The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

Somewhere along the line I had come across a website that was just pictures of industrial buildings in pvd. It gave like build dates, size, and last known use. I think it may have been a goverment or historical society type thing and was broken down by neighborhood. Anyone have any idea what the hell I am talking about?

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the Art In Ruins site, I'm guessing. The owner of the site is a member here at UP and posts with some frequency.

- Garris

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the Art In Ruins site, I'm guessing.  The owner of the site is a member here at UP and posts with some frequency.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not artinruins. This generally had a single b&w pic of each building with the general specs on it. Nothing as detailed as what artinruis has, but a lot more buildings listed.... hrmm...

Liam

Yep, here's the link:

http://local.provplan.org/pps/

It's an inventory of buildings included in the Industrial and Commercial Buildings District (I wrote some of the entries.)

The Lawton Bldg, which was originally a church, is here:

http://local.provplan.org/pps/detail.asp?UID=SBDG

No, not artinruins. This generally had a single b&w pic of each building with the general specs on it. Nothing as detailed as what artinruis has, but a lot more buildings listed.... hrmm...

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, here's the link:

http://local.provplan.org/pps/

It's an inventory of buildings included in the Industrial and Commercial Buildings District (I wrote some of the entries.)

The Lawton Bldg, which was originally a church, is here:

http://local.provplan.org/pps/detail.asp?UID=SBDG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome! Thats the one - Thanks

Does anyone have any update on whats going on with the old Funeral Home on Westminster ST that has the Diner Car up on blocks in the parking lot? A few weeks back someone appeared to have crashed their car into the fence, taking most of it down. The paint on the building is starting to peel and the plants out front are all overgrown and lousy looking. For the first year or two after this building was sold it seemed to be being kept up reasonably well, but now it seems like they are just letting it sit. It's too bad because its an amazing house. Someone here had mentioned that the owners just hadn't gotten around to it yet, but it seems like an awful lot of time has passed...

Also - The beauty shop in front moved out this weekend. Im not 100% sure if the beauty shop building is actually the same piece of property or if the funeral home parking lot just wraps around it. Im excited about the possibility of some new retail moving in, but i'm afraid it will just end up sitting and wasting away like the funeral home and diner.

Liam

Jon Osbek owns the funeral home, the diner and the commercial building. (Norma's Hair Salon moved out last weekend. The torn-down fence was the result of a bad traffic accident about 3 Sundays ago.) He also owns the building where the Decatur is a tenant and he has renovated several of the houses in Luongo Square. I've heard that the funeral home will be converted to condos. He has an exciting prospective tenant for the commercial building. If it happens, it will be great for the neighborhood. The diner will be relocated, but food/drinks may yet be served...

One of his Luongo Sq. buildings has several condos for sale now. Perhaps these need to close before the funeral home project starts?

The huge Victorian apt building at the corner of Westminster and Messer is being painted and spruced up now too.

I'm hopeful that the commercial building projects (Norma's and the former laundromat to vet), the two condo conversions in the funeral homes and the WBNA garage teardown/ mixed-use infill project will dramatically transform these two blocks of Westminster.

He has an exciting prospective tenant for the commercial building.  If it happens, it will be great for the neighborhood.  The diner will be relocated, but food/drinks may yet be served...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any hints on what the possible tenant is for Norma's? Any idea if the Diner will stay in the neighborhood when/if it is eventually re-opened?

Liam

The possible tenant for Norma's involves food and drink. That's all I can say for now. I don't know where the diner will be moved.

Liam, I just checked out your web page - nice job with your restoration! Your street is on my running route. I think I saw you getting out of your car when I was out running last week.

oak

The possible tenant for Norma's involves food and drink.  That's all I can say for now.  I don't know where the diner will be moved. 

Liam, I just checked out your web page - nice job with your restoration!  Your street is on my running route.  I think I saw you getting out of your car when I was out running last week. 

oak

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that was prolly me. I would have either been driving an Orange Mazda3 hatchback or a dark green Scion box. Thanks for the compliment on the house - it is a never ending process. I just want to finish the kitchen before it kills me.

Please let us know whats up with the beauty shop whenever you are at liberty! I'm hoping its a bakery cafe kind of place. This neighborhood needs a 7stars of its own with customers I can relate to.

Liam

Hello, fist time poster here! My wife and I are moving from Phoenix in the next month or so and we are going to make an offer on one of the condo's at 1200 Westminster (thus my name). We were just out there last weekend and saw the place - it has been very well done and is just the right size for us. That particular corner doesn't seem to be super nice just yet, but I think we both feel comfortable enough with it to live there.

Anyways I'm really looking forward to it, and I hope we get the place.

Hello, fist time poster here!  My wife and I are moving from Phoenix in the next month or so and we are going to make an offer on one of the condo's at 1200 Westminster (thus my name).  We were just out there last weekend and saw the place - it has been very well done and is just the right size for us.  That particular corner doesn't seem to be super nice just yet, but I think we both feel comfortable enough with it to live there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome!! Congratulations on your purchase! Where in Phoenix are you? What's bringing you here to Providence?

- Garris

Hello, fist time poster here!  My wife and I are moving from Phoenix in the next month or so and we are going to make an offer on one of the condo's at 1200 Westminster (thus my name).  We were just out there last weekend and saw the place - it has been very well done and is just the right size for us.  That particular corner doesn't seem to be super nice just yet, but I think we both feel comfortable enough with it to live there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a real pretty house. Things seem to finally be gaining momentum on westminster st, which is really great. welcome to the neighborhood :-)

Liam

Thanks guys. Right now we are pretty close to central Phoenix, just east a little bit.

We're moving because I found a great company in Pawtucket to work for, and also because we just think it would be exciting to live somewhere else and experience a new environment for a change. Phoenix is beautiful in the winter but in the summertime I would rather be anywhere else!

Thanks guys.  Right now we are pretty close to central Phoenix, just east a little bit.

Phoenix is beautiful in the winter but in the summertime I would rather be anywhere else!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that it gets real hot out there in the summer months but that it was low humidity. And I'm not to sure you'll love the winters here :D

• 2 weeks later...

When did Daily Bread on Broadway go under? I noticed big "For Lease" signs in the windows last night. Is there other store still open? They certainly have had their share of ups and downs over the years...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had coffee with a former staff member last week. He said Daily Bread hasn't gone under, but the taxes on the building had become so high it was no longer feasible to use the Broadway location as the production kitchen. (There is a HUGE brick oven production kitchen behind the storefront.) Daily Bread is now subleasing production space from a commercial bakery in Warwick. The storefront in Wayland Square will remain open. The building owner is now looking to lease the building to another commercial baker.

There is a small wood-fire pizza franchise in Portland, ME and Burlington, VT that could make great use of the wood-fired brick oven. I wish a location would come to this space. But, if a restaurant were to come into this space rather than a bakery with a small counter, the building would have to be reconfigured significantly to make the huge existing kitchen space dining space.

Archived