Before and After Photos

TheAnk

...does anyone here have access to dubplicate it?

Definitely the Superman building.

As far as access, we could always ask!

(Although in my picture taking history, I've been shocked how many times people have said "No," most recently at a building in Boston that had a great skyline vista and every previous occupant of the "Rubix Cube" building here in Providence I've approached has said "No" as well)

I would, however, wait until everything (Westin II, Waterplace, etc) is done so that the access isn't "wasted."

- Garris

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of my favorites..almost unrecognizable now except for the Statehouse and the highway, now hidden!

I believe this is from the website mentioned earlier and was taken when Waterplace Park was proposed in the early 80's (1983 is scratched out on the negative)

You can see the lower part of the building it was taken from at the bottom of the shot - is that the Superman bldg and does anyone here have access to dubplicate it?

Pre-Waterplace.jpg

What a complete mess. It just loos like a sea of parking around railroad tracks and at the top of the picture you have the state house alone. Pats on the back of all the men and woman who have got us to our present point...

here's a doofus question--are the roads and streets so wide because many of them had streetcars? When did all those streets widen? They couldn't have that wide in the 1700's when providence was starting to get built up...What was demolished to make some of these streets so ever-lovin' huge? it coudln't have been traffic pressures!

• 3 months later...
no luck on that photo of wick/benefit, but I met a docent who does children's tours at PPS and is a old-time fox pointer. He is a self-made archivist/folklorist/collector of all things fox point, and I remember him talking about what used to be at that intersection. I bet if you called PPS and asked Kathleen how to contact the Fox Point docent, she'd hook you up. PPS might have some photos too.

Archived