Madison, WI

Garris

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen a lot of Madison, WI photos and had some from about a year ago sitting around. Of all my times in Madison, I only took photos once, on a pretty bleak day for several hours. The photos aren't my best, but since I haven't seen a lot of Madison photos on UP, I decided to post them.

Enjoy!

Across a lake looking from a pier:

madisonskyline10pr.jpg

The Capitol:

capitol12zv.jpg

capitol26dv.jpg

capitol31rz.jpg

The State Street area (which are slightly blurry, since I didn't have my tripod):

statestreet15wf.jpg

statestreet27bi.jpg

statest35sb.jpg

statest46om.jpg

A view from inside a State St. restaurant:

madisonrestaurant3ll.jpg

A few Downtown views:

lake12av.jpg

downtown1copy9qa.jpg

madisonwebalt7oz.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour...

- Garris

Providence, RI

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics! Is it Madison that is one of the top places for businesses the last few years?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I think it was #1 on the Money Magazine list for cities to do business. It also frequently shows up on the top of places to live in running magazines, due to its extensive running trail system (somewhat odd given the weather).

For those wondering about the lack of really tall skyscrapers, I believe the city has an ordinance saying no structure can be higher than the height of the base of the capitol dome atop the hill.

- Garris

Providence, RI

For those wondering about the lack of really tall skyscrapers, I believe the city has an ordinance saying no structure can be higher than the height of the base of the capitol dome atop the hill.

Think that will stand for a long time?

Its amazing to me that so many cities that have a decent size DT are in this country that you just don't here about. It is great to see this. I wonder what will be the next little city to emerge with a nice DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the next little city with a nice DT, may I direct you to my photography page link below with my photos of Providence, RI?

- Garris

Providence, Ri

For the next little city with a nice DT, may I direct you to my photography page link below with my photos of Providence, RI?

- Garris

Providence, Ri

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see Providence as a small city. Might I also direct you to check the Norfolk/Vabeach/Newport News photos on our thread.

I don't see Providence as a small city. Might I also direct you to check the Norfolk/Vabeach/Newport News photos on our thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all perspective. Living here, I see Providence as a small-medium sized city (population of 180,000, metro of, depending who you trust, 900,000-1.2 million). Madison actually is a slightly bigger city (I think about 220,000) but a much smaller metro (about 450,000 or so).

I'm actually decently familiar with the Norfolk area, and like it. I also have a friend from there as well, and she likes it too, but wishes it had, in her words, "more cultural options."

Great photo thread. Lots of good street level shots. The skyline shot at the end was superb though.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Great Pics

I was up in Madison in July of '04, and I loved it. It was MUCH more then I expected.

It seemed to be very clean in most areas, the people were great, there was plenty to do, and the food was very good.

Thanks for the compliment. Your impression was more or less correct. It's a surprising city. It's virtually unknown here in the Northeast, so when I lived in the Midwest and visited, it was surprising.

- Garris

Providence, RI

Archived