Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okee Dokee... this is my first photo post. I'm posting from work :scared: so I have just few shots to choose from this morning. This is a view from back in the fall - the obligatory Bell Tower shot from Furman University. As hot as its suppose to get today, you may wish to be transported back in time to this autumn day!

Furman Bell Tower

Cricket

Edited by Cricket

R.T. I love the photos you've been posting lately, are you using a polarizer or some other filter?

Just a typical old UV filter. I've been playing around with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom a little...still learning and still lots to learn. I've got a spectacular ultra-wide-angle shot of the Bi-Lo Center for tomorrow, but I want to clean it up a bit more before I post it.

OK...since it's now tomorrow...

Wednesday, 02-MAY-2007:

476269035_b3cace0db0_b.jpg

For additional sizes and more details about this photo, CLICK HERE.

Spectacular shot, RT!!! :good: I'd love to get a night shot from this angle. I'll be there Friday night for Elton John, but I'd rather have less people in the pic! YEA!!!! Elton is Friday!!!

Cricket

Spectacular shot, RT!!! :good: I'd love to get a night shot from this angle. I'll be there Friday night for Elton John, but I'd rather have less people in the pic! YEA!!!! Elton is Friday!!!

You read my mind. :ph34r: If you see a guy atop the Church Street garage on Friday Night with a tripod and a camera (provided the man doesn't run me off :ph34r: ), I'll be attempting just such a photo. :shades:

From a couple of weeks ago... the azaleas had just fully blossomed at Rock Quarry Gardens, my favorite 'get away from work for an hour' spot!

480589161_f3250e42b8.jpg

Cricket

Shhhh...don't tell the whole world this place is there! This is a favorite of mine sometimes on a weekend when it's just me and my daughter running around. Nice shot! Very vivid!

Shhhh...don't tell the whole world this place is there! This is a favorite of mine sometimes on a weekend when it's just me and my daughter running around. Nice shot! Very vivid!

This beautiful garden cost me my Nikon D2Xs along with my 70-200 lens (a $6,000 set-up)... I fell crossing the creek above the falls and busted the camera and lens. Talk about a sick feeling... AND I hobbled for three weeks while crying over my spilt camera. All for red tulips.... I hate tulips now...

Cricket

This beautiful garden cost me my Nikon D2Xs along with my 70-200 lens (a $6,000 set-up)... I fell crossing the creek above the falls and busted the camera and lens. Talk about a sick feeling... AND I hobbled for three weeks while crying over my spilt camera. All for red tulips.... I hate tulips now...

Cricket

Yikes! I can only imagine the sick feeling that caused. I tripped over a rise in the pavement along the Reedy River Trail between Falls Park and Cleveland Park shortly after I bought my Canon 350D and I fell face-first with the camera around my neck. I caught myself before the camera hit the ground and nearly broke my right wrist in the process...all because I didn't feel like carrying the camer bag over my shoulder. I'm such a clutz, myself, that my next camera should be the Canon 1D...I hear it can darned near withstand almost anything.

Racing practice at Travelers Rest Motorsports Park. And Cricket, breaking that expensive a camera makes me cringe in the man parts :o . I'm sick just thinking about it.

I don't even have man parts and mine cringe too... (great shot of the TR practice! I've gotta get up there one evening)

Here are the $6,000 tulips:

481594493_a722f9c629.jpg

Cricket

At least the memory card escaped unscathed!

The memory card did escape unscathed, however I took the picture the next afternoon with my backup camera - a Fuji S9000. I never made it across the creek to the tulips on the day I fell. But I got really ticked and decided to go back from the opposite side of the creek. I'm stubborn that way... I won't let anything beat me. Actually, the tulips opened up a bit more and I think made a better photo because of it. Not $6,000 worth of better, but...

Cricket

Photog question for all of you... Do you ever watch for upcoming changes in weather to determine a good shooting day? I thought about going to Falls Park at sunrise tomorrow morning, but got discouraged because of rain in the forecast... Then thought, "Red sky at morning?"

Just curious what you find to be the best times for getting those best shots....

Thanks!

Brady

Photog question for all of you... Do you ever watch for upcoming changes in weather to determine a good shooting day? I thought about going to Falls Park at sunrise tomorrow morning, but got discouraged because of rain in the forecast... Then thought, "Red sky at morning?"

Just curious what you find to be the best times for getting those best shots....

Thanks!

Brady

I very rarely consider the weather other than whether it's raining or not (some things inside of digital cameras do not react well to rain). When I do consider the weather, it's usually when I plan to take long exposure shots of things (i.e. waterfalls). In daytime long-exposure settings, it's best (in my opinion) to have overcast weather so the amount of light is reduced. Also, some of my better night-time long exposure shots of the Liberty Bridge, Swamp Rabbit Bridge, Wyche Pavilion, etc. were taken on cloudy nights. When it's low-level cloud coverage, you'll find a lot of light reflecting off of the clouds downtown and it makes for a pretty cool backdrop to long-exposure shots.

Edited by RestedTraveler