Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

I very rarely consider the weather other than whether it's raining or not (some things inside of digital cameras do not react well to rain). When I do consider the weather, it's usually when I plan to take long exposure shots of things (i.e. waterfalls). In daytime long-exposure settings, it's best (in my opinion) to have overcast weather so the amount of light is reduced. Also, some of my better night-time long exposure shots of the liberty bridge, wyche pavilion, etc. were taken on cloudy nights. When it's low-level cloud coverage, you'll find a lot of light reflecting off of the clouds downtown and it makes for a pretty cool backdrop to long-exposure shots.

Totally agree. I do give consideration if I'm shooting flora as I prefer to get the most bang for my buck color wise with bright sun illuminating the petals (morning and afternoon - never when the sun is high in the sky). Moving water, as RT has stated, works best under lower light. And since I live at Hartwell Lake, if I know a storm is coming in the next day, the broken clouds along the horizon help make for a great sunset view from the top of the dam.

Cricket

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In keeping with the "one in the morning, one in the afternoon" rule, 03-MAY-2007, Morning Edition:

476269037_b6a8b21ab6_b.jpg

For additional sizes and more details about this photo, CLICK HERE.

I'm not very familiar yet with the roads directly around Main... what road is this? I do spy a Steak House sign... may have to check it out!

Cricket

Photog question for all of you... Do you ever watch for upcoming changes in weather to determine a good shooting day? I thought about going to Falls Park at sunrise tomorrow morning, but got discouraged because of rain in the forecast... Then thought, "Red sky at morning?"

Just curious what you find to be the best times for getting those best shots....

Thanks!

Brady

I do. I love the post rain days where the air is clear and some dramatic clouds are out. Also, I pay attention to full moons to do night shots.

I'm not very familiar yet with the roads directly around Main... what road is this? I do spy a Steak House sign... may have to check it out!

It's Coffee Street...you're standing on the corner of Coffee and Brown and looking straight ahead at Piazza Bergamo and the Bank of America Tower. That used to be Ear Shot on the left, just before you get to Charlie's Steakhouse on the left...on up on the corner is Treo Brick Oven Cafe. On the right is Addy's and then where the Map Shop used to be and then Coffee Underground and Bergamo's as you get to the corner of Coffee and North Main.

The original plans for Piazza Bergamo (and hopefully the new plans, too) called for Piazza Bergamo to extend all the way to this point.

Cricket

Spy a "steak house" sign? Charlie's Steak House has been in downtown Greenville forever and has survived more changes downtown than any other business. I mentioned this business a while back when discussing the closing of other businesses like the Map Shop and Ear Shot which were neighbors to this resteraunt that keeps on going. It's not a very fancy place, very basic, one of the earliest greek own resteraunts in the city that has a loyal following, especially with the old timers.

It's Coffee Street...you're standing on the corner of Coffee and Brown and looking straight ahead at Piazza Bergamo and the Bank of America Tower. That used to be Ear Shot on the left, just before you get to Charlie's Steakhouse on the left...on up on the corner is Treo Brick Oven Cafe. On the right is Addy's and then where the Map Shop used to be and then Coffee Underground and Bergamo's as you get to the corner of Coffee and North Main.

The original plans for Piazza Bergamo (and hopefully the new plans, too) called for Piazza Bergamo to extend all the way to this point.

Very cool! That's exactly where I will be in about an hour - at Piazza Bergamo. That would be really nice if they would extend Bergamo.

Cricket

Good Morning! TGIF!! :yahoo:

For my morning shot, I thought this would be appropriate:

483394281_ffe95fb68c.jpg

This was one of those surprise scenes that you just run across. I was driving down the road (off Hwy 11 in Greenville County) early one morning and I saw the sunrays as I rounded a curve. I continued up around the curve you see in the pic and turned around. Luckily I caught the shot before the rays disappeared.

Cricket

Good Morning! TGIF!! :yahoo:

For my morning shot, I thought this would be appropriate:

483394281_ffe95fb68c.jpg

This was one of those surprise scenes that you just run across. I was driving down the road (off Hwy 11 in Greenville County) early one morning and I saw the sunrays as I rounded a curve. I continued up around the curve you see in the pic and turned around. Luckily I caught the shot before the rays disappeared.

Cricket

I used to work near that spot. I know it well.

I rather prefer it being on Court Street, myself; however, I'm willing to give South Main a try and I'll reserve judgement until tomorrow morning.

It will be shadier, and the stalls won't be on an incline, like they were on Court Street, and I expect condo construction probably made this move happen too.

Edited by whitehourseview