Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

Please give credit for these three great aerial shots to Phillips Sky Shots and the Greenville News. Thanks.

bilde-8.jpg

bilde-10.jpg

bilde-9.jpg

-Here is the Greenville News article about a guy named Kelly Phillips who took these great pics with his remote control airplane that I actually saw on opening night of West End Field: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../607230305/1003

THESE are Great!!! West End Field looks like a field in the Majors. And how many bridges cross the Reedy in Greenville? Didn't realize Greenville had a zoo. I certainly look forward to my trip there...which, unfortunately, will have to be delayed until Spring or Summer 2007 due to a WORK PROJECT. I work with the chief surgeon of cv anesthesia & his group at Kaiser hospital in San Francisco...Used to work for Bank of America until NationsBank took it over & moved HQ out of SF...

Edited by Zahc

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THESE are Great!!! West End Field looks like a field in the Majors. And how many bridges cross the Reedy in Greenville? Didn't realize Greenville had a zoo. I certainly look forward to my trip there...which will have to be delayed due to a WORK PROJECT until Spring or Summer 2007.

Spring or Summer 2007 won't be so bad. The city only gets better everyday... :)

I imagine it won't be so hot since Greenville is in the mountain/foothills. I hate the HEAT...And California got more than its share of heat this year with 130 people dying from all that heat inland. Fortunately, SF got only as hot as 83 degrees, which was pretty miserable since there is no AC here...until the natural fog returns.

I imagine it won't be so hot since Greenville is in the mountain/foothills. I hate the HEAT...And California got more than its share of heat this year with 130 people dying from all that heat inland. Fortunately, SF got only as hot as 83 degrees, which was pretty miserable since there is no AC here...until the natural fog returns.

The high today is near 100 here. Heat index is well above it. The humidity is awful. The AC is what makes in tolerable though. I cant imagine living in a place where they are not common. I think I would buy one anyway :)

can you give me any feedback on hotels i listed below? for moment we are leaning toward the Hyatt Regency, which seems to be in the heart of downtown...if you know of any good bed & breakfast places let me know. i'll be visiting with my best friend, a painter/artist, from heidleberg, germany (a gorgeous town!) who has never been to The South...so it should be fun showing someone an entirely new culture; though, I am more familiar with Charleston (was where I went to college, grew up, & fell in love with a San Franciscan living in Charleston) & not Greenville at all...

Thanks.

Hilton Greenville

Sleep In

The high today is near 100 here. Heat index is well above it. The humidity is awful. The AC is what makes in tolerable though. I cant imagine living in a place where they are not common. I think I would buy one anyway :)

you wouldn't need it here since the heat doesn't last long enough. i live on dolores street, kind of below the fog...there are so many micro-climates in SF, that you never leave home w/o your jacket. it could be hot in the mission and freezing at the zoo near ocean beach...

it's a cool 59 degrees here today. but i think it's colder here in the avenues where i am at work...

Edited by Zahc

can you give me any feedback on hotels i listed below? for moment we are leaning toward the Hyatt Regency, which seems to be in the heart of downtown...if you know of any good bed & breakfast places let me know. i'll be visiting with my best friend, a painter/artist, from heidleberg, germany (a gorgeous town!) who has never been to The South...so it should be fun showing someone an entirely new culture; though, I am more familiar with Charleston (was where I went to college, grew up, & fell in love with a San Franciscan living in Charleston) & not Greenville at all...

Thanks.

Hilton Greenville

Sleep In

You should really consider the Hampton Inn & Suites at RiverPlace, too. It just opened right before the 4th of July and it is a very nice hotel right in the heart of everything downtown. :thumbsup:

You should really consider the Hampton Inn & Suites at RiverPlace, too. It just opened right before the 4th of July and it is a very nice hotel right in the heart of everything downtown. :thumbsup:

What a fantastic address: 171 Riverplace - Greenville, SC 29601. I've checked it out via the web and like it. The rates are reasonable; cheaper than the Hyatt Regency.

...may tentatively book rooms here for two weeks in April 07.

What a fantastic address: 171 Riverplace - Greenville, SC 29601. I've checked it out via the web and like it. The rates are reasonable; cheaper than the Hyatt Regency.

...may tentatively book rooms here for two weeks in April 07.

I think you should consider staying at the downtown Westin while you are here. It is a 4-star hotel that is located in a refurbished 1920's building (the old Poinsett Hotel). Although it would be expensive to stay there for the duration of your trip, you could consider staying at the Westin for a weekend or something. And it's location is great as well. It's on Main Street along Court Square, a block from the Peace Center and two blocks from Falls Park on the Reedy River.

The Hyatt and Hampton Inn are great choices as well. The Hyatt is nice, and undergoing some renovations I believe. The Hampton Inn Riverplace is supposed to be one of Hampton Inn's nicest hotels. As others have stated, its location is on the river and directly across from Falls Park. :thumbsup:

I think you should consider staying at the downtown Westin while you are here. It is a 4-star hotel that is located in a refurbished 1920's building (the old Poinsett Hotel). Although it would be expensive to stay there for the duration of your trip, you could consider staying at the Westin for a weekend or something. And it's location is great as well. It's on Main Street along Court Square, a block from the Peace Center and two blocks from Falls Park on the Reedy River.

The Hyatt and Hampton Inn are great choices as well. The Hyatt is nice, and undergoing some renovations I believe. The Hampton Inn Riverplace is supposed to be one of Hampton Inn's nicest hotels. As others have stated, its location is on the river and directly across from Falls Park. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback! All this info will be helpful when we finalize the logistics for our GREENVILLE trip in April 2007. April in Greenville sounds like a nice idea, so that's the time I will get to see this beautiful city for the first time in my life & look forward to every moment. I've noticed that Greenville is not very far from Charlotte's DOUGLAS Airport, (about 102 miles or so) which is my favorite airport in the Carolinas. Douglas (for me) is efficient, friendly, & easy to navigate...

HOTELS: The Hampton does look very nice & it's new & I believe right on the River/Falls of Greenville; I prefer the Hyatt because it's the only hotel I am familiar with (on a corporate level anyway)...If only I could charge my employer for the entire trip, I would do so w/o guilt and stay the whole time at The Poinsett Hotel, which is beautiful.

Seems Greenville is an outstanding City that stands on its own & is not a mere shadow of well-known Charleston and Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head...

Edited by Zahc

Thanks for the feedback! All this info will be helpful when we finalize the logistics for our GREENVILLE trip in April 2007. April in Greenville sounds like a nice idea, so that's the time I will get to see this beautiful city for the first time in my life & look forward to every moment. I've noticed that Greenville is not very far from Charlotte's DOUGLAS Airport, (about 102 miles or so) which is my favorite airport in the Carolinas. Douglas (for me) is efficient, friendly, & easy to navigate...

HOTELS: The Hampton does look very nice & it's new & I believe right on the River/Falls of Greenville; I prefer the Hyatt because it's the only hotel I am familiar with (on a corporate level anyway)...If only I could charge my employer for the entire trip, I would do so w/o guilt and stay the whole time at The Poinsett Hotel, which is beautiful.

Seems Greenville is an outstanding City that stands on its own & is not a mere shadow of well-known Charleston and Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head...

It should be beautiful in Greenville in April as everything will be greening up and flowers / trees will be in bloom.

The Hampton Inn RiverPlace is right downtown on the Reedy River (just north of the Falls and right next to the RiverWalk which will take you to the Falls and Falls Park. The Hyatt is on the North End of Main Street. Both Hotels are very near everything that's special about downtown, so you can't go wrong with either. The Westin Poinsett is, itself, one of those special things, but it's a bit expensive for the casual traveler.

Charlotte Douglas is a nice airport and is very efficient; however, nothing quite beats flying into Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport with respect to ease-of-use and efficiency and is usually well worth the extra cost.

Wow! I love this bridge. I am also an 'amateur painter' (since 2003) & will definitely find time to paint the pedestrian bridge crossing the Falls in Greenville...

Are people in Greenville as friendly as in Charleston?

pictured below: (medium: Acrylic)

1: Sunflowers a) painted on glass (Aug/2005); b) painted on masonite with blue background (Aug/2005)

2: Painted Collage of San Francisco tallest buildings, including TV Tower

"Sutro Tower" on top of Twin Peaks & w/Transamerica, City Hall dome, BofA Center... (Apr/05)

post-800-1154551262_thumb.jpg

post-800-1154551681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zahc

Zach, i would suggest spending a couple of nights at La Bastide, which is about 20 miles north of Greenville in the mountains...It is expensive for a couple of nights would be a real treat and the food, views and location is great.

Would also be a good place to head North for day or so and check out Ashville which is only about an hour from there and another great town with a feel all its own.

Zach, i would suggest spending a couple of nights at La Bastide, which is about 20 miles north of Greenville in the mountains...It is expensive for a couple of nights would be a real treat and the food, views and location is great.

Would also be a good place to head North for day or so and check out Ashville which is only about an hour from there and another great town with a feel all its own.

I've heard about Asheville, which is on the list, along with Raven Cliff Falls & several other water falls, including Pearson's Fall in NC and a must-see town called Abbeville, which is (from what I've read) probably the best-looking of all small-towns in South Carolina that was home of powerful states rights advocate John C. Calhoun and the BIRTHPLACE & Deathplace of the Confederacy...

And of course, I have to return to my college hometown of Charleston & see how the old guard has changed...It will probably feel strange to not see the Grace/Pearman bridges across the Cooper River & the growth of Mt. Pleasant & Daniel's Island...I've not seen or been to Charleston since May 1991. Then Cafe99 in the City Market was my favorite bar/restaurant where I met lots of new Charlestonians & had lots of fun...Cafe99 is prob. not there anymore.

Edited by Zahc

I've heard about Asheville, which is on the list, along with Raven Cliff Falls & several other water falls, including Pearson's Fall in NC and a must-see town called Abbeville, which is (from what I've read) probably the best-looking of all small-towns in South Carolina that was home of powerful states rights advocate John C. Calhoun and the BIRTHPLACE & Deathplace of the Confederacy...

Calhoun was born in present-day McCormick county (then part of the Abbeville district, but just about all of central and western SC was part of the Abbeville district at the time) and the home he had for about half of his life, Fort Hill, is now the Clemson campus, with the house in the center of campus. Calhoun, being a lawyer, and with Abbeville being the closest courthouse to his home at Fort Hill, often traveled and stayed in Abbeville while on circuit. During his early political career, until he became Vice President, he and his family mostly lived in Washington.

:thumbsup: Someone missed the sign on the trash can that said no pictures during performance.

Was there a performance going on? I didn't see it. Oops. :ph34r: This photo was taken from the top of the hill anyway, so I wasn't exactly near enough to the trash can to read it. :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, I don't quite understand their reasoning for no photographs during the show. I can certainly understand no flash photography as it can be quite distracting when you're on stage and lots of flash bulbs and autofocus strobes are going off all about. Been there, done that, so I can relate. However, to forbid any photography whatsoever makes no sense to me. Don't they want to promote themselves? What better way than to allow people to photograph their performances?

Edited by RestedTraveler