Intelligent design and creationism

cityboi

That's one reason why I say that a "strict" scientific viewpoint as it regards this issue isn't as strict as those who espouse it would like to think.

A strict scientific viewpoint does not consider an intelligent creator unless presented with physical evidence of such a being. Nothing is taken on faith in science. Is it possible that some intelligence created the universe? Sure, but until there is some verifiable, repeatable sign of the creator's existence, saying so is not science. It's that simple.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're saying that the process of evolution acts to improve a species' ability to support and protect itself, then I agree. However, I don't see how such a notion is in any way unscientific or has anything in common with ID/creationism. As environmental factors change, so species evolve to accomodate these changes.

In my view, it simply demonstrates that science also has philosophical underpinnings. Science doesn't start with science.

well said. reading back through this entire thread, everything you've posted pretty much has been.

i better shut up; a thread like this should only elicit one comment from me, or i'll be typing all the time...you know how these discussions are.......

even if it is more spirituality than religion, the case a lot of the intelligent design folks are trying to make is that evolution is not a proven theory almost to the point where they're saying it's completely unproven, which is just not the case. i have no problem with people learning about intelligent design, but not in science class. intelligent design is something that cannot ever be proven 100% true, while evolution does have that chance (and micro-evolution has basically been proven true). macro-evolution, such as the idea that humans came from monkeys, can be a bit more questionable, although it is not at all in question that we are related to apes.

if they want to teach intelligent design in religion class, that's fine, but it does not belong in science class because it is completely unrelated to science. but i think their problem is that religion classes are not allowed in public schools, and rightfully so, because you'd have to teach about hundreds of different relgions, including atheism (which, to a degree, can be considered a religion).

I remember my teachers were nuns and abbots. When I was 7, Sister Martine teached to my class geography, biology and prehistory, the next hour she sang playing guitar, we recited prayers. That's correct. Religion and science are two different things. Don't mix them.

Religion + politics = poison.

Science + politics = poison.

Religion + science = 'no through road'.

Humans came from monkey ?

We are Bilaterians because our body is antero-posterior and dorso-ventral, we have a head, a central nervous system, etc. We have a skull : we are craniates. We have bones : Vertebrates. A jaw ? Gnathostomata. Alveolar lungs ? Rhipidistia. Nipples ? Theria. A nose ? Haplorrhini. Tailless ? Hominoidea. The Hominina we are had the good idea to walk standing up not just because this position developed the head but it developed also the buttocks.

To be accurate

<snip>

That what we are. At the extremity of a long evolution.

I wouldnt say human evolution was long, infact I'd say Human evolution has been the fastest evolution in history.

Considering dinosaurs took 100s of millions of years to evolve, and Humans more or less took 1 million years between Australopithecus, and Homo Sapiens. Only insects, and small animals have had faster evolutionary speeds.

I wouldnt say human evolution was long, infact I'd say Human evolution has been the fastest evolution in history.

Considering dinosaurs took 100s of millions of years to evolve, and Humans more or less took 1 million years between Australopithecus, and Homo Sapiens. Only insects, and small animals have had faster evolutionary speeds.

Because we are standing up and we have developed the brain not in size but in complexity. The development can be rapid or slow, a change can occure in 1 / 2 millions years.

All depends of the environment, some species needn't to adapt. The oldest traces of life are cyanobacteria : stromatolites dated 3.5 billion years. There are stromatolites today, they have no changed. The longer life is a bacteria (genus Bacillus) found by Russell Vreeland in salt crystals 569 meters below the surface, in Carlsbad, New Mexico, it lives since 250 million years.

Archived