A Tribute to Local News Publishers & Broadcasters

goodbye

My thing with FOX is that they always seem to be wrong about simple things, like street names, or images corrospnding to what they are talkign about, names of areas that they are showing. The kicker for me was when they said the Columbia Bombers were playing at Municipal Stadium against some other team. Apparantly they didn't get the memo that they moved to Greenville. Seems to me that kind of thing would be big news for the area, and they might make sure they had their facts straight. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. "FOX Carolina" seems to have spread themselves too thin trying to cover all of the Upstate and Western North Carolina, too. They've got a lot of glitz and glamour going on there, but the facts are just wrong a lot of the time...usually simple facts, but facts none-the-less. Plus, they tend to over-sensationalize things tht I don't consider to be "newsworthy." :sick:

I finally caught a WYFF newscast last night. I personally like the new set. Sure, it doesn't show Greenville in the background; however, it's probably the most professional looking set I've seen them operate from. :thumbsup:

Now, if they could just resist the need to put various crimes as the lead stories every night. :whistling:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have y'all given the thought that WYFF changed their set because they knew that when the new construction starts on the new buildings downtown. They didn't want

to have an old image behind them. -_-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good point too. I mean, their old set was and old picture anyway. The old Spring St Garage, No Elliot Davis Building, The Wachovia Place was still not done, among other notable changes... Just a thought.

Slightly off topic, but if you ever go into The Print Machine on Laurens Rd, they have an awsome shot of downtown in the back to the right.

I think taking off the image of Greenville will help boost its appeal in other cities. When you live in a community that you consider significant you dont like to watch something that obviously caters to another. I never watched channel 4 for two reasons, 1- they always seemed to neglect Spartanburg, and two, I couldn't pick it up as well as WCNC out of Charlotte.

Channel 7 seems to always have something about where I lived (Spartanburg). But this also caters to viewer demands. I have a friend who works up at WSPA and he tells me that they get calls complaining almost every time they show an area outside of Spartanburg County. A station has to listen to its viewers. I imagine that the other stations have similar troubles.

That makes sense, Spartan. That is why I very rarely WSPA (Spartanburg focus) and never watch WLOS (Asheville focus). Nobody wants to see areas that they are not interested in. That is why I wish WYFF would stick to their Greenville focus. There are already other stations focusing more on Spartanburg and Asheville. If WYFF tries to branch out too much, they will end up like Fox Carolina who has spread themselves too thinly.

Viewer demands are important, but a station also has to look at ways to reach the most people. I guess that is a delicate balance to strike, since many try to have enough coverage of smaller areas to keep those people interested without distracting too much from the major areas and losing the bulk of their audience.

Slightly off topic, but if you ever go into The Print Machine on Laurens Rd, they have an awsome shot of downtown in the back to the right.

I think taking off the image of Greenville will help boost its appeal in other cities. When you live in a community that you consider significant you dont like to watch something that obviously caters to another. I never watched channel 4 for two reasons, 1- they always seemed to neglect Spartanburg, and two, I couldn't pick it up as well as WCNC out of Charlotte.

Channel 7 seems to always have something about where I lived (Spartanburg). But this also caters to viewer demands. I have a friend who works up at WSPA and he tells me that they get calls complaining almost every time they show an area outside of Spartanburg County. A station has to listen to its viewers. I imagine that the other stations have similar troubles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's the exact reason that I don't watch Channel 7 or 13. they only focus on their home area. So, WYFF might as well not change their coverage. But you know, when you think about it, it might just be better for us all. That way, if you're from... say, Spartanburg, you're not annoyed by the Anderson or Greenville stuff that is aired on WYFF. And therefore, if it's a big story, you'll see it, but mostly just the stuff that matters to you!

Extra special THANKS to The Greenville News for the fabulous article in today's Business section! This is just the kind of reading we enjoy most. :thumbsup:

I'm very excited that more focus is being turned to the West Greenville area. I would love to see that area become one of the most desireable communities in Greenville - after downtown, of course. Many of my friends and I hope the City's vision for an arts & entertainment district in the West End isn't forgotten with the plans for major development around the new ballpark. I would really love to see a few top-of-the-line theme restaurants (very like ones you'd find on I-drive in Orlando) and an IMAX theatre in that general vicinity. Hope definitely remains! :D

Read the article here!

Extra special THANKS to The Greenville News for the fabulous article in today's Business section!  This is just the kind of reading we enjoy most. :thumbsup:

I'm very excited that more focus is being turned to the West Greenville area.  I would love to see that area become one of the most desireable communities in Greenville - after downtown, of course.  Many of my friends and I hope the City's vision for an arts & entertainment district in the West End isn't forgotten with the plans for major development around the new ballpark.  I would really love to see a few top-of-the-line theme restaurants (very like ones you'd find on I-drive in Orlando) and an IMAX theatre in that general vicinity.  Hope definitely remains! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll second that Skyliner. :thumbsup:

Great story. And thanks to Nancy Whitworth for her hard work to help bring Greenville to the place that it is now. As well as what's in place for the future.

Yeah, Ms. Whitworth has done so much for the city of Greenville. So many of us have benefitted from her tireless efforts. Hopefully she will continue to be involved with Greenville's development for a long time.

Skyliner, I would also like to see the West End become Greenville's theatre and arts district. I really wish we could build a new art museum in that area. Is that doable, or will it mostly likely be at Heritage Green forever? I continue to dislike Heritage Green's location in relation to everything else downtown, but oh well.

If the art museum would be open until 9:00 or 10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday nights, I think more people would be interested in it. I have never understood why most museums close so early when a lot of people might be interested in going out for dinner downtown and then checking out the museum. If museums could be open later and be located in high-traffic areas (e.g., West End), usage would greatly increase. That's what I think, anyway. :)

I am also ready for us to get an IMAX theater. Charleston has one, so we should too! Didn't someone say that one is planned for somewhere downtown?

Sasaki included one in their original master plan for the Reedy River corridor, but I haven't heard much talk of one lately. I hope the idea isn't pushed to the back shelf. Greenville could definitely use one to help promote itself to visitors and area residents. :)

I would really love to see a few top-of-the-line theme restaurants (very like ones you'd find on I-drive in Orlando).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:sick:

My apologies, Skyliner, but I'm not so sure I want to see the West End District in Greenville become anything remotely like International Drive in O-Town. Ack! Thppppt!

As for the IMAX theatre, I would LOVE to see one down in the West End. :thumbsup: That'd be yet another attraction to bring people down there.

I hope the West End continues to expand and grow as Greenville's Arts and Entertainment District, too! It just fits.

I lived in Orlando/Winter Park from 1992 through 2001, so please understand my reasoning for not wanting any part of Greenville to be like I-Drive.

I wouldn't mind some more nice restaurants in the West End - even a couple of well-established national chains. However, I'm not so sure about the idea of having "theme restaurants" in Greenville. It really depends on your definition of a "theme restaurant," I suppose. To me, this phrase conjures images of Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede, Medieval Times, Pirates Dinner Theatre, Race Rock, etc. Now that I think of it, you could also be referring to places like Hard Rock Cafe, House of Blues, (my personal favorite) Bahama Breeze, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing Flat Rock Grille or Roy's open a location down in the West End. I'd really love to see a House of Blues or a Hard Rock Cafe; however, Charlotte doesn't even have one of those yet, so I doubt we'd be so lucky. Maybe even a Moe's Southwestern Grill wouldn't be so bad.

One idea I've had in the past was, "The Great Plains Plantation Historic Restaurant and Museum." It would be a replica of the mill that used to be located at Reedy Falls, and would have old pictures and artifacts from the area. Other ideas would be art gallery restaurants, or an independent film theatre with a restaurant. A Darryl's would be great in the West End. :)

I totally understand your perspective, coming from Orlando. It is a "cheap" feeling in general. ;)

Archived