Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

An obvious :good: for this. But I gotta say that its also hard to look at, because there are some buildings there that should still be standing. Most prominently the old city hall. Can you believe they tore it down to build a very small parking garage? Yes, it had a "plaza" with a monolithic sculpture-fountain, but still. And all that destruction happened on Max Heller's watch.

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

How the times have changed. 1972...

A201CA3F-3E3B-4561-AA00-4AD2D0EA8779.jpeg

Wow...there's been a few new additions :lol:  Unfortunately....many that are gone.  The old City Hall is standing...must have been demolished soon after this pic.  Good to see SCN building standing...gone in 1975. The Peoples Bank (later BOA) building wasn't built (1973)....notice how small trees were for Church /Cleveland St exit.   Many changes....thanks for sharing.   

15 minutes ago, Exile said:

An obvious :good: for this. But I gotta say that its also hard to look at, because there are some buildings there that should still be standing. Most prominently the old city hall. Can you believe they tore it down to build a very small parking garage? Yes, it had a "plaza" with a monolithic sculpture-fountain, but still. And all that destruction happened on Max Heller's watch.

A lot of 'construction' happened on Max's watch as well....

Edited by cabelagent

2 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Wow...there's been a few new additions :lol:  Unfortunately....many that are gone.  The old City Hall is standing...must have been demolished soon after this pic.  Good to see SCN building standing...gone in 1975. The Peoples Bank (later BOA) building wasn't built (1973)....notice how small trees were for Church /Cleveland St exit.   Many changes....thanks for sharing.   

A lot of 'construction' happened on Max's watch as well....

You can also see that there's no Beattie Place, and you can see the tail end of the curb market over there next to the cemetery. The Carolina is still over there catty-corner from the Daniel Bldg, and I have no memory of the mod-looking building next to it--which you might otherwise take for the Hyatt. What was that building? I'm drawing a total blank.

6 hours ago, Exile said:

You can also see that there's no Beattie Place, and you can see the tail end of the curb market over there next to the cemetery. The Carolina is still over there catty-corner from the Daniel Bldg, and I have no memory of the mod-looking building next to it--which you might otherwise take for the Hyatt. What was that building? I'm drawing a total blank.

The mod-looking building was the Downtowner Motor Inn built in 1963...it replaced the demolished Ottaray Hotel.  It was demolished (along with several others) for the new Beattie Place road.  

Downtowner Motor Inn Greenville South Carolina

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cabelagent said:

The mod-looking building was the Downtowner Motor Inn built in 1963...it replaced the demolished Ottaray Hotel.  It was demolished (along with several others) for the new Beattie Place road.  

Downtowner Motor Inn Greenville South Carolina

Thanks. I do now have a very vague recollection of it.

I never went in there, but I assume the lobby would have had a restaurant and  been circa Brady Bunch, or more likely It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

The only downtown motor hotel I remember distinctly is the Travelodge that was just north of Church and Beattie. Not so much because of the motel itself, but because of the sleepwalking bear billboard advertisement for it.

Here's my attempt at an inventory. Other old-timers may remember more.

1) Curb Market

2) Carolina Theater (back of it)

3) Downtowner Motor Inn

4) Fox Theater (not the taller building)

5) Fidelity Federal (which became American Federal). Now Regions, with a MAJOR renovation back in the 80's some time, I think. Only Greenville recladding I can think of. They might have added a floor, too.

6) Woodside/SCN building

7) Textile Hall (another tragedy)

8) Belk Simpson (my preferred dept store all the way up till it closed)

9) City Hall, which would have been a great front for a major hotel project like Marriott that's there now

10)  C&S drive-thru (C&S had a large branch bank building which, along with its parking lot, occupied the entire Bowater site)

11) Electric Warehouse(?). Anybody remember that place? It was over there somewhere. That and O'Sullivans in Taylors were basically the sum total of the city's big music/bar scene in the 70's, as far as I knew.

12) This "flatiron", I believe...

DTGV1972.jpg

Edited by Exile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful day to stroll around downtown today...many others took advantage as well. Artisphere should have a good weekend...hope many visitors arrive to enjoy weather & spend money in a beautiful city  :good:

C7561CF6-EED5-4A52-8615-421117509B52.jpeg

Edited by cabelagent
  • Like 4