Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

I actually like the Symphony Center! It is one of my favorite buildings downtown, although I agree that it is in an odd location.

I think that's just it, is that it seems to get lost in all that's happening around the Square. City Hall, the Liberty building, and the Poinsett Hotel are all around 10 stories, and the old courthouse has quite a presence with its grand facade, steps, and tower feature, but then the Symphony Center gets lost in that somewhere. And this is why I asked if it had some significant historical value or something?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Alittle HDR perhaps? how many exposures? Did you alter Iso, shutter, and aperature for each exposure? or was it just photoshoped? Very cool.

Only one exposure (i.e. no HDR). The only modification is that the color saturation for the sky was bumped very slightly using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (not the full-blown Photoshop CS2 or CS3...can't afford it) to bring it out more...that's the actual color of the sky at dusk from the shot. Had I realized it was there, I would likely have gone to the Liberty Bridge first rather than to the Swamp Rabbit.

Here are the technical details:

• Exposure: 30 sec (30)
  • Aperture: f/8
  • Focal Length: 10 mm
  • ISO Speed: 100
  • Exposure Bias: 0/2 EV

Edited by RestedTraveler

Only one exposure (i.e. no HDR). The only modification is that the color saturation for the sky was bumped very slightly using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (not the full-blown Photoshop CS2 or CS3...can't afford it) to bring it out more...that's the actual color of the sky at dusk from the shot. Had I realized it was there, I would likely have gone to the Liberty Bridge first rather than to the Swamp Rabbit.

Here are the technical details:

• Exposure: 30 sec (30)
  • Aperture: f/8
  • Focal Length: 10 mm
  • ISO Speed: 100
  • Exposure Bias: 0/2 EV

Thank you so much for sharing the details. I was looking at these on your "virb" site last night and trying to figure out how you were doing them. They are beautiful. I do have a question. Have you done any postcards for the City of Greenville, or Greenville County? If not, I think they should hire you.

Thank you so much for sharing the details. I was looking at these on your "virb" site last night and trying to figure out how you were doing them. They are beautiful. I do have a question. Have you done any postcards for the City of Greenville, or Greenville County? If not, I think they should hire you.

My pleasure! I used to leave the EXIF data public on flickr, but I found that it divulged entirely too much information that I didn't necessarily want to be public. I've not done any postcards. I've seen some awfully nice ones at Mast and at Twigs near the Westin Poinsett, though, if you know anybody looking for some. I honestly think that aren't enough long exposure night shots of downtown though. I'd love to do my part to help change that. Our little city surely is magical after dark.

My pleasure! I used to leave the EXIF data public on flickr, but I found that it divulged entirely too much information that I didn't necessarily want to be public. I've not done any postcards. I've seen some awfully nice ones at Mast and at Twigs near the Westin Poinsett, though, if you know anybody looking for some. I honestly think that aren't enough long exposure night shots of downtown though. I'd love to do my part to help change that. Our little city surely is magical after dark.

RT, you should definitely do some postcards. Heck, you and several others here could open a gallery in the West End and do quite well for yourselves. :)

I have never seen Greenville postcards. Where in Mast do they sell Greenville stuff? I missed that section the last time I was there looking specifically for that...

I have never seen Greenville postcards. Where in Mast do they sell Greenville stuff? I missed that section the last time I was there looking specifically for that...

They are up at the front counter (the one just inside the Main Street entrance), next to the Life is Good bumper stickers and the Jibitz.

I was out of town during Art in the Park this year, but I understand our old friend NYTransplant had his very own tent there. :shades: My residency here has been so up in the air that I've never given total thought to trying to establish myself here because I never know how long I'm going to be here or I may have given it a shot.

Edited by RestedTraveler