A Tribute to Local News Publishers & Broadcasters

goodbye

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I for one have been totally impressed with the improvements made by the news publishers and broadcasters in Greenville. We can expect interesting news to be printed or shown almost at any time regarding the development of our great City. There was a time (not too long ago) that I had personally "boycotted" the news because of the lack of any real effort to publish what interested me. Now they all seem to go the extra mile to dig up additional info for us. If nothing else, their ability to speak with people of prominence and share the thoughts of these individuals and organizations, gives them a great advantage in bringing stories of interest to we Greenville urbanites. So, hats off to each of the ones I can think of who've made progress through the years. I enjoy picking up each edition and tuning in to hear and see the latest on Greenville urban development news. :thumbsup:

If you can add any others, please do so.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having come from a big city, I disagree about the local media. In my opinion the local publishers and broadcasters make little effort to understand what they are writing and broadcasting. With the wave of development happening, and with as much air/print time that many of the stories get, I think they should make more of an effort to understand what they are reporting. I've personally experienced many times where they've gotten the story and the facts completely wrong.

Having come from a big city, I disagree about the local media.  In my opinion the local publishers and broadcasters make little effort to understand what they are writing and broadcasting.  With the wave of development happening, and with as much air/print time that many of the stories get, I think they should make more of an effort to understand what they are reporting.  I've personally experienced many times where they've gotten the story and the facts completely wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya. There's nothing like hearing the news anchor refer to the "Red Pontiac Grand Am" that was used for the getaway car in a bank robery when the snapshot taken from the survalence camera clearly shows a Burgandy Chevrolet Malibu. :wacko:

This is what I hoped we'd discuss within this thread. :thumbsup:

I agree that the local news organizations have a long way to go before they come up to the level of other metro publications and broadcast stations. I thought it would be a nice thing to give praise where it is due, because I grew up with these media outlets and have seen a tremendous improvement in very recent times. For example: the 'FYI' column in the Greenville Journal has been a wonderful addition to the Business section of that publication. It makes readers feel that the publisher is really interested in finding out information on stories that aren't yet in the mainstream news. It also gives them the ability to claim first priority on a specific development story. JMO. :)

This is interesting, because I feel that Greenville's televison media (especially WYFF-TV) is FAR superior to just about any other newscast I have seen. Go to bigger cities like Atlanta, Chicago, Boston, etc., and watch their newscasts. They are not nearly as professional as the WYFF anchors. The sets look outdated, as compared to WYFF's very classy and modern sets. As for content, I don't know about that, but I have seen such mediocre newscasts from other metros and large cities that I concluded a few years ago that WYFF is outstanding.

I agree that the Greenville News leaves something to be desired, and I wish the paper had a little more to it each day. I like the Greenville Journal much more, although I suppose that's not really a fair comparison. :)

WYFF is by far the best station in the Upstate for news about Greenville developments. I hope they continue to find the stories and keep us up to date. I agree that their studio design is very appealing compared with the others - something about the pictures of downtown in the background that makes me feel good. ^_^

The Greenville News has also shown incredible signs of progres in the Metro and Upstate development news category. I've found many articles recently about different developments happening throughout the entire market. I think they ought to devote a daily column to the major Greenville projects and announcements though. :rolleyes:

I agree that the Greenville Journal currently gets the nod as the most rewarding read on development news, but GSABusiness also has some fabulously long articles with great quotes and attention to detail. :)

The sets look outdated, as compared to WYFF's very classy and modern sets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WYFF is getting a brand new set, too! I'm looking forward to seeing it unveiled.

As for content, I don't know about that, but I have seen such mediocre newscasts from other metros and large cities that I concluded a few years ago that WYFF is outstanding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is true that WYFF has a more professional news cast than many larger markets. I would have to agree with this, having lived in larger markets myself. The one thing that bugs me (and apparently tiger96 as well) is that so many facts are reported incorrectly. This isn't a problem that is germame to our area. It's a national phenomenon. Local News outlets typically care more about their delivery of the news than the facts. If you do find some rare media outlets that care equally about both, those usually lose their reporters to the national organizations or major markets.

This is interesting, because I feel that Greenville's televison media (especially WYFF-TV) is FAR superior to just about any other newscast I have seen.  Go to bigger cities like Atlanta, Chicago, Boston, etc., and watch their newscasts.  They are not nearly as professional as the WYFF anchors.  The sets look outdated, as compared to WYFF's very classy and modern sets.  As for content, I don't know about that, but I have seen such mediocre newscasts from other metros and large cities that I concluded a few years ago that WYFF is outstanding.

I agree that the Greenville News leaves something to be desired, and I wish the paper had a little more to it each day.  I like the Greenville Journal much more, although I suppose that's not really a fair comparison. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coming from the NYC market, I see the local news as somewhat lower quality. I mean NY has the best of everything since when you tune in NBC, CBS & ABC you are tuning in the mother ship. The downside was, I lived about 60 miles north of NYC, so we had no local news. All I ever saw was NYC news.

When I came down here, I gladly traded the professionalism for the stories that actually affect me. I'm not used to looking at the "on location" reporter and recognizing right where they are standing. To me, that's a new experience. :thumbsup:

The Greenville News is LOUSY! but I enjoy reading what few stories they do cover.

I love WYFF. Their approach to things is unmatched in the Upstate SC, Western NC market. BUT! I don't like their new set AT ALL! gah, i liked have downtown Greenville behing them. The new one is such a let down...

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they will appeal to more audiences without seeming too biased toward Greenville (with the skyline back there)... I don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say that is exactly what they are trying to do. Its not just Greenville's station (thought it may as well be).

They still have skyline shots in the program. They had a night time skyline shot last night as they were going to commercial one time I think.

WLOS sucks and are almost exclusively Asheville coverage. Why is it so wrong for WYFF to be almost exclusively Greenville, and be proud of it? Especially since WSPA seems to focus on Sparkle City a little more than the others (or used to, anyway).

I think Fox Carolina has a solid newscast. I still prefer WYFF, but Fox is a strong second IMO.

It used to be that all the station shad fairly even coverage, with only slight biases towards their hometowns.

But then 7 and 4 started this "South Carolina First" thing, and it all started to polarize from there.

Now we have this set up:

WYFF = Greenville, Anderson, Pickens, Laurens

WSPA= Spartanburg, Union, Cherokee, Greenwood, probably Polk

WLOS= Asheville and all of western NC

WHNS= They just suck IMO.

then we have the low contenders

32, which is WSPA's news for NE Georgia

62, UPN, which has a 10:00 news that WSPA also does

My thing with FOX is that they always seem to be wrong about simple things, like street names, or images corrospnding to what they are talkign about, names of areas that they are showing. The kicker for me was when they said the Columbia Bombers were playing at Municipal Stadium against some other team. Apparantly they didn't get the memo that they moved to Greenville. Seems to me that kind of thing would be big news for the area, and they might make sure they had their facts straight. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Archived