Evans-Columbia County

DaGABoyStinger

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Is Columbia County at its saturation point when it comes to retial? Apparently it might be coming to that point. From Augusta Chronicle Sunday March, 5, 2006.

the Story (AUG chronicle Members)

Article Exert: "It's a question of supply and demand. In Columbia County, where announcements of new stores are frequent, some say the demand for retail still seems to be greater than the available supply."

IMO, I do think that they are close to a point, especially with so much going on at one time. the population is growing fast, but not as fast as people think, or as fast as other counties in GA like Henry, Forsyth, or Cherokee counties. And it's mainly in Evans and not in other parts of the county. The infrastructure is really going to be an issue if this continues.

But the article is very instresting, and alot of information as far as the economic infrastructure of the WHOLE CSRA. I would post some of it here, but it really is alot of information, I would suggest just reading the article. if you're not a member, sign up it's free.

Also they talked about Col. Co. being a more "conveinant" place to live.

Read more here: Conveinance Article

Article exert: "Judging by recently compiled job-forecast figures, Columbia County residents soon might have a shorter drive to work, the grocery store or the doctor's office.

Such a possibility is likely, officials say, as more retail, health care, manufacturing and wholesaling options become available in the county"

• 2 weeks later...

Columbia County Public Works commissioners are pushing for another I-20 interchange in Columbia County. They are siting increased usage at the Bel-Air Rd , Lewiston Rd , and Appling-Harlem Rd. interchanges. The new interchange would be at Louisville Rd.

Business owners on Furys Ferry Rd. have created a petition to try to force the completion of the construction on that road. This will be the fourth Masters tournament since construction began and many businesses haven't gotten the extra business that they normally would get because of all of the construction. Here's more info.

Full Story

What's really bad is that I believe the same company responsible for the Furys Ferry widening has also been awarded the I-20 project. Also, I believe they are the same company responsible for the Bobby Jones Exp/Mike Padgett Highway interchange project. So I guess the I-20 project should be completed in about 20 years.

LOL...agreed!

Have they even started on the I-20 widening project yet?

Yes they have stared on that and the Walton Way Ext. interchange too. It looks like that project is coming along quickly.

On another note, Col. Co. will be getting a new sports store called Academy Sports & Outdoors. This will be the first location for the chain in Augusta. There are already 80 stores in 10 states. It's going to be a large store and is expected to have a huge impact on the tax collections for the county.

PJA, will this be at Mullins phase 2 or somewhere else?

Ive overheard Dicks will be at Riverwatch but not sure if that is truth or rumor.

I wasn't told exactly where it would be at but I will know more soon. And yes I think that Dicks will be located at Riverwatch. I am anxious to see what other stores will be coming there.

The new Gibbs Library opened yesterday in Columbia County. The library is 51,000 sq. ft. and includes about 150,000 books. It also includes over 60 computers for adults and children, devices that allow patrons to check out books themselves as well as pay for fines and copies themselves. The library will also be adding six plasma t.vs in upcoming weeks. Another great feature is The Footnotes Cafe which serves gourmet coffee, sandwhiches and snacks, a 300 seat performing arts theatre, a memorial garden area, and a 650 seat outdoor amphitheatre.

The new Starbucks just opened in Evans in the Mullins Crossing shopping center. Word has it that eventually Mullins Crossing will have 3 starbucks. The stand alone Starbucks, the one inside Target and the one that will be in the Barnes & Noble Bookstore that is coming to Mullins Crossing soon.

I didnt realize Barnes and Noble will be coming to Mullins Crossing...cool! I suppose they will shut the one down near the Augusta Mall since there will be another one located at the Riverwatch Project. I just cant see 3 Barnes and Nobles in town, along with the popular Borders and Books-a-million. It would be nice if it stayed though, as it would serve the Ft Gordon area and South Augusta. And 3 Starbucks at one developement...Sheesh!! Lets put one Downtown before we start going that crazy out in the burbs!

• 4 weeks later...

Security Federal Bank will be coming to Evans soon. The Aiken based bank has 11 branches so far but none are on the Georgia side of the river. This will be the first branch. So far the closest branch to Georigia is in North Augusta which is probably less than a mile away if you live in downtown Augusta. However many of the banks customers live in Augusta and Evans and this will bring the bank a little bit closer to those customers. They hope to add 5 more to the Augusta area over the next few years. This location will be at Evans to Locks and North Bel Air Roads.

Seems like my girlfriend told me it was going to be a carwash or something. I haven't been out that way in a few weeks.

Well I do know a couple of brothers are supposed to be buidling two or three carwashes this year, and one of them would be on Furys Ferry. I never got the exact location but I'm sure that's probably it.

Downtown Harlem is getting a facelift. The city was awarded a $300,000 enhancement grant from the Department of Transportation and will be spending 60,000 dollars of it's own money for the first phase. For the second phase, the DOT awarded Harlem $700,000. Some of the improvements include sidewalks, street widenings, landscaping, new signs througout the city, trash cans and benches.

Cool, I dont think Ive ever been to Harlem. Is it booming like its neighbor Grovetown?

As far as the carwashes go...Yes, that exactly what that building is, a new carwash. The shape of the building is kind of odd, I guess thats why I wondered.

Has Mullins Crossing phase 2 started yet? What about the Lowes or any other developments in Evans? How far along is Marshall Square?

• 2 weeks later...

Construction has began on phase two of Mullins Crossing. A few stores are about to open I believe. Also I think Harlem is a little bigger than Grovetown as the city limits go. But Grovetown is growing a lot and probably has more population because of it being closer to Augusta and Evans. There are a lot of neighborhoods that are being built outisde of Grovetown (not in the acutal city limits) that are listed as Grovetown addresses but if the government consolidates they would really become part of Columbia County/Evans.