Evans-Columbia County

DaGABoyStinger

There are areas in Southern Evans that offer affordable housing and easy access to Fort Gordon ( Belair Road area around I-20). Also Grovetown is a booming around relatively close to base and affordable, but still a 20 minute drive to any decent shopping or entertainment (although i am sure that will change soon.) South Augusta is an overlooked side of town but is still growing. New restaurants/businesses are popping up all the time and there are all kinds of new subdivisions there. Your best bet would be Summerville or West Augusta. IMO the best areas of town.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh... Anyone see the new Columbia Co. article in the Chronicle...? The arrogance and superiority of these people kills me. The article was about the name for the new government. Surprisingly, one commissioner suggested West Augusta, but he was laughed out of the room.

Here's the quote that kills me:

"What's wrong with Evans?" Columbia County probate judge and county historian Pat Hardway said. "That was one just voted 32nd best place to live.

" ... I like that much better than anything associated with Augusta."

Surely these people don't think their homes would exist if they weren't associated with Augusta.... friggin idiots...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/09230...t_5255369.shtml

Edited by Topher1

Yeah, this article was very distrubing, and sort of surprising. For a county that seems to have it together, you would think they would already have the name picked out before the decision was even voted on. I almost thought this was a gag story, but I guess not, it's actually sad. Evans or Martinez seems appropriate if best, followed by any other city name in Columbia Co. AS A MATTER OF FACT, I wouldn't even WANT them to EVEN HAVE MY Augusta's name anyway. West Augusta, HA!!! As far as I'm concerned this name needs to stay where it needs to be, in RICHMOND County. It doesn't make any sense, especially when THEY have their OWN agendas and want their own recognition anyway away from the Original Augusta. You'll soon rather be from "Evans, GA" and not "Augusta" anyway, so that shouldn't of been suggested even jokingly.

• 2 weeks later...

The NEW Mullins Shopping Center is finally opening up and the first tenants are having their grand openings this week, including the NEW Evans Target (Augusta Area's 3RD), Kohls (Area's 1ST), Chick-Fil-A (Area's 4TH or 5TH, not sure). The New Babie's R Us will open next week, followed by PETCO (only other one outside ATL that I know of in GA), and Cost Plus world market (ALSO the only other one outside ATL in GA). ALSO there is MORE mixed use developements like Residential Low-Mid rise condos, planned for this same area in the coming months and few years.

This is ONLY ONE of 4-6 New shopping centers planned for the Evans area over the next two-three years. With more to keep on coming.

Edited by DaGABoyStinger

Actually, last time I was in Evans (about a month ago) there were at least 4 shopping Centers of decent size under construction, (including the Target one), and at least 4 more signs put up for ones planned, including Marshall Square, which will be a mixed use lifestyle center (currently they are doing environmental studies on the site before they turn dirt. Another sign I noticed was for what looked like a 2 story shopping center at the intersection of Belair Rd. and Washington Rd. I sped by pretty fast but thats what it looked like. I also heard on the news there will be 5-6 new restaurants built next year in front of Mullins Center. Sprawl on Evans!!

Oh and Target will probably add another store in either N. Augusta or S. Augusta in the next year or two.

• 1 month later...

Just announced, there are additionals plans being made for Mullins Crossing Shopping center. Phase II is in the works, even with Phase I still yet to be fully completed. Details on retailers have not been announced (as always, :( ) but they claim it to be more national retailers like of what's already there now. The center is expected to be about double what is there now, which currently is at about 440,000 square feet. Defintelly a great retail boom for the area.

Its amazing how much retail space is now in the works for Augusta metro. By 2007, the city will have 4 shopping centers/malls/lifestyle centers with around or above 1,000,000 sq. ft. These include Mullins Crossing, Augusta Mall, Riverwatch Commons, and Augusta Village. Not to mention the smaller and more upscale Lifestyle Centers, The Avenue and Marshall Square, (and existing Surrey Center). Can this metro of 515,000 support this much retail? Just seems like ALOT all at once. I know Evans is growing like crazy and it is probably under-retailed right now, but it just seems like too much at once. I wish AT LEAST ONE....JUST ONE project was underway somewhere in DT Augusta. I think it is about time for a midrise condo with street-front retail somewhere on Broad Street...the kind of developments you see in similarly sized areas (Greenville SC, Sarasota Fl). Why cant that work in AUG???

One more piece of news, Riverwood Plantation area of Evans, is also in the process of approving zoning for 1500 acres of land behind the existing neighborhood, and building over 3000 NEW residential units, including condos, townhomes, and single family homes, as well as some commercial developments. This is at a serious controversy with the county and residents of the area. Highway widening in existing 2 -lane areas of this proposed community are still a ways away, construction will not be finished until 2010. Traffic is apparently already a problem at this neighborhood, and the county is having issues in building roads fast enough to satisfy the growing demand for development in the area.

Riverwood Plantation Website

This is a recently developed mixed use community that incorportates some of Augusta and Charleston's old architecture from downtown and brings them here. Currently is developing phase I on 2300 acres, Phase II will be on an additional 1500 acres to the NW adjacent to the current site.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the current controversey:

Columbia Co officials have tried to meet with the mayor's of Grovetown and Harlem to try to negotiate their support of consolidation. These cites are against consolidating the Evans-Martinez area with the rest of the county because it would leave their cities landlocked, and cut-off from future growth.

These cities are currently the only incorporated cities and are also considered to have more of a higher poverty rate then the rest of the county. The unincorporated parts of Evans and Martinez have one of the highest income levels in the state.

Not to mention the confusion that the residents are having to face as to what this would mean for their neighborhoods. Some argue that they don't want to inherit Augusta-Richmond County's similar government problems.

If all goes to plan Evans-Columbia County could be voted on by next election (Nov 2006), and consolidated by January 2007 if passed. And it Immediately will become Georgia's 7th Largest City, yes bigger than Sandy Springs and right under all the other large to mid cities in GA.

I hope that Harlem holds out to retain its distinct identity. So far as I'm concerned it is the only town in Columbia County that actually has the ablility to say that. That is, unless they want to call it Harlem-Columbia County. I dont know if Grovetown is just a suburban incorporation or a historic town, so could someone clarify that. My impression is that it is just like Evans.

Spartan, I was in Grovetown about 3-4 months ago. I was looking for a new car and my father has a friend who runs a auto dealership there. I didnt get a chance to look around town or to even see if it had a historic downtown area, but I was really suprised at what i saw. More of a midwestern looking sprawl with the very cookie cutter homes packed up close together. Other than that and the suburban style businesses that lined the street we were on it looked still semi rural.

From reading the chronicle today, if Columbia county consolidated now it would automatically be the 7th largest city in the state (right under Macon). By 2010, they are predicting that it will be at #5 largest, since Savannah, Macon, Columbus, and Augusta, are all slowly losing their populations, while Coulmbia County is rapidly growing , and Atlanta and Athens are growing.

Population estimates of largest cities in Georgia based on Census figures:

Atlanta: 2000 - 416,474; 2004 estimate - 419,122

Augusta: 2000 - 195,182; 2004 estimate - 191,326

Columbus: 2000 - 185,781; 2004 estimate - 182,850

Savannah: 2000 - 131,510; 2004 estimate - 129,808

Athens: 2000 - 100,266; 2004 estimate - 102,744

Macon: 2000 - 97,255; 2004 estimate - 94,990

Columbia County Inc.: 2000 - 81,386 (unincorporated area, excluding Harlem and Grovetown); 2004 estimate - 92,500 (unincorporated area)

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

• 1 month later...

Updates on New retail developments in Evans.

Marshall Square

Profile: 57-acre mixed-use project, including luxury condominiums, is expected to be completed by 2007.

Evans Town Park

Location: North Belair Road near Hereford Farm Road intersection

Profile: 60-acre mixed-use development will feature a 60,000-square-foot office building; bulk of construction to begin this summer.

Evans Town Square

Profile: The 23-acre site, currently occupied by Evans Middle School, could be redeveloped as a retail center as soon as late 2006 or early 2007.

Mullins Crossing II:

Location: Just west of the Mullins Crossing shopping center at the intersection of Washington and Owens roads.

Profile: The second phase of the Target- and Kohl's-anchored Mullins Crossing shopping center is expected to be built in the spring.

From the Tuesday, January 17, 2006 printed edition of the Augusta Chronicle http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/01170...s_6261571.shtml

Great! This is the first Ive heard of the Evans Town Square and Evans Town Park projects.

60,000 sq. ft. office building (at ETP) means..what, like 3-4 floors? It would be nice if they went higher! Im figuring this will be a very upscale project so I wonder what restaurants will go in there??

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I liked this quote...

"Surely it's a plus for Columbia County and commercial growth,'' he said Tuesday afternoon.

"But all my question was, 'Is that the direction that we anticipated the Evans Town Center to develop into?' I guess we've got to leave it up to the public to decide.''

NO!! Is he kidding? The area already is ridden with strip malls and big-boxes, albeit with a little more ornamentation than in your average suburban markets. Looks like Evans will be nothing more than a huge sprawling big-box suburb with littlle, hidden pockets of new urbanist type developments, just like any other big city suburb.

"Surely it's a plus for Columbia County and commercial growth,'' he said Tuesday afternoon.

"But all my question was, 'Is that the direction that we anticipated the Evans Town Center to develop into?' I guess we've got to leave it up to the public to decide.''

NO!! Is he kidding? The area already is ridden with strip malls and big-boxes, albeit with a little more ornamentation than in your average suburban markets. Looks like Evans will be nothing more than a huge sprawling big-box suburb with littlle, hidden pockets of new urbanist type developments, just like any other big city suburb.

You're right. They should have built Lowe's closer to the Target shopping center or at least built it somewhere where other stores could build next to it. It's going to create unnecessary trafic and all for just one store that will probably be a stand alone store. At least it's very close to the Publix center though.

From reading the chronicle today, if Columbia county consolidated now it would automatically be the 7th largest city in the state (right under Macon). By 2010, they are predicting that it will be at #5 largest, since Savannah, Macon, Columbus, and Augusta, are all slowly losing their populations, while Coulmbia County is rapidly growing , and Atlanta and Athens are growing.

Population estimates of largest cities in Georgia based on Census figures:

Atlanta: 2000 - 416,474; 2004 estimate - 419,122

Augusta: 2000 - 195,182; 2004 estimate - 191,326

Columbus: 2000 - 185,781; 2004 estimate - 182,850

Savannah: 2000 - 131,510; 2004 estimate - 129,808

Athens: 2000 - 100,266; 2004 estimate - 102,744

Macon: 2000 - 97,255; 2004 estimate - 94,990

Columbia County Inc.: 2000 - 81,386 (unincorporated area, excluding Harlem and Grovetown); 2004 estimate - 92,500 (unincorporated area)

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

I'm not sure that the consolidation is going to go through. Many citizens don't understand the benifits and I really don't see the point personally. I mean you're still going to have parts of the county that won't consolidate and I feel that if the county is going to consolidate, it will only be beneficial if the whole county is involved. Anyway here is an update on the situation.

Full Story

Edited by PJA

I think Columbia County will become an even bigger traffic nightmare in the next couple of years. That's why they should try to cluster businesses together as much as possible.