Bad news for the Plaza Tower project

TSmith

Well, in addition to being sued by his former employer, the developer of the Plaza Tower is seeking taxpayer help to fund the project... a controversial TIF. Also, a study commisioned by developers of the Plaza Tower project reccomended a drastic re-design of the project, including more 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units, and a reduction in the number of overall units. This is interesting news for the Plaza Tower project, and it may answer our questions about the delay with the Poydras condo, our new tallest proposal. Apparently, the new tallest proposal is indeed involved in similar design changes in response to similar studies. The article is linked below...

LINK

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in addition to being sued by his former employer, the developer of the Plaza Tower is seeking taxpayer help to fund the project... a controversial TIF. Also, a study commisioned by developers of the Plaza Tower project reccomended a drastic re-design of the project, including more 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units, and a reduction in the number of overall units. This is interesting news for the Plaza Tower project, and it may answer our questions about the delay with the Poydras condo, our new tallest proposal. Apparently, the new tallest proposal is indeed involved in similar design changes in response to similar studies. The article is linked below...

LINK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well....I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I think this project will be completed, as well as the poydras condo tower project.

But they may not be as tall, or have the same design features as originally proposed.

I'm personally not expecting a decrease in height of the Poydras condo. I'd guess that there will be more units with multiple bedrooms, increasing the average size of the units. While there may be a decrease in the actual number of units, this should be compensated by the fact that there will be more large units.

I'm personally not expecting a decrease in height of the Poydras condo. I'd guess that there will be more units with multiple bedrooms, increasing the average size of the units. While there may be a decrease in the actual number of units, this should be compensated by the fact that there will be more large units.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats true, but right know no one in the public knows how tall this building will be proposed to be. First it was 700 feet, then 750 feet, and now we have heard 800-850 feet.

I know it will be at least 700 feet, the developers really have their heart set on building the "tallest building in New Orleans." We can see that by this height war going on with the other developer proposing a building to be the tallest in N.O.

That is a great marketing stratagy for selling condos as well, who wants to say "come live in New Orleans' second tallest building!" No one wants that as their marketing slogan.

Though it probably needs to be at least 725 feet tall, if the tower was 700 feet tall im not sure the people on the upper floors would be to happy to look out their windows and only see the roof of One Shell Square :P

I've lived here long enough to say, "just let the dust settle."  Things are just delayed, but, where there is money to be made, somebody is going to step in and make that money...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great point. Someway, somehow, it'll get done.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on the Plaza Tower redevelopment... I was downtown today, and I took a walk over to the Plaza Tower to see what's going on over there. Finally, signs of life! Lots of workers mulling around, looking at papers, etc...looked more like project manager types. Aggreko setting up huge generators.(I'm guessing that's what they were) A few Entergy trucks on site as well. Looks like a lot of site prep going on. So, if I had to guess, I'd say the project is still on.

Feel free to let me have it but given the effect a moderate to strong hurricane can have on New Orleans, why again are there plans for more high-rises downtown? If a city is below sea level I just don't understand the logic of increasing the infastructure in that part of the city. Just more stuff to damage.

Isn't there some areas of the city that are above sea level and maybe a new downtown could begin there? Atlanta has several skylines so certainly a great city like New Orleans could add a second skyline instead of continuing to build on a poor foundation. :rolleyes:

Feel free to let me have it but given the effect a moderate to strong hurricane can have on New Orleans, why again are there plans for more high-rises downtown?  If a city is below sea level I just don't understand the logic of increasing the infastructure in that part of the city.  Just more stuff to damage. 

Isn't there some areas of the city that are above sea level and maybe a new downtown could begin there?  Atlanta has several skylines so certainly a great city like New Orleans could add a second skyline instead of continuing to build on a poor foundation.    :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, not gonna let you have it. You have a good point. However, the downtown area, while not as high as the FQ and a couple other areas, is actually one of the highest spots. I actually am a little worried about this project, and the Trump project. Who knows? They might not happen now. We'll see.

Nah, not gonna let you have it. You have a good point. However, the downtown area, while not as high as the FQ and a couple other areas, is actually one of the highest spots. I actually am a little worried about this project, and the Trump project. Who knows? They might not happen now. We'll see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, maybe it'll just get moved or some better flood control put in. New Orleans and the Bayou as a whole is an area I really, really want to see one day.

I really pray the damage is minimal to your city and the projects move forward with even better designs.

Because of Katrina and being in Georgia, though, the town next door to us is under a tornado "warning" right now. I really oughtta get off here. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ordinarily, I might regard this as unduly pessimistic. But of course Trump wussed out on building the WTB, in Chicago, because of 9/11.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was transferred from one LLC to another. Purchase price was listed as 20,000,000.

I hadn't seen or heard about this. I was out of town that weekend, and I just told my neighbor, who doesn't subscribe to the T-P to keep the paper.

Do you have any more info on the transfer?

Archived