More new condos

svs650k3

Anyone know about this one? I haven't heard anything about this project until I saw it on grar.com and walked through it today. It's a small project, only about 6 or 8 condos with a community rooftop deck w/ hot tub. Units start at $180K and are no more than 1000sq. ft. with shared parking adjacent to the building. 2 units are sold and they expect a few units to be done around september.

http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/...TR=000014&PT=ST

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this is the old Dayton Building, known when it was built as "the finest apartment building in GR". I heard the guy doing this project has a couple of other buildings in the area that he plans to rehab. I love to see these old buildings get rehabbed instead of St. Mary's knocking them down for another parking lot... :)

Joe

Anyone know about this one?  I haven't heard anything about this project until I saw it on grar.com and walked through it today.  It's a small project, only about 6 or 8 condos with a community rooftop deck w/ hot tub.  Units start at $180K and are no more than 1000sq. ft.  with shared parking adjacent to the building.  2 units are sold and they expect a few units to be done around september.

http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/...TR=000014&PT=ST

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far I am not impressed with the rehab of this building. I am pretty much at the Cottage Bar every Friday night so I drive past it a lot. Particularly I do not like the windows. I guess I should reserve judgement until the renovations are done.

Yes, this is the old Dayton Building, known when it was built as "the finest apartment building in GR". I heard the guy doing this project has a couple of other buildings in the area that he plans to rehab. I love to see these old buildings get rehabbed instead of St. Mary's knocking them down for another parking lot... :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats for sure. Mary's, I believe, has just made a mess of that part of town. I wonder how many buildings like the dayton have gone down so they can have their employee used car lots? Maybe the Dayton will be a sign of a new direction for the area. However, "shared parking adjacent to the building"? That just sounds like a recipe for quasi-urbanism.

What about on street parking? :whistling:

It seems like hospitals get a free pass when it comes to wrecking towns with parking lots, simply because they are hospitals. Shared parking isn't that bad usually, since most places have zoning requirements that say "You must have X amount of parking spaces (usually 2) per dwelling." They generally cut down on the number of lots, there are still lots nonetheless.

Street parking is a better idea, every street should have it on both sides. GR has too many parking lots/garages as it is if you ask me.

To clarify a little on the parking thing, from what I was told parking will be available free in the lot across the street on the SW corner of Cherry and Lagrave where there are other apartments. He also mentioned on-street parking so you can obviously park on the street.

A little off this thread's current topic, but still on the general subject of "More new condos" ...

I noticed a sign at Fulton and Union advertising "Stoner Hill Condominiums." This has to be the Stoner building, a little five-unit apartment building two or three houses up Union from that intersection. I remember it being kind of dingy when I had friends who lived there, but that was probably a reflection on my friends more so than on the building.

Does anyone know who's converting this building into condos? The sign was pretty generic.

A little off this thread's current topic, but still on the general subject of "More new condos" ...

I noticed a sign at Fulton and Union advertising "Stoner Hill Condominiums." This has to be the Stoner building, a little five-unit apartment building two or three houses up Union from that intersection. I remember it being kind of dingy when I had friends who lived there, but that was probably a reflection on my friends more so than on the building.

Does anyone know who's converting this building into condos? The sign was pretty generic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

woz, I went and investigated and found it. That is a great looking building, and that part of Union is a fantastic little neighborhood. A lot of beautiful homes along there.

4C7B10E00B6F11DA9D61E34D18F73B1D.jpg

Cannon & Co. on Cherry Street. Don't know anything about them.

woz, I went and investigated and found it.  That is a great looking building, and that part of Union is a fantastic little neighborhood.  A lot of beautiful homes along there.

4C7B10E00B6F11DA9D61E34D18F73B1D.jpg

Cannon & Co. on Cherry Street.  Don't know anything about them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOVE that building! Cannon has refurbished quite a few homes in the HH area, but he seems to stop short of the finishing touches. I believe he refurbished the house right across from Martha's Vineyard, but didn't finish off the edges of the roof. Looked like a hack job. I'm not sure about the materials he uses either. The paint seems to peel rather quickly.

• 7 months later...

Hmm, I wish I would have known about this project a few months ago before I bought my house. These actually look affordable unlike just about every other condo project downtown. Not that it would have made a huge difference, I paid less for my house and got a lot more space, but living right downtown again would be neat. Someday...

-nb

Archived