Or maybe I was just lucky and have no idea what I am talking about. From what it looks like to me there is no reason to go on the expressway if you live in the north. Just take Peachtree Industrial to Dorraville MARTA station and take the train into town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Center city's not as bad as it is coming from exurbs and the further out suburbs.

4:00-7:00 PM is the worst time for traffic

Center city's not as bad as it is coming from exurbs and the further out suburbs.

lol, so people are complaining about there own decisions.

I read this editorial in the WSJ about how some people love their commute and its the only time they get away from the rest of the world. One person learned a new language while waiting in their car. (I don't know how that relates to anything).

lol, so people are complaining about there own decisions.

I read this editorial in the WSJ about how some people love their commute and its the only time they get away from the rest of the world. One person learned a new language while waiting in their car. (I don't know how that relates to anything).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't mind the 30 minute drive it takes from Douglasville to Atlanta.....when I go to the city. Goves me a chance to be alone and think, for the most part (okay, so I can't drive yet, but that will change soon :silly: )

Actually I have been unfortunate enough to be in Buckhead during rushhour and Peachtree Street was a parking lot from the I-85 bridge all the way up past Roxboro Rd. Also had to go from Chamblee Tucker Rd near Buford Highway up to Jimmy Carter at Singleton Rd. and it took me an hour and 45 minutes. Guess it just depends on when you go and having a bit of good luck!

Tides.........

This is my advise to you, I would encourage you to visit every city you are considering and visit for more than 2 days if you can. The best time to visit is either a Sunday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Friday. You will have to see for yourself. Those pictures you see are snapshots in time. I'm not going to say that all traffic in Atlanta is a breeze but in many larger cities that is the case. Ask any other city you are considering to post their traffic pictures and you will see that Atlanta, while suffering from bad traffic, is not that much more worse than other cities of comparable size or even smaller metros.

Its true. And while the metro area has a lot of sprawl, you'll also find that there are many towns outside Atlanta that have a lot of character and have a community all their own. Not to mention a lot of history. Just to name a few McDonough, Fayetteville, Douglasville, Newnan, Carrollton, and even Roswell

Tides.........

This is my advise to you. I would encourage you to visit every city you are considering and visit for more than 2 days if you can. The best time to visit is either a Sunday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Friday. You will have to see for yourself. Those pictures you see are snapshots in time. I'm not going to say that all traffic in Atlanta is a breeze but in many larger cities that is the case. Ask any other city you are considering to post their traffic pictures and you will see that Atlanta, while suffering from bad traffic, is not that much more worse than other cities of comparable size of even smaller metros.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Lady Celeste and this is what I meant earlier when I said the traffic is not as bad as the legend its become. No doubt the traffic is bad and we statistically commute farther on average than anywhere else. But when its rush hour, you know what to expect just like any other major city. Ive driven through a couple of smaller cities in the SE and it happened to be during rush hour and guess what...there was bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.

I agree Lady Celeste and this is what I meant earlier when I said the traffic is not as bad as the legend its become.  No doubt the traffic is bad and we statistically commute farther on average than anywhere else.  But when its rush hour, you know what to expect just like any other major city.  Ive driven through a couple of smaller cities in the SE and it happened to be during rush hour and guess what...there was bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The *ahem* "badness" of Atlanta's traffic stems more from the long commute rather than the rush hour, a thing found in all cities.

Is that what you are saying?

The *ahem* "badness" of Atlanta's traffic stems more from the long commute rather than the rush hour, a thing found in all cities.

Is that what you are saying?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Im simply saying that the rush hour is whats bad, statistically among the worst in the country. But some people think theres gridlock at all times on Atlanta roads.

Archived