Chattanooga Downtown Developments

ATLBrain

Here on biz, I got caught up on some of the new projects downtown. First, the waterfront is absolutely awesome with the new addition to the aquarium and the tram to the new museum. Speaking of the museum, the addition to the Hunter on the bluff is nothing short of stunning. It is a Gehry-like (destructionist) metallic building that appears to meld into the rocky bluff on which it sits. I have not had a chance to go inside. The quay is still under construction, and it will have plenty of dock space available.

The new apartments and condos are everywhere. I noted that there are three large (5-7 story) condo buildings under construction now. Apparently there are more apartments on the way (between the university and downtown). There is a beautiful new greenway along the river (aka Riverwalk), along which people can ride bikes etc. or walk for thirteen miles without having to get on a street. There are plans for more.

Plus, the north shore is booming with lots of mixed use including 417 Tremont, Collier Square, and a new hotel and condo building at Renaissance Park. Unfortunately, the Town and Country has closed to make way for a new Walgreens. Oh well, Coolidge Park is really beautiful and there are young, outdoorsy types everywhere.

On the north tip of downtown is a new (planned) marina and hotel and extension of the Riverwalk. Also, Blue Cross/Blue Shield will be starting this winter on its huge new HQ atop Cameron Hill.

I'm sure there's more to see, but I didn't get out of downtown/north shore. It's worth a second trip. Anybody have anything to add. Thanks. Andy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here on biz, I got caught up on some of the new projects downtown.  First, the waterfront is absolutely awesome with the new addition to the aquarium and the tram to the new museum.  Speaking of the museum, the addition to the Hunter on the bluff is nothing short of stunning.  It is a Gehry-like (destructionist) metallic building that appears to meld into the rocky bluff on which it sits.  I have not had a chance to go inside.  The quay is still under construction, and it will have plenty of dock space available. 

The new apartments and condos are everywhere.  I noted that there are three large (5-7 story) condo buildings under construction now.  Apparently there are more apartments on the way (between the university and downtown).  There is a beautiful new greenway along the river (aka Riverwalk), along which people can ride bikes etc. or walk for thirteen miles without having to get on a street.  There are plans for more. 

Plus, the north shore is booming with lots of mixed use including 417 Tremont, Collier Square, and a new hotel and condo building at Renaissance Park.  Unfortunately, the Town and Country has closed to make way for a new Walgreens.  Oh well, Coolidge Park is really beautiful and there are young, outdoorsy types everywhere.

On the north tip of downtown is a new (planned) marina and hotel and extension of the Riverwalk.  Also, Blue Cross/Blue Shield will be starting this winter on its huge new HQ atop Cameron Hill.

I'm sure there's more to see, but I didn't get out of downtown/north shore.  It's worth a second trip.  Anybody have anything to add.  Thanks. Andy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I moved down here from Nashville three years ago. I'm originally from Nashville and that will always feel like home to me. But I love Chattanooga!!! If I can't live in Nashville, this is as good a place as there is IMO. :rolleyes: The downtown area is expecially nice. I don't know of another town in the south its size with the kind of vibrancy and beauty Chattanooga's downtown area has.

Here's another development for Chattanooga just announced yesterday:

Suites Hotel At Cameron Harbor To Be 6-8 Stories

posted August 23, 2005

A suites hotel at the planned $75 million Cameron Harbor development will be 6-8 stories high, developer John B. Haslett of Cape Canaveral, Fla. said

He got City Council approval on Tuesday to go higher than the original six stories limit.

Mr. Haslett said he is having to spend $8.3 million just to dredge out his planned marina and reinforce it with a retaining wall and needs to have as many rooms as possible in the hotel.

Officials said they would allow the higher building since the site is below the roadway and the background is Cameron Hill.

They said there might be a different ruling on a property further down the river at a higher elevation and not having Cameron Hill in the background.

Mr. Haslett said he plans to close on the property at the old Gilman Paint site on Riverfront Parkway next month.

He said the planned theatre at Cameron Harbor will have live entertainment. He said it will be operated by Todd Booth, longtime manager of the Alhambra Dinner Theatre at Jacksonville, Fla.

Mr. Haslett hopes to get many of the hotel guests from those traveling along the Tennessee River. They will be able to pull their boat up to the marina and spend the night at the hotel.

Officials said Mr. Haslett plans to build a section of the Riverwalk through his entire development. The Riverwalk currently ends at the MarineMax site near Ross's Landing Park.

source Chattanooga.com

I know of UT-Chatt, but what other colleges and universities are located in Chatt?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides UT-Chattanooga, there is Southern Adventist University, Tennessee Temple University, and Chattanooga State Technical Community College in the Chattanooga area.

Archived