The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

Wondering if the front part of that funeral home will be a restuarant? It would be cool to incorporate the funeral home/death theme a bit in a untacky way.

Would it be cool :blink: ? I'd have to think twice about a restaurant with a death theme!!

- Garris

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be cool. It cant be tacky as I said, but some nod to the fact that they are in a funeral home could be really cool if done right. Maybe not a restaurant as so much as a tavern. In any event, I am not even sure a restaurant is planned for that site, could all be condos. However, multiple places to eat and drink are sorely needed in the area.

Maybe I just have a dark sense of humor.

I think it would be cool. It cant be tacky as I said, but some nod to the fact that they are in a funeral home could be really cool if done right. Maybe not a restaurant as so much as a tavern. In any event, I am not even sure a restaurant is planned for that site, could all be condos. However, multiple places to eat and drink are sorely needed in the area.

Maybe I just have a dark sense of humor.

I think a Macabre restaurant in a funeral home could be a great idea - Just as long as it doesnt get too hammy

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know if there is something going into the vacant storefront about a half block down from Julian's? They are starting to either clean out what was there, or renovate.

Also, whats happening with Nick's expanded space? Seems like nothing for a long time.

In general there are a lot of empty storefronts on Broadway and Westminster.

Anybody know if there is something going into the vacant storefront about a half block down from Julian's? They are starting to either clean out what was there, or renovate.

Also, whats happening with Nick's expanded space? Seems like nothing for a long time.

Get used to it! :( This area got too "hot" before it was even warm. The businesses that do come better have a REAL good business plan or some $$ to back them up.

Get used to it! :( This area got too "hot" before it was even warm. The businesses that do come better have a REAL good business plan or some $$ to back them up.

Okay that was really helpful and answered my question directly. Appreciate it.

It may be stating the obvious, particularly in the case of Westminster Street, but I think a major part of the problem is the height of the buildings. A lot of the parcels along Westminster are underutilized, with single-story structures, which may make those buildings difficult to operate at a break even, let alone profitable, margin. If some of these single-story buildings could be built up (and the ones not worth saving, torn down and re-built), so that the burden of supporting an entire parcel did not fall on a small restaurant, for instance, I think we would see more success along the street.

It may be stating the obvious, particularly in the case of Westminster Street, but I think a major part of the problem is the height of the buildings. A lot of the parcels along Westminster are underutilized, with single-story structures, which may make those buildings difficult to operate at a break even, let alone profitable, margin. If some of these single-story buildings could be built up (and the ones not worth saving, torn down and re-built), so that the burden of supporting an entire parcel did not fall on a small restaurant, for instance, I think we would see more success along the street.

Very interesting idea... Is there a height restriction for retail or commercial buildings in the area?

- Garris

Very good project.. I think Onleyville has a chance to be a really great neighborhood.. I envision OV Center to evolve into a Porter/Davis Square in Boston.. With the river, and parks, and viable, walkable commercial core, I think it has the most promise out of all of the West/South sides.. The change in the housing has been remarkable over the past three years.. Valley Street by Rising Sun is totally transforming.. Eagle Square and OV Center provide good shopping centers.. The housing stock has potential.. Atwells ave has some store fronts, and would benefit from a few more.. Bus service later at night would be good too.. The black eye to me is Manton Ave.. Its not very inviting.. Two store fronts is not enough.. That whole street needs a face lift.. There isn't a lot of highway noise from RT 6 and Rt 95 like other places.. Overall, it has all the trademarks of a hood on its way towards gentrification.. I'd like to see a little bit better traffic flow between Manton & Atwells... It would open that part up to more people..

The neighborhood is crying for some retail. They definitely need a pharmacy and at least a place to eat or 2 besides the Royal Lunch! I know everyone is so anti-chain here, but I think the area needs a CVS, a Subway, a shopping plaza etc. I think the Jackson Hewitt building, the row of auto body/gas stations from behind Citizens all the way to Bridgham, the former Baker's Furniture block abutting Dexter( now an African church), and the row of gas stations on the same side of Westminster abutting Dexter need to be ALL razed and brought back to life. Easy convenient shopping plazas that cater to residents will draw more residents to the area. This will not detriment the area's wonderful array of homes and architecture but rather complement them. These spots have been home to auto/industrial for years. The success of these businesses has nothing to do with height at all. The area can't support mom-and-pop places, boutiques, and specialty stores like Federal Hill or Wayland sq. It's not a destination! Federal Hill is a destination. Westminster SHOULD be the destination for the neighborhood as a shopping district much like Hope Street is for people that live over there.

I know I've been quite critical of the WBNA on some of these posts and some without reason. I know that they are an integral part of the area, but I think that they have put the focus too much on creating this "hip" area with no business savvy to back it up. The Louttit laundry building should have been torn down years ago and West Fountain should be razed as well. OK, save the 1 building, but everything else has to go!!! :ph34r:

Easy convenient shopping plazas that cater to residents will draw more residents to the area. This will not detriment the area's wonderful array of homes and architecture but rather complement them.

If they're gonna put in shopping plazas, I'd hope they'd make them as pedestrian friendly as possible, possibly with limited parking (and in the rear), or else it won't really complement the area's architecture at all. I wouldn't want to see this become like North Main.

If they're gonna put in shopping plazas, I'd hope they'd make them as pedestrian friendly as possible, possibly with limited parking (and in the rear), or else it won't really complement the area's architecture at all. I wouldn't want to see this become like North Main.

Yeah we sure as hell dont need any shopping plazas with parking out front. Im all for a CVS and other neighborhood ammenities, but it has to blend. The building on the end of harrison is a perfect example of modern architecture that cpmpliments the neightborhood well. As I have said a hundred times before, I would be VERY supportive of razing the store front chuch and garage between harrison and dexter. Its a perfect good sized lot for some larget retail.

Liam

Yeah we sure as hell dont need any shopping plazas with parking out front. Im all for a CVS and other neighborhood ammenities, but it has to blend. The building on the end of harrison is a perfect example of modern architecture that cpmpliments the neightborhood well. As I have said a hundred times before, I would be VERY supportive of razing the store front chuch and garage between harrison and dexter. Its a perfect good sized lot for some larget retail.

Liam

Perhaps we can grab some sledgehammers and go on a night outing. Wonder how many years you burn in hell for destroying a church?

Speaking of the new condo/retail building, I noticed that they have a for lease sign for one of them. Thought both of them had tenants?

• 2 weeks later...

Update on a couple things:

1) Bldg on corner of Harrison appears to be getting closer to occupancy. Power is on and someone has been working late into the evening in the left hand retail unit. Vertical blinds <shudder> in the front window make it look like perhaps it will be a professional office of some sort rather than the yoga studio mentioned earlier. I looked in the windows of the other retail unit and it looks good. Very high ceilings and exposed pipes and ducts. I noticed the the residential units also have exposed ducts for more of a loft feel.

2) No sign of life at the Hair Salon/Funeral Home/Diner complex since the digging a few weeks back.

3) The other Funeral home across the street appears to be humming right along. A large "Funded by Bank RI" sign has gone up.

4) Mi Conuco has re-opened as Mi Ranchito and looks pretty much the same.

5) The parking lot at the WBNA project (across from Hdqrtrs) has been torn up, so maybe financing has been secured.

Liam

(Despite glaring at it repeatedly, the store front church is still standing)

2) No sign of life at the Hair Salon/Funeral Home/Diner complex since the digging a few weeks back.

The awnings have been ripped down as well as the Norma's sign. And work is being donw at night there too. lights are on and I can see people moving around.

It will be a bar/bistro opening in the spring apparently. I cant remember the name, but it is owned by someone who also owns another bar in Federal Hill. I'll have to ask my source what the name of it was again.

Also the vet place had some sort of party inside over the weekend. I see paint going up recently too.

They have been working like gangbusters on the condo conversion on the park side.

One place that has seen no movement whatsoever is the expanded Nick's location. Anyone know what is up with that? That fresh plywood is fast becoming gray!

1) Bldg on corner of Harrison appears to be getting closer to occupancy. Power is on and someone has been working late into the evening in the left hand retail unit. Vertical blinds <shudder> in the front window make it look like perhaps it will be a professional office of some sort rather than the yoga studio mentioned earlier. I looked in the windows of the other retail unit and it looks good. Very high ceilings and exposed pipes and ducts. I noticed the the residential units also have exposed ducts for more of a loft feel.

It appears that the commercial condo on the left hand side is open for business doing Physical Therapy, and is not a Yoga/Wellness studio as rumored earlier. They have a kind of tacky cardboard sign in the window that hopefully is temporary. That combined with vertical blinds is making their store front pretty unattractive at the moment.

It appears that the commercial condo on the left hand side is open for business doing Physical Therapy, and is not a Yoga/Wellness studio as rumored earlier. They have a kind of tacky cardboard sign in the window that hopefully is temporary. That combined with vertical blinds is making their store front pretty unattractive at the moment.

I saw this on my way down there this weekend. Pretty damn disappointing. I was hoping for the yoga studio, as it would have been very convenient. Oh well, perhaps there is hope for the other retail location.

Noticing the guys house on top of JKL Engineering. I must say it looks pretty cool. Woefully out of place, but that gives it some charm. He must have a nice view.

Noticing the guys house on top of JKL Engineering. I must say it looks pretty cool. Woefully out of place, but that gives it some charm. He must have a nice view.

Yeah - I dig it! Its really a strange setup, but certainly has charm. I wonder if you could do a green roof on top of JKL and have a big front yard. that would be really neat.

There is already graffiti on the windows of the physical therapy place! I am so disappointed -- and I can't help but think that the blinds and sign have something to do with it, since it looks like nobody cares about the appearance of the place. I'm going to have to drop off those graffiti "wipes" if they don't have that cleaned soon.

There is already graffiti on the windows of the physical therapy place! I am so disappointed -- and I can't help but think that the blinds and sign have something to do with it, since it looks like nobody cares about the appearance of the place. I'm going to have to drop off those graffiti "wipes" if they don't have that cleaned soon.

Even the nicests places get tagged, I saw a tag on the window at L'Epicureo Downcity on Saturday, it was gone when I walked by yesterday. The big factor is if it gets cleaned up quickly, taggers don't like seeing their tags wiped away, so if a property owner tackles it fast, they move elsewhere.

Archived