Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a funny story about that building, to give you a perspective on how far downtown Greenville has come.

My dad knows a guy who used to own that building. I believe this was back in the 1970's or something. Anyway, he literally tried to give it away for FREE just so someone else could assume payments (or perhaps just pay the property taxes on it), and he was unsuccessful! Can you believe that?

I don't know what ultimately happened to it, but it is crazy to think about a time when nobody wanted to be downtown at all.

I remember those days all too well. :cry: Greenville in the '70s and '80s was really a diamond in the rough and needed major washing to become the glistening star it is today. Many of the same buildings we love today, were literally eyesores during downtown's "dark age." It was very gloomy to drive or walk down Main Street. What a complete contrast! :w00t:

I'm sure glad to see that it has made such a turnaround. That's part of the reason I moved here. I started to come down here on business in '98. Downtown was starting to come alive, but still, it wasn't anything to write home about. Over the years, you could see the progress, and could tell it was going to be something special.

Look at it now! :thumbsup:

Great photo NYTransplant. Everyone remember to show up for the parade this evening at 6:00.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Jct,

I see by your avatar that you may be a rider. Will you be walking in the parade? I'll be representing the Upstate Triathlon Club.

I've heard rumors that a "Special Guest" may be there. :whistling:

Thanks Jct,

I see by your avatar that you may be a rider.  Will you be walking in the parade?  I'll be representing the Upstate Triathlon Club.

I've heard rumors that a "Special Guest" may be there. :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I am a rider, but I won't be walking in the parade. I will be downtown to watch with my 3 kids, so I won't have a hand free to carry a front wheel :)

I'll see if I can spot you. I guess we'll have to wait to see who the special guest is.

Yes, I am a rider, but I won't be walking in the parade. I will be downtown to watch with my 3 kids, so I won't have a hand free to carry a front wheel  :)

I'll see if I can spot you. I guess we'll have to wait to see who the special guest is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll be carrying a blue Rolf Vector Comp, and wearing a Upstate Triathlon Club t-shirt :ph34r:

We'll see if the rumors are true. I'm bringing a sharpie for autographs. I may have him (them) sign my wheel since it is from a Trek Postal bike.

VERY nice pics, NYTransplant! :thumbsup:  Great job on the panoramic one.  Thanks for the "mysterious guest" info!  I'll definitely try and make it to the parade tonight, but I'll have to be late for another appointment.  Hope it's who I think it might be...... :w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Skyliner,

If it is who we think it might be, I'll give you one guess what the Photo of the day tomorrow will be. :D

Although I would hate for anything to overshadow the reason for the celebration. -_-

Excellent photo NYT!  Were you on stage with them?  :D  What a closeup!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was right next to the press photographers. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I was also lucky enough that George's car lined up right next to our group at the beginning of the parade. B)