Lullwater Development in Macon

wks2003x

Luxurious Restaurants, Hotels and Stores galore. Macon continues to crawl up I-75 toward Atlanta. The "Lullwater" development (at Bass Rd. & I-75) in Macon keeps getting larger in scale, plus developers are lining up to cram as many stores as possible at Bass Rd. & I-75...so here's a new topic to track the Bass Road explosion of growth.

...And here are the latest articles surrounding it...

North Bibb Project to get hotel, developer says

Bass draws retail center

Lullwater Village is going to be Macon's first lifestyle center, which is planned to be modelled after The Avenue East Cobb, The Avenue West Cobb, and The Avenue Peachtree City. The twist is hotels and restaurants are also planned to be built at the site.

Other ambitious developments are in the works for the Bass Road area. Providence Town Center will be an even larger retail center that will serve the Providence Community.

Looks like Macon will be growing another exit closer to Atlanta.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass Pro Shops was the catalyst for this massive explosion of development. It will be one of the area's anchor stores.

headerImage47.jpg

Here's the current count on approved developments in the area:

Bass Pro Shops - 600,000 sq. ft.

Bass Rd. Upscale Retail Shopping Center - 400,000 to 500,000 sq. ft.

Lullwater Village - 284,000 sq. ft.

Providence Town Center - 750,000 sq. ft.

North Winds Office Complex - 400,000 sq. ft.

Riverside Dr. Upscale Retail Center - 850,000 to 900,000 sq. ft.

Total New Retail Space: 2.8 to 3.0 million sq. ft. That's more retail space than the Mall of Georgia! That total doesn't include the hotels or the North Winds Office Complex. In addition, more businesses are trying to relocate offices to the area surrounding Lullwater.

It'll be very interesting to see how these major developments unfold and impact the city. I'm wondering if such a huge retail development will hurt the success of Macon Mall & Eisenhower Crossing? Or even worse, will it hurt Downtown Macon's renaissance efforts?

Holy crap that's big!

Unfortunately this will do nothing but hurt existing businesses in Macon. There's no way a city of Macon's size can absorb 3 million square feet of retail without closing businesses elsewhere. How far is this from the major population centers in the area? Are locals going to come to this development for their everyday needs, or will it be a draw for exurban Atlantans?

Holy crap that's big!

Unfortunately this will do nothing but hurt existing businesses in Macon.  There's no way a city of Macon's size can absorb 3 million square feet of retail without closing businesses elsewhere.  How far is this from the major population centers in the area?  Are locals going to come to this development for their everyday needs, or will it be a draw for exurban Atlantans?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm concerned about the sheer size of all this retail growth too. All of these developments are located on the very northern edge of Bibb County...some even spill over into Monroe County...so it's a good distance from the city's center.

On a good note, Macon's northern suburbs have been growing at a very rapid pace (esp. Monroe and Jones Counties) so that should help absorb some of the retail. Plus, developers have been trying to build a mall on the north side of town for years.

Also, as indicated in one of the articles in the Macon Telegraph, developers are in fact expecting to draw business from exurban Atlantans. It's kind of scary to think that the next development serving Atlantans will be built right here in Macon.

I've also noticed lately that Macon has a seemingly insatiable appetite for more retail. Eisenhower Crossing opened in 2001 and the mall didn't skip a beat. We have 2 Old Navy's less than a mile apart and business is booming in both of them. So who knows?

I'm also wondering...with nearly 3 million square feet of retail space to fill...what kinds of stores are they going fill it with?? The coming months will be very interesting indeed.

In typical 'Mactown' fashion, the Bass Road explosion of growth is already causing some controversy. The announcement of several retail developments on the northern edge of Bibb County has now caused county line disputes to resurface.

There's been a disagreement as to where the Bibb/Monroe county line is for a long time, but now that millions of tax dollars are at stake for both Bibb and Monroe, the counties are going to try to settle where the county borders are. You can check out the latest article from the Macon Telegraph.

Let's hope they figure this one out quickly. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Then new Lullater developement in North Macon/Monroe Co. has all the makings of becoming Macon's own "little Buckhead". Already with the largest (and nicest) mall outside of the metro Atlanta area, there are plans to build another one on the north end of the city. The lifestyle center originally estimated to be about 2-3 million sqft is already eyeing 4 or maybe even 5. Most of the wealthy in Macon live in north Bibb and Monroe Co. so expect very high end and upscale developments. Does anyone one else have anymore info on this project? Are high-rise condos coming to Macon?

I doubt very seriously Macon could support 4-5 million sq. ft. of new retail. That would shut everything else in town down. And I doubt highrise condos will be built any time soon. Maybe one, but would be a stretch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe 5 is me being an optimist, but 4 million is a reality. The interest shown by various developers is unreal and ppl are jumping all over this. What u have to understand is UPSCALE is a new concept to the Macon metro. theres only a few place in middle georgia that u can go and feel like a VIP. Lullwater will create that and by it being a whole diferent aspect of retail other areas of the city wont be affected as much. (Iagree some reatailers will take a hit). But it also is almost certain to bring tenants and LOADS of consumers down from Atlanta to Macon who want nothing more but to have a vialble alternative to the inconvenience of going out in Atlanta. Macon's shopping scene has been viewed as inferior to Atlanta which prevents that from happenng now but Lullwater and a few smaller developments will soon change that.

Doug do you have any links to Lullwater?

This comment is interesting:

But it also is almost certain to bring tenants and LOADS of consumers down from Atlanta to Macon who want nothing more but to have a vialble alternative to the inconvenience of going out in Atlanta. Macon's shopping scene has been viewed as inferior to Atlanta which prevents that from happenng now but Lullwater and a few smaller developments will soon change that.

I would be very interested in seeing this place. To pull people from Atlanta down to Macon for shopping will be an extremely tall order. I mean what's upscale to some locales may not be upscale to Atlanta. Another problem with that is that Atlanta is very top heavy.......meaning that alot of her population is above I-20. I can't see someone driving from Alpharetta or Marietta or Duluth.....or downtown for that matter to go shooping. Now this center may be able to pull from Henry County but there is a proposed mall scheduled there in McDonough.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

4-5 million sq. ft is a bit much I think. Macon is way to small to handle that much new development. All of the other shopping areas would close because of the competition or they would just leave to put their business there leaving empty big-boxes everywhere. I just don't see people driving down from Atlanta to shop there when they already have that stuff and more. With gas prices as high as they are, nobody is going to drive 85-90 miles to shop when they have it right around the corner. It seems like a really nice development, but I just think it will have a negative impact on other areas of town.

4-5 million sq. ft is a bit much I think. Macon is way to small to handle that much new development. All of the other shopping areas would close because of the competition or they would just leave to put their business there leaving empty big-boxes everywhere. I just don't see people driving down from Atlanta to shop there when they already have that stuff and more. With gas prices as high as they are, nobody is going to drive 85-90 miles to shop when they have it right around the corner. It seems like a really nice development, but I just think it will have a negative impact on other areas of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an apt. in Atlana and from the soutern metro area, i can make it to macon in 30- 45 min depending on where i am. For ppl in Henry, Fayette, an Clayton. Thats not a bad deal for them to get to a comparable shopping center they would have to go through downtown(to Buckhead, Dunwoody, Alpharetta even) the trip to Macon is a much better option. pLUS Atlantas sprwl is already spilling over into Macons Metro (Monroe Co.). There are a good number of ppl who just work there and would actually live closer to Lullwater anyway. And yes it will be TRULY upscale. Probably too upscale for Macon initially, but well see hat happens.

I actually counted the reatail and office spcae which is my fault. But make no mistake. retail will hit the 3s . I garantee it, and i dont think it will be a bad thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out my Lullwater thread for a more accurate total of new retail space. My count so far is in the 2.8 to 3.0 million range...but 3 million sq. ft. is nothing to ignore, and more developers are jumping on the Lullwater bandwagon every week. This will certainly be one of the largest retail and office hubs in the state. In fact, Macon will be the first second-tier city to get such a large upscale commercial district...now if only I could afford to shop there.

Greetings everyone!

The new Lullwater development is an exciting event for Macon, Bibb County and perhaps all of middle Georgia. This development will impact growth on Macon's northern edge with quality development. This could potentially speed the day when both metros are intermingled. Who knows, maybe we will even have a commuter rail stop located in Lullwater. :D

I decided to combine both the Lullwater thread with the Retail BOOM in Macon thread so we can ensure as much discussion about this exciting retail, office and residential explosion without minimizing it's potentially dazzling contribution to the greater middle Georgia region.

Thank you for understanding and continued valuable posting about Macon's growing development news.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little update on Lullwater. So far the tenants of all these retail developments have been a mystery, but there will be two upscale hotels coming to the area. One will be a Hilton Garden Inn Hotel. The other hotel tenant is still unknown. One will be a 100 room hotel and the other will be a 240 room hotel. To my surprise, both hotels will be midrises. So this could very well mean the beginning of taller buildings sprouting up in the Bass Rd. area. And if I'm not mistaken, this will also be the first Hilton Garden Inn to come to Macon...Atlanta, Columbus, Savannah, Albany and Athens already have these hotels.

Here's a little update on Lullwater. So far the tenants of all these retail developments have been a mystery, but there will be two upscale hotels coming to the area. One will be a Hilton Garden Inn Hotel. The other hotel tenant is still unknown. One will be a 100 room hotel and the other will be a 240 room hotel. To my surprise, both hotels will be midrises. So this could very well mean the beginning of taller buildings sprouting up in the Bass Rd. area. And if I'm not mistaken, this will also be the first Hilton Garden Inn to come to Macon...Atlanta, Columbus, Savannah, Albany and Athens already have these hotels.

Yes, Columbus just had their Hilton Garden Inn Hotel built a few months ago. The hotel is beautiful. It is located on a lake. The hotel has 5 floors and 125 rooms. It is located in an affluent business park called Brookstone Centre located off of JR Allen Parkway. That area of Columbus is almost completely built out. Glad to see Macon get one.

Archived