ICAR Graduate School

tiger96

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall I like the designs. That said, it worrys me a little that the architects might be trying to "look" futuristic. They knd of look like something from a "Lost in Space" episode. I just hope that in 20 years they don't look dated, like the "modern" designs of the 70's. Call me a traditionalist, but there is a certain staying power for brick.

Overall I like the designs. That said, it worrys me a little that the architects might be trying to "look" futuristic.  They knd of look like something from a "Lost in Space" episode.  I just hope that in 20 years they don't look dated, like the "modern" designs of the 70's.  Call me a traditionalist, but there is a certain staying power for brick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same thing myself. What will they call this type of architecture 100 years from now?

I will say that I like it for what it is, and what it represents for the Upstate. :thumbsup:

The problem that I have with many current well known architects is that they are designing out of context. If you flip though Architectural Record or Metropolis, you often see buildings that are more of a monument to the designer's ego, than to the surrounding built environment. I think the trend toward stand-alone showpiece buildings will change, but I don't know when.

That said, all of the buildings in ICAR and Mil. Campus so far seem to compliment each other. Since the whole area will be new and the architecture will hopefully stay consistent, I think the finished development will make for a nice overall environment.

It is very reminiscent of the kind of architecture you'd see in Barcelona, Spain.  I think it is indeed an architectural ICON for the Upstate - actually the State. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw an article that mentioned that Barcelona was the inspiration for not only this building but how the campus as a whole will be set up. I.E. the plazas.

It should be pointed out that Clemson has a Architecture school in Barcelona as well as in Genova, Italy.

• 1 year later...

The modern style is very inhuman in scale. Everything is large, and it doesn't encourage people to stay and enjoy it. After looking at the site design again, I am not satisfied that this will be any more popular than some of the other grand modern buildings and plazas that Clemson has (eg: the Ag Quad- which is not popular at all). This building will look cool from a distance, so in that regard it will be attractive- but its overall function will not be condusive to creating an environment for the people. I'm afraid that this will become little more than a generic suburban office park when it should be so much more.

The modern style is very inhuman in scale. Everything is large, and it doesn't encourage people to stay and enjoy it. After looking at the site design again, I am not satisfied that this will be any more popular than some of the other grand modern buildings and plazas that Clemson has (eg: the Ag Quad- which is not popular at all). This building will look cool from a distance, so in that regard it will be attractive- but its overall function will not be condusive to creating an environment for the people. I'm afraid that this will become little more than a generic suburban office park when it should be so much more.

Archived