ICAR Graduate School

tiger96

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The modern style is very inhuman in scale. Everything is large, and it doesn't encourage people to stay and enjoy it. After looking at the site design again, I am not satisfied that this will be any more popular than some of the other grand modern buildings and plazas that Clemson has (eg: the Ag Quad- which is not popular at all). This building will look cool from a distance, so in that regard it will be attractive- but its overall function will not be condusive to creating an environment for the people. I'm afraid that this will become little more than a generic suburban office park when it should be so much more.

You're right, and it is hard to say anything for certain, since these thing isnt event built yet. Infact, I think that was my original comment on this topic. Its hard to say what feel the place will have. But I have my reservations about what modern architecture can do for a place when its pretty well proven what it doesn't do. Even still, I'll hold my final opinion until this particular village of ICAR is complete.

With the top-notch architecture minds that Clemson has on campus, I would be shocked for the plan to be a failure. Plus, I'm sure Clemson is using a firm to design the ICAR plans. They know a lot more about this sort of thing than we do. That's not to say that they are perfect, but a project of this scale obviously requires a lot of research and collaboration among planners. I don't think they would take a huge risk that stands a good chance to fail. Rather, I bet they are way ahead of the curve on this one and it will turn out to be a model others will follow in the future.

The overall scope and plan may change, if what we've heard in the past is true. I know that ICAR officials have talked about adding residential and retail to the master plan. With the multi-cluster campus design, including paved walking/cycling trails connecting them, plus the definite plan for a rail transit connection to downtown, I think it has the potential to be a very sustainable development in the end. Fortunately the entire area surrounding the campus is moving toward becoming a new center for commercial and residential living in Greenville. :shades:

The overall scope and plan may change, if what we've heard in the past is true. I know that ICAR officials have talked about adding residential and retail to the master plan. With the multi-cluster campus design, including paved walking/cycling trails connecting them, plus the definite plan for a rail transit connection to downtown, I think it has the potential to be a very sustainable development in the end. Fortunately the entire area surrounding the campus is moving toward becoming a new center for commercial and residential living in Greenville. :shades:

Greenville your exactly right the CU ICAR development group hired the Facility group out of Georgia to help design the Graduate center.I can't recall the architect but it was designed outside of the Clemson campus. I work for a engineering firm that has worked on the project from the beginning and this building has been a real challange due to its architectual design.This project is a big deal for this area with its cutting edge design and should be a great addition to the growing I-85 corridor.

Archived