Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

I realize that doughnuts are not healthy, but if you're gonna splurge it's at least nice to know you aren't damaging your heart with nasty trans fats. :)

if you're going to gain weight, you might as well be eating something delicious!

Edited by GvilleSC

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we positive that it won't be Dunkin' Donuts? I agree that this would be a great location for them!

With their aggressive expansion strategy in the upstate, a downtown location (or two) seems very likely. For fellow health nuts, I recently learned that their entire menu is now trans fat free! :yahoo:

I realize that doughnuts are not healthy, but if you're gonna splurge it's at least nice to know you aren't damaging your heart with nasty trans fats. :)

Krispy Kreme is also trans fat free, and it would be great to get them back downtown again.

Im really glad that this hotel is comming along nicely. I dont think this will have any hiccups like the peacock site did. I think its also going to blow the peacocks architecture away. a crane shouldnt be too far off once they get some other stuff squared away. Triangle is the GC on this building.

October 12, 2005

4b8a4398.jpg

Anyone know the history of this?

Holy Old Post Batman! :o

I know this is re-hashing a very old topic, but I was just thumbing through the old posts and saw this. I think I can shed a little light on this picture. This area of the Park is called the "Spring Garden". Behind the gate is a natural spring. The spring still runs from time to time, although its just a few drops. As far as I know this part of the park was "man-made" around 1916 or 1926 ( I saw a picture of the construction today..but I'm not absolutley sure of the year) the stairs and rock walls date from that construction. I can only assume the little "cave" around the spring was built then probably minus the gate.

edit: i guess I should have read a few pages on..the question has already been answered, but there is a little more info for you all.

Edited by Travo

Cricket, I'm stumped on your picture's location. I'm leaning toward the West End...

gsupstate, I like the new billboard! Thanks for capturing it and sharing.

johnpro318, I like your vantage point from River Street. It's not a view typically seen, YET anyway.

GvilleSC, it is located on the Centre Stage building on River Street (behind the Poinsett, old courthouse and Symphany building).

I agree with GvilleSC, johnpro318, a good vantage point!

This is my first post to the photo of the day thread, and its not a very good photo as it was taken with my phone. I promise I'll get a better one up before we remove these flowers in April. This is the Greenville "G" logo planted in flowers (pansies and parsley). The bed is located in the middle of the traffic circle at Howe St. behind county square. You can't see what the design is from ground level and the best place to view it would be from the air or the top of University St. The bed was planted by the Falls Park crew back in November.

click for the full image: feel free to browse my other galleries, I'm sure there are some more impressive shots in there.

2688795140096578563anEQuH_th.jpg

Edited by Travo

I wasl looking through some old pictures and saw this one. It was right when Katrina had hit. I remember hoping that we would never see those prices on regular basis. Now, I think 3.00 a gallon might be nice!

I had filled up a few days before, and can easily go 2-3 weeks between fill-ups, so I never had to pay those outrageous prices at that time. Ah, the good old days! :lol:

2354107596_ff0818ed9c.jpg

Meet Walter and Autumn, the newest additions to the Greenville Zoo.

Walter hails from San Diego, California and is said to be a mean surfer, spending much of his youth hitting the TALL surf at the point at La Jolla with Ed Vedder.

Autumn is from Boston and is said to be a HUGE Red Sox (and G-Drive) fan.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Great shot RT! I've been meaning to get be the zoo for months now.

Continuing my Snow theme here is a shot of the Main St. bridge with RiverPlace in the background. I just love the contrasting colors in this shot, especially with the ice covered tree in the foreground. As you can tell my lens was a little wet..ice was still coming down at this point.

2352526212_23fc75e3b0_b.jpg

It's cold enough this morning that I'm wishing for snow...but I think the snow is gone for the year, thankfully. Great shots, Travo! Hope your camera didn't get too wet. I've had bad luck with wet cameras, myself.

Here's my installment for today and likely my last of the week unless I can get out again and make more photos:

2355208431_be52153522.jpg

Holy Old Post Batman! :o

I know this is re-hashing a very old topic, but I was just thumbing through the old posts and saw this. I think I can shed a little light on this picture. This area of the Park is called the "Spring Garden". Behind the gate is a natural spring. The spring still runs from time to time, although its just a few drops. As far as I know this part of the park was "man-made" around 1916 or 1926 ( I saw a picture of the construction today..but I'm not absolutley sure of the year) the stairs and rock walls date from that construction. I can only assume the little "cave" around the spring was built then probably minus the gate.

edit: i guess I should have read a few pages on..the question has already been answered, but there is a little more info for you all.

I seem to remember reading that this little spring house was built when the WPA under Roosevelt came in an did all of the rock-scaping along the banks of the park as part of an effort to make an arboretum when Furman's campus was there on the hill. I believe the Carolina Foothills Garden Club may have been involved too. I'll need to track down where I read about this.