SW corner of Fulton & Carlton

zenstyle

Does anyone know? It's been buldozed over two years ago, but there's no sign of life there. It's like a scene out of the abandoned Old West...all that's missing is the tumbleweed.

The soil erosion is especially troubling. I hope nieghboring businesses are putting pressure on the powers that be to get something there, so the whole lot doesn't erode away.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know? It's been buldozed over two years ago, but there's no sign of life there. It's like a scene out of the abandoned Old West...all that's missing is the tumbleweed.

The soil erosion is especially troubling. I hope nieghboring businesses are  putting pressure on the powers that be to get something there, so the whole lot doesn't erode away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't that part of someone's "collection?" Maybe they're saving up for some livestock or something.

Isn't that part of someone's "collection?" Maybe they're saving up for some livestock or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct on the "collection". That is where Greg Gilmore was going to put a restaurant and entertainment complex. The place ended up burning down before he could start the rehab.

Gilmore! MUST he own everything? I understand he bought Gibson's, also. How many years will that lie empy, I wonder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understand, he (Gilmore) bought the house in which Gibsons in located, and raised the rent to some ridiculous level and basically forced the Gibson's restaurant to close.

Actually, to qualify that, they were actually starting renovation and had to cut out the old printing presses with a blow torch. sparks ignited some fluid and it was a total loss. :( It's a shame, that was a cool building.

I heard that this site is now in limbo and the Gilmore Collection will take most of the concepts that they were going to use in this building and use them in the Gibson's building.

Joe

You are correct on the "collection".  That is where Greg Gilmore was going to put a restaurant and entertainment complex.  The place ended up burning down before he could start the rehab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, to qualify that, they were actually starting renovation and had to cut out the old printing presses with a blow torch. sparks ignited some fluid and it was a total loss. :( It's a shame, that was a cool building.

I heard that this site is now in limbo and the Gilmore Collection will take most of the concepts that they were going to use in this building and use them in the Gibson's building.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thoguht they were going to close it for a short time to make nessessary rennovations (they're painting the outside as we speak, and might I say, it looks great) and it will re-open with a more 'family friendly atmosphere'. Didn't someone post that at one time? I wouldn't worry about it sitting empty at least...

I thoguht they were going to close it for a short time to make nessessary rennovations (they're painting the outside as we speak, and might I say, it looks great) and it will re-open with a more 'family friendly atmosphere'.  Didn't someone post that at one time?  I wouldn't worry about it sitting empty at least...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole building is undergoing renovation right now. I would say to chastise the Gilmores is unfair. They have been pretty good stewards of their properties as far as I know. And they have renovated quite a few old buildings, like the BOB and The Kirby Grill in Grand Haven, and a couple of turn of the century buildings up north.

With regards to this corner, I would really like to see something similar to Uptown Village, the proposed development at Wealthy and Diamond. Perfect spot for ground floor retail and residential above.

All and all I think Gilmore has done a good job of bringing some interesting concepts to town. What ever happend to his Creston Coffee Shop plan?

The whole building is undergoing renovation right now.  I would say to chastise the Gilmores is unfair.  They have been pretty good stewards of their properties as far as I know.  And they have renovated quite a few old buildings, like the BOB and The Kirby Grill in Grand Haven, and a couple of turn of the century buildings up north.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I just don't like the underhanded way in which they forced out a successful and well-known establishment.

With regards to this corner, I would really like to see something similar to Uptown Village, the proposed development at Wealthy and Diamond.  Perfect spot for ground floor retail and residential above.

All and all I think Gilmore has done a good job of bringing some interesting concepts to town.  What ever happend to his Creston Coffee Shop plan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually we called the Gilmores to try to purchase this corner for just such a development. They blew us off like we were used car salesman. The think that hacked us off abou tit is that they do not seem to currently have any plans for the land. Oh well, he who holds the cards calls the game.

Actually we called the Gilmores to try to purchase this corner for just such a development.  They blew us off like we were used car salesman.  The think that hacked us off abou tit is that they do not seem to currently have any plans for the land.  Oh well, he who holds the cards calls the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, but do they know when to fold and not to hold?

Archived