Southwest Missouri and the Ozarks

Is there anyone here from southwest Missouri or even just the Ozarks? Or does anyone have any comments about those areas? I know quite a bit about the Ozarks from the Arkansas side but would like to see some perspectives from the Missouri side.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not from the ozarks, but I have been to Branson a few times. Im sure you have, but im not sure. The area around Branson is very beautiful will mini mountains and changing elevations. The city itself is ofcourse a huge tourist trap with the most live shows in the United States, including Vegas. The Lake of the Ozarks is also very beautiful.

I've been to Branson once. I guess that brings me to why I brought the subject up. I am very familiar with the Ozarks here in Arkansas but just never seemed to get around to going north across the border very much. Overall I think I would prefer the scenic beauty of the Boston Mtns over what there is in Missouri but I'm sure there are nice areas up there too. That and I'm probably biased because I'm more familiar with the area down here.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for those of you all up there...

TheSpringfield News-leader had an article with an individual making a bold prediction that the SPFLD metro area would someday be between the size of what Tulsa and Cincinnati now is.

Anyone heard any growth figures for the region? Seems like (just like in northwest Arkansas) every time I visit Springfield there's something new being built...

• 2 weeks later...

Question for those of you all up there...

TheSpringfield News-leader had an article with an individual making a bold prediction that the SPFLD metro area would someday be between the size of what Tulsa and Cincinnati now is.

Anyone heard any growth figures for the region?  Seems like (just like in northwest Arkansas) every time I visit Springfield there's something new being built...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is quite a bit of development in the Springfield area, as a matter a fact 2 of the fastest growing towns in Missouri are suburbs of Springfield, wow, and I remember back in 1990 when Springfield didn't even have suburbs. Nixa, Ozark (both in Christian County which has almost doubled its population since 1990) and Republic are all very fast growing communities. The city of Springfield itself is not growing too fast in population but that is mainly due to the fact that they are not huge annexation hogs and so far this year there has been about 600 homes built on Greene County land just outside of the city limits, if Springfield annexed all of this land where most of the residential construction is going on they could easily have been up to 160,000 people by now, but they have been hanging around 150,000 for a while I believe. I believe populations for all of the 3 suburbs listed above are expected to make close to 20,000 each by 2010. Yes, Springfield is definetly a fast growing city and it is really spreading like wildfire all through southern Missouri - many other small towns (Aurora, Monett, Bolivar, Marshfield, Willard, Rogersville) are all growing quickly too and some of those are a good 20-30 miles + to Springfield.

• 1 month later...

Of course there's a lot of developments going on around Branson. Looks like things are picking up around Joplin and southwest Missouri also. You almost wonder what the area from Springfield southwest over towards southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas will look like 25 and even 50 years from now. People might think differently about what the term Ozarks means to them than what it does now.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to school here in Springfield at Missouri State University. As I get to know the city it becomes more and more interesting. When people think "Ozarks" they usually think of shattytowns with everybody driving 1988 Ford Tempos. That is not the case at all. There are a lot of people in this community with lots of $$$$, besides John Hammons who has his name on almost every building in town. For god sake i live in Hammons house which is at the corner of Harrison and John Q hammons Parkway, which is caddy corner to the Hammons Student Center and infront of the Juanita K. Hammons performing arts building~ which is quite beautiful. The community leaders are quite active with their community in the hopes of making it better. Once the Jordan Valley Park project is complete, this will be one of the most beautiful communities in the Midwest. If you have not been to springfield or if you have and just stopped at Bass Pro, stop by for a weekend and visit downtown and the city. Catch a ballgame at Hammons Field and walk around.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im from Springfield, MO and theres always something going up in this metropolis. Espeacially in Downtown, I can't believe all the cool shops and restaurants going in down here it's awesome. There are many planned developments for downtown including College Station, a 14 screen stadium seating state of the art movie complex which will house restaurants and shops with a large parking deck across the street. Heer's tower is also getting a face lift. There will be luxury condominiums, restaurants as well as retail space. Branson is getting a 400 million dollar retail, entertainment and shopping district called Branson Landing (bransonlanding.com check out this website). Critics are saying this will be the Beverly Hills of the Midwest.

I don't have time to name all the awsome projects going on in our community, but as you can see its never ending.

For Springfield got to:

www.itsalldowntown.com

• 2 weeks later...

I am a city planner living in Springfield. If you want a good picture of the growth in SW MO check out the special section in today's Springfield News-Leader. They have it available online just click on the special reports tab. There is also an article about the Branson Landing project in Branson. The project is opening this May with about 60-70% occupancy. This is an amazing project considering spread out nature of the rest of the Branson area this is very compact and is a apart of their traditional downtown that most people never even knew Branson had.

I have been saying for years this area is going to massive growth. None of the planners in this area have their growth projects even near where this article has them. Population growth in the country is rising and still moving westward. Look at the census bureau's center of population charts. We are in the path of this storm. Major metro regions are full of hatred and arguing. New metro areas such as Springfield offer a metro atmosphere without all the decades old arguments.

But despite this growth if you are a planner don't come here there are no jobs in planning.

Ragee, do you know much about architecture schools? I'm thinking about attending Drury University. Anything you might suggest? Like what firms could I get hooked up with in Springfield or anything like that?

Drury is the only architecture school in Springfield. I spoke to the class there a couple of years past. I was very impressed with the faculty and their studio is top notch. I'm not real familiar with the all the firms here. There is a new one that is doing some cutting edge work though, it is H-nu Hagerman New Urbanism. They are at h-nu.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a city planner living in Springfield. If you want a good picture of the growth in SW MO check out the special section in today's Springfield News-Leader. They have it available online just click on the special reports tab. There is also an article about the Branson Landing project in Branson. The project is opening this May with about 60-70% occupancy. This is an amazing project considering spread out nature of the rest of the Branson area this is very compact and is a apart of their traditional downtown that most people never even knew Branson had.

I have been saying for years this area is going to massive growth. None of the planners in this area have their growth projects even near where this article has them. Population growth in the country is rising and still moving westward. Look at the census bureau's center of population charts. We are in the path of this storm. Major metro regions are full of hatred and arguing. New metro areas such as Springfield offer a metro atmosphere without all the decades old arguments.

But despite this growth if you are a planner don't come here there are no jobs in planning.

Welcome to the Forum Ragee! :D I'm from Springfield as well and am very glad we now have 2 (wow) people from Springfield on here. I noticed that artilcle in the Sunday paper as well and it is pretty obvious that our city is growing and getting ready for a large boom. With the suburbs Nixa and Ozark booming as it is the city planners for Ozark are expecting 40,000 residents by 2020, thats more than double their pop right now. Nixa's current pop. is said to be at 16,685 now (thats 2,000 people in 1.5 years) they believe the city will be at 30,300 by 2020. Not to mention all the other fast growing cities and towns outside of Springfield. I wanted to know if you have been downtown at all lately...... It is amazing how much has happend down there in only five years. From the Ice Rinks to Hammons Field to all the redevelopment and restoration of old buildings..... I wonder what Downtown will look like in 10 more years!

subheader3.jpg

• 1 month later...

They should be a thread for the Lake of the Ozarks! I will tell you some developments happening here in Prewitt Point http://www.lakebusjournal.com/images/dynam...50106_BNJ_H.jpg coming soon Petco,Steak N Shake,maybe MCSPORTS and the Small Office Supply store coming to Osage Beach! The Smll Shops are so far Maruices,Quik Drop we sell your Ebay,Famous Footwear,Aris Pizza and Quzino's Subs! For Osage Shadow http://images.agentcenter.com/client/1/7/8...59/New_Plat.pdf Arby's is coming here! Palisades Commons no link but Ashey Furniture/Showroom,Premier Bank,Sonic,Paul's Supermarket probley moving their in the future and others has been annouced to be the Strip Center is coming! Purcell Tire and Service Center has opened their! Taco Bell 2007 in Osage Beach! Olive Garden within 2 years! Goldn Corral is looking for 2 acres in Osage Beach!Outlet and Stonecrest Mall keeps opening new or relocating stores! Arby's is coming to Camdenton! To many rumors to talk about that's coming to the Lake and that have opened here! Shoppes of Horeshoebend opening by HH and the C.Bridge! IHOP to either Linn Creek with big Hotel and other Retail or to Sunrise Beach with Comfort Inn! Meads Flats might be getting a Sam's Club or a Cabla's that alos could be going in Lake Ozark where the Rock Quarry is right know that's been redeveloped for a shopping that could also include Best By and a Movie Theater! Bass Pro is alos rumored for the same place! I could tell you all the rumors like Kohl's Payless Shoes,Red Lobster and so on! Their also other Commercial developments happening in Camdenton and also Osage Beach!

They should also be one for Jefferson City and Columbia!

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd quickly jump in here and say that my family and I just got back from a week in Branson. And we liked it so much we purchased a timeshare there !

Also, I've never seen the likes of the employment crisis Branson has. It's so hard-up for workers that the legal age for employment has been lowered to 12 and kids are getting twice the minimum wage for working at MacDonalds and Wendys. In fact, I met a sixteen-year old kid who's managing a Wendy's and is making $18.50 an hour !

Thought I'd quickly jump in here and say that my family and I just got back from a week in Branson. And we liked it so much we purchased a timeshare there !

Also, I've never seen the likes of the employment crisis Branson has. It's so hard-up for workers that the legal age for employment has been lowered to 12 and kids are getting twice the minimum wage for working at MacDonalds and Wendys. In fact, I met a sixteen-year old kid who's managing a Wendy's and is making $18.50 an hour !

I'm glad you like the area. That's crazy that you saw a 16 yr. old getting $18 an hour working at Wendy's. I know Branson has a big shortage of employment but sometimes it sways the other way.

Surely not? Is it legal for a state, or municipality, to lower the legal working age to 12? I just can't see that being legal.

And in New Orleans, with companies as desperate as they are fopr employees, they aren't even paying quite $18.50/hr at Wendy's although they are paying at least twice, maybe even three times the normal minimum wage.

Surely not? Is it legal for a state, or municipality, to lower the legal working age to 12? I just can't see that being legal.

And in New Orleans, with companies as desperate as they are fopr employees, they aren't even paying quite $18.50/hr at Wendy's although they are paying at least twice, maybe even three times the normal minimum wage.

When you can't find help you have to take drastic measures. Now I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there were significant restrictions as to what 12- year olds can do.

When you can't find help you have to take drastic measures. Now I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there were significant restrictions as to what 12- year olds can do.

I could only imagine how hiring a 12 yr old would feel let alone the insurence and liability. But when your that desperate you have to take drastic measures.

Archived