Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to each of you for the replies! Travo, I wish there would be a way to get that leaning lamppost plumbed up to match everything else. It really bugs me, especially considering it is right in the center of the RiverPlace riverwalk area, directly in front of the attractive fountain, and visible from almost every angle.

I over-saturated the color in this shot to give it a different appearance:

FallsPark2008.jpg

@ Skyliner. I know what you mean about the lamp post that isn't quite straight. There are several of them throughout the park that are leaning. We figure either cars hit them, or people jump up on them for a "singing in the rain" moment. As far as I know that is a Duke Power problem since they are the ones that installed them. If it really bothers you call the Greenville Cares hotline and tell them about it. Greenville Cares has a way of getting things done when nobody else can.

Awesome! I love the sidewalk art! Is the closest one suppose to be a hole in the sidewalk? I hope they increase these in number each year. I like the feel they add to the Riverwalk and the artsy aspect of the West End.

I can't see the photo since I'm at work, but I spoke to the artist on Sunday. He said he was going for a 3-D effect. It's a small waterfall that runs into a Koi pond. He uses regular chalk to create it, and the city coats it with polyurethane. He said it is very rare that this type of art gets preserved like that.

Edited by Galley

I can't see the photo since I'm at work, but I spoke to the artist on Sunday. He said he was going for a 3-D effect. It's a small waterfall that runs into a Koi pond. He uses regular chalk to create it, and the city coats it with polyurethane. He said it is very rare that thus type of art gets preserved like that.

Thanks, I thought that was what I was looking at. I like it!

^ Beautiful photos Skyliner and p2y2r7o. :)

Below is not a beauty shot, but shows the lasting legacy of Greenville's (and SC's) textile heritage. A shot of a store in Santiago, Chile. Strangest thing, in looking at the tags in the store, most said China. :rolleyes:

DSC04603.jpg

I wasl looking through some old pictures and saw this one. It was right when Katrina had hit. I remember hoping that we would never see those prices on regular basis. Now, I think 3.00 a gallon might be nice!

I saw deisel outside Nashville Sunday for 4.09 per

Doesn't that last picture belong in the grit thread? :lol:

I am drawn to "grittily" -industrial stuff. I just see it as part of the fabric of Greenville and IMO just dosn't fit in a "not so pretty " thread. I am posting these photos with out recommending a change or a need to demolished just part of our history in Greenville.

Excellent photo Trey and excellent comment Zahc!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

...:) .... I was talking to another artist/writer last night about the old Starlight Lounge photo & showed him the photo here...He, too, thought the same about a story idea here of intrigue and mystery and "history"...What amazed him was the absence of windows in Starlight. I imagine there once were in the in front; and perhaps a skylight...I love that photograph so much.

Can anyone make out the subtext or the slogan of Starlight Lounge? We couldn't figure all of it out...