Bloomingdale's to Nashville?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to not get too involved in the shopping talk although I do admit that the prospect of driving down Hillsboro Road and seeing a Bloomie's gives me a little bit of an eye twinkle. Macy's is mid-tier like Hecht's nowadays, but geared toward the areas in which they're located unlike Hecht's which supplies most stores the same way across the board (oh, I did read the article). I'm really more interested in what independent retailers and such will lease downtown when retail returns in the next few years. Nashville has billions of dollars in retail development going on because we have a wickedly low (one of the lowest) retail vacancy rates in the country, a higher than average number of people who can afford to shop till they drop, and the interest of nationally branded retailers across the country. The introduction of new opportunities to spend money is going to happen, but I hope we don't see all that as what defines our city, but only as a piece of it...and it is an important piece, but nothing to get obsessed over. You read the Charlotte posts and those kids are really excited about Nordstrum, Neiman and such moving into Charlotte ... and I dare say, that when those stores move into Nashville in the future, the excitement will be there for those who find that exciting news. I for one think those names are presitge building because of the brand notoriety. My money will still go to TJMaxx because it goes further, but many, many people have much more cash than I do, so more power to them. I don't really care where they land, CoolSprings, Hendersonville, wherever. I just truly hope some of it trickles downtown eventually. Until then, I'll keep buying that little PowerBall ticket hoping that someday, I, too, can shop till I drop.

You never can tell what a high end retailer can do for the city. When the names Macy's or Bloomingdale's are thrown out, it could be a draw for someone with high income trying to decide where to relocate to. If someone is considering, lets say Nashville or Atlanta, and they like Nashville but there is no high end shopping without driving 3 or 4 hours, they may go to Atlanta. It is a quality of life issue with some people and something as simple as shopping could tip the scales in one direction or another.

I'm confused. Wasn't it already decided that Macy's is replacing all Nashville Hect's stores, including Green Hills? This was dicussed in a recent forum, and this is what the article says is "expected." The only lead on Bloomingdale's seems to be coming from mall employees who say Green Hills "could" become Bloomingdale's. Seems like a dream (which I hope comes true)... Bloomingdale's would be huge for the city's image! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I agree with 'Dave' and 'Smeagols' that the big benefit may be ancillary in nature. We may have other retail take a serious look just because Bloomies opens and the wives of Corp CEO's may be more inclined to move to Nashville with more prestigious retailers. It is all about momentum...

and to the 'Kid' thanks for the apology no hard feelings here...

...although I do admit that the prospect of driving down Hillsboro Road and seeing a Bloomie's gives me a little bit of an eye twinkle. Macy's is mid-tier like Hecht's nowadays...

I'm really more interested in what independent retailers and such will lease downtown when retail returns in the next few years.  I just truly hope some of it trickles downtown eventually.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Dave, for all your thoughtful commentary -- you're very instructive. I used to be a real clothes horse/shopping fool (back when I was young and foolish). Now that that kind of thing isn't so important, I don't keep up with department stores that much -- so I automatically assumed "Macy's = Upscale" and that we would have "arrived" when they got here. Interesting that they're not much different than Hechts or Dillards.

Like you, I can't wait to see what other retailers end up downtown and in the gulch.

David

Speaking of changing department stores, Hickory Hollow Mall is losing its Dillard's; will that mall end up on deadmalls.com or will it find a replacement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it will. But you never know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sooner or later, they all will. :lol:

I'm confused.  Wasn't it already decided that Macy's is replacing all Nashville Hect's stores, including Green Hills?  This was dicussed in a recent forum, and this is what the article says is "expected."  The only lead on Bloomingdale's seems to be coming from mall employees who say Green Hills "could" become Bloomingdale's.  Seems like a dream (which I hope comes true)...  Bloomingdale's would be huge for the city's image!  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bloomingdale's in Nashville is mostly speculation. All those stores are turning from Hecht's to Macy's.

Archived