New Garden Road area (potential wendover)

jervais

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that the intersection of New Garden Road and Bryan Blvd has alot of new developments...Do you think this area will become another Wendover? I just saw signs to build another shopping Plaza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see it becominng like the intersection of Providence/Ballantyne Commons/I-485 in South Charlotte. To me, Wendover is more like Independence in Charlotte and the New Garden Road area is nicer, more residential so it won't look as bad and big-boxy as Wendover

i used to live on brassfield road, near the intersection of new garden and bryan. that area will not be like wendover, but if they build that new mall there, it will get much more congested. i think they need to widen the stretch of new garden between battleground and bryan that is currently 2 lanes into 4 lanes, or at least create a middle turning lane through that stretch.

i agree that west wendover is more like independence in charlotte and i could also see the intersection of bryan and new garden becoming sort of like providence and 485. it would be more like providence and 51 at the arboretum if that mall gets built.

No doubt developers are foaming at the mouth but i'm not sure if residents would allow it to become another Wendover Ave. The majority of new development that has sprouted up around the Bryan Blvd expressway so far is residential development. This was the same area where a developer had planned to build a major regional enclosed mall and neighbors fought it to the point where the developer backed down. I think we'll see some development but I dont know if it will ever become the chaos like on West Wendover Ave and I-40.

I have always thought that the Wendover I-40 area would look better if they hadn't clear-cut the all the trees, it almost looks barren. I think the New Garden/Bryan Blvd area is a much more appealing area aesthetically, kind of reminds me of some of the development in Raleigh. I also think areas look better when the power lines are buried.

There are just so many shopping centers and big box stores near I-40 and Wendover, it reminds me alot of some areas in Newport News, Virginia where there are stores and big box retailers all over the place. After Atlanta and Miami, The Hampton Roads areas is the 3rd most sprawled region in the South. Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach is like one big city.

If I remember correctly, when the whole New Garden Road area was being considered for development, there were many protests and land deals were made to appease the residents of the neighboring areas. Jefferson Pilot had land that became land for a school and in exchange there was land allowed to become shopping areas. I want to say that there were promises that the development wouldnt get out of hand as well, but what that meant then and now might be different as different people are in office and different folks might live in the area now. I also remember a big stink about the Home Depot being built right up on that hill behind a nice higher income neighborhood there as well. Home Depot built, much to the disappointment of those residents. I do not personally think any area is safe from being turned into one long strip mall...but hopefully the governing powers of Greensboro keep enough of Greensboro "green" ....and not allow another "green" of $$ to rule their decisions.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so far I hear Target and Red Robin for Jefferson Village.

On the rumormill:

Old Navy, Dick's Sporting Goods, On The Border, Border's Books & Music, Linen's N Things and/or Bed bath and Beyond.... maybe a Circuit City or a Best Buy... typical power center stores basically.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived