Nashville construction and such

it's just dave

I've been taking pictures, lots of them, and decided it was time to post a few. This is a few random shots around town of some of the current projects.

11th Avenue in the Gulch with some of the infrastructure improvements. If you lived at the ICON, this would be your view.

11thAve073105.JPG

Capitol Blvd project making good progress.

CBlvd062705.JPG

Church Street

Church073105.JPG

Down with the old, and up with the new Demonbreun Street bridge, spanning the Gulch

DBridge073105.JPG

Gulch, under construction Sambuca Restaurant, alongside Ru Sans

Gulch073105.JPG

In its finall two weeks, the original Houston's Restaurant. Developers are wagging their tongues at this property. West End Lofts I and II in the background.

Houstons0710.JPG

Newly completed Legislative Plaza

LPlaza062705.JPG

31st Avenue. Old Maberta Apts. along with two adjoining houses are now gone (sad) to make way for large Midtown Lofts project

Maberta071005.JPG

A little dark, but the Symphony Center is moving along.

SSC071005.JPG

Soon to rise SunTrust Plaza, Renaissance Hotel in background, Ryman to the left

SunTrust073105.JPG

The old West End apt site is now fully cleared to make way for luxury 10-story condo development. Across the street, sort of to the MIdtown Lofts

WEApts071005.JPG

That should do it for now.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cant believe all of the progress nashville is making, it looks great

i also cant believe that the original houston's is closing and not planning on ever re-opening in the city that gave it life. i love that restaurant. suck it up, stop being babies and pay the damn lease. it's not like houston's is a struggling restaurant that makes no money. some people

BNA, I'm sure glad you dropped in. Yeah, SSP (and that other one), we know where we're not appreciated. That site gets quite cluttered with all the "we're better than you" threads, or "we have this, we have that" stuff. Not interested so much in that. This is becoming a real community without the pressures of having to "defend" anything. I know the kinds of things you want to see, so I'll start uploading some more pics as soon as I can. Here, we get good Memphis and Nashville threads, not so much Chatt or Knox (but hopefully, that will change). Lots going on, lots to talk about....and lots of things bursting out of the ground to see.

Is the new Demonbreun bridge going to be fairly generic or will it be a nicer, modern design? I hope the later. I have to admit that I was just slightly underwhelmed with the Gateway Bridge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like the design of the Gateway Bridge. Its not too many ways you can build a bridge, if you try to do too much no one will like it. What kind of structure would you like to see built in place of the old DS bridge?

Good riddance to the West End apartments. That place just looked like trouble when you walked by it....really bad vibe. Wouldn't have wanted to have hung around it at night. Which is odd, since that part of West End has a really good vibe outside of little sites like that.

@ Dave - Any news on if Salathai is going to be taken out along with Fuddruckers?

I really like the design of the Gateway Bridge.  Its not too many ways you can build a bridge, if you try to do too much no one will like it.  What kind of structure would you like to see built in place of the old DS bridge?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will the Demonbreun Bridge have steps to the gulch? I think that's an important part of any new viaduct. It would tie the upper levels in with the lower levels.

Oh yeah, in a big way. Great shops, retail (kitchen stores, interior design, art supply and graphic desgin, archiects, contemporary furniture, fitness, art galleries, etc). Upper floors are lots of entertainment companies and some the city's more funky independent record labels, PR firms and businesses of that ilk. That building itself and its occupants would make a nice thread in itself. Some of the funkiness inside in unbelievable.

Wow!! Really!!! That sounds like the sort of place I will love to spend my Sunday afternoons at!!!

From the shot I saw of it (at Nashville.org), I got the impression that it was an abandoned factory, or something. I guess it was just a bad photograph. Is it in the Gulch? It sounds like an awesome place!!!!

I really like the design of the Gateway Bridge.  Its not too many ways you can build a bridge, if you try to do too much no one will like it.  What kind of structure would you like to see built in place of the old DS bridge?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gateway Bridge is a clean design but boring and, IMHO, adds little uniqueness to the Nashville waterfront. I would have preferred something a little more soulful but just as modern along the lines of some the beautiful bridges one sees throught the Netherlands. Nothing too gaudy but perhaps something that could have actually been a modern "rival" of the Shelby Street and feel like an actual gateway. Michigan just completed a very similar bridge to Nashville's Gateway between Ann Arbor and Detroit on I-94 and, shockingly, it is also coined Gateway Bridge. Wonder if they wree designed by the same team?!?

I think the Demonbreun bridge would look nice in a more traditional European style with a lot of stonework, some benches, nice lamps, and, like someone else mentioned, stairs. Maybe this would cost more money than many would want to dump into the bridge. The people in the Gulch are going to be looking out their window at that thing everyday. I'm sure they don't want to look at your stock concrete slabs and steel. A nice bridge could also really set that area off. It wouldn't have to "steal the thunder" of the neighboring buildings but instead give the area an unique and complete feel with Union Station nearby.

people are acting like they havent seen the renderings of the demonbreun street bridge, here is the link

http://www.nashville.gov/pw/demonbreun_viaduct_design.htm

it has no stairs, and is very simple

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be because some of us had not seen it yet. ;)

The rendering looks nice. Fairly close to what I was envisioning. :thumbsup:

Archived