Could Greenville host an event like....

g-vegasman

Could Greenville/Upstate support an event like the X-Games?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Could Greenville/Upstate support an event like the X-Games?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I'm astonished at this news. I like to consider myself well-informed of all things skate, surf, and snowboard related in the region, and this is completely new to me! That should tell you something about Greenville's attitude toward skating. Greenville has an incredible lack of support for "extreme" sports, which is mainly caused by an ignorance of what kind of people get involved in those types of activities. :blink: The city doesn't have a publicly-funded skate park, when even a little town like Saluda does. While our new park is obviously a private venture, it is still a great step to progressing as town.

Join the fray.

I used to practically live at the Scuffletown Skate Park, and I helped build the Carolina Skate Park in Duncan.

Really? I couldn't afford to skate there much. Plus, I was too young to drive myself out there. It's too bad they couldn't do a sustainable business. I never saw anyone hitting that 11-12 ft halfpipe. It's a shame, since it was the largest in the Southeast, and it must have cost a small fortune.

Really? I couldn't afford to skate there much. Plus, I was too young to drive myself out there. It's too bad they couldn't do a sustainable business. I never saw anyone hitting that 11-12 ft halfpipe. It's a shame, since it was the largest in the Southeast, and it must have cost a small fortune.

Well, actually I got to skate for free, I made sure no food made it in to the skating section and that people had helmets on, so It did not cost me anything. Also, survival didn't have anything to do with how business was going, when their lease came up for renewal, the building owner refused to renew, he kicked them out nad then tried the run the place himself and ran it into the ground.

The Carolina Skate Park off HWY 290 in Duncan then was started by the people who started the park at Scuffletown, it still remains their till this day, but probubly only a few more months, building is under new ownership and the new owner wants them out.

I used to skate, but an unfortunate accident brought about the end of that pretty early on. I think that skating will only get bigger in our area. I wish that the local government would put aside money for a public skatepark. Heck, even Peterborough, NH has a public area with ramps, so why can't Greenville?

I used to skate, but an unfortunate accident brought about the end of that pretty early on. I think that skating will only get bigger in our area. I wish that the local government would put aside money for a public skatepark. Heck, even Peterborough, NH has a public area with ramps, so why can't Greenville?

Jarvisj3, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Brian at Blazer on Laurens road has been trying for years to get something public built in Greenville. From what he says, the city isn't interested due to liability reasons, as well as the fact that they don't think it will pay for itself. A quick feasibilty study would show that the liability issue is easily overcome, and thousands of parks have been successful all over the world. It's all a matter of priorities. I guess those of us who would like to see a park built just aren't as vocal as other special interest groups.

I'm not a hydro-engineer or anything, but my only concern having it above the falls is that there would have to be flow control at certain times of the day/week/month, depending on water levels, to create the optimal whitewater. This may impact the flow over the Reedy River Falls in Falls Park. However, this should be nothing unusual. From what I understand, they actually control the flow over Niagra Falls (for hydro-electric reasons) so that the tourists get a good show during the peak times and power is generated during others.

• 3 weeks later...

I found an interesting item in the Upstate Link's Daily Blog.

The nation's second largest skatepark is currently under construction (and has been for over two and a half years) along Roper Mountain Road. You can see some of its construction now at 1524 Roper Mountain Road.

The new skatepark in Greenville might jump the area onto the national skate scene map and it's set to open April 1.

The marketing director says there are binding contracts that make that skatepark stops for the following bigtime events: Gravity Games, X Games, ESPN Games, Mountain Dew tour and some others.

Has anybody seen or heard about this? I've been along Roper Mountain Road very often over the past few years and I've not noticed anything. :shok:

Well, they have a web site now, even if they don't yet have a name. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It has been four years now, and I believe the NAACP boycott is preventing a return visit, but the 2002 first two rounds of the NCAA tournament were one of the most special 3 day events Greenville has ever held. Sold out crowds at the Bi-Lo Center, a street festival on the Friday night between game days, etc. The event went a long way towards giving Greenville some national publicity.

The SEC women's tournament last year returned some of that excitement.

I wish the Bi-Lo center could hold a top notich holiday tournament featuring Clemson and some other top ranked teams. I know it's been tried before with limited success, but I believe it was marketed poorly.

Greenville can produce big time basketball events if marketed properly and I hope they will come again.

It has been four years now, and I believe the NAACP boycott is preventing a return visit, but the 2002 first two rounds of the NCAA tournament were one of the most special 3 day events Greenville has ever held. Sold out crowds at the Bi-Lo Center, a street festival on the Friday night between game days, etc. The event went a long way towards giving Greenville some national publicity.

The SEC women's tournament last year returned some of that excitement.

I wish the Bi-Lo center could hold a top notich holiday tournament featuring Clemson and some other top ranked teams. I know it's been tried before with limited success, but I believe it was marketed poorly.

Greenville can produce big time basketball events if marketed properly and I hope they will come again.

I agree!

One thing though, I hate the basketball set up for the Bilo Center. Because it was built to accomidate hockey, its weird shape seems to take the crowd out of the action to an extent. I felt really far away at the last game I went to there. Maybe it's just me... But I really hope the Bilo Center can get some Mens basketball tournaments and such! Maybe some baseball things with the new stadium! :whistling:

Archived