Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where were you? It looks like you were on top of the Poinsett Hotel. And BTW that was a pretty cool shot. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks MAJIKMAN,

I was in the Presidential Suite in the Poinsett Hotel. I went on the Court Square history tour yesterday and it was fabulous. I'll be posting some photos in the "Stepping Through History" thread.

I have a funny story about that building, to give you a perspective on how far downtown Greenville has come.

My dad knows a guy who used to own that building.  I believe this was back in the 1970's or something.  Anyway, he literally tried to give it away for FREE just so someone else could assume payments (or perhaps just pay the property taxes on it), and he was unsuccessful!  Can you believe that?

I don't know what ultimately happened to it, but it is crazy to think about a time when nobody wanted to be downtown at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found out yesterday that the reason they gave the Liberty Building away (sold it for $1), was it would have cost them $50,000 to knock it down.

That is really interesting!  I wonder what it would sell for now?

And I am very glad they didn't knock it down!  It's an awesome building!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is one of my favorites in Downtown. I also love the Stone manufacturing /American Cigar Company Building.

I think they sold the buiding for $500,000 before it was restored. It is amazing inside now, so I would think it would go for some big bucks!