Media: Tallahassee Democrat Sold!

Florida

Well... as we've already learned the Tallahassee Democrat will be under new ownership and managerment pending approval of the deal. My question sits at what changes we should expect from Florida's capitol press... will it ever shake its reputation as a Fish Wrapper now that its joining the USA Today team?

Its my thought that we can only get better from here. I'd like to see them reformat the paper to better reflect the unique character of the city as a Historic Government community, wouldn't some fancy letters be nice at the heading of the paper?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I recall, they used to use a more classic font for the paper's title. I share your hope that only good things will come from the Democrat's recent acquisition. However, in general I dislike the notion of a large corporation buying up local papers, or buying up media in general. As it stands now almost all of the news we receive comes from only a handful of companies. Call me cynical when it comes to media ownership by large corporations, I suppose. :)

I've visited some of the websites of the Gannett Co.'s newspapers and I share concerns about their content and layout. I'm growing concerned that this could be a step in the wrong direction but I don't want to make assumptions. I wish we were owned by a small company like the St. Pete Times, but chances are quality would suffer from shortages in funds if that were the case...

But sure I'm afraid of changes that may happen to TDO.com.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be awesome. I think Floridians should know whats going on in their state capital... sadly enough I can understand why they don't want to read our newspaper in its current condition to do so.

Like you said, I hope things look up. Its not terrible to me. But they sure could do alot better with details and wording.

Archived