Evans-Columbia County

DaGABoyStinger

The Columbia County Board of Education's new headquarters will open soon. They are relocating from Appling to Evans off of Hereford Farm Road to a new 60,000 sq. foot facility. The move will put all of the departments in one building.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an effort to prevent sprawl ( at least that's how I see it), the commission in Columbia County has elected not to rezone a parcel of land at Washington and Halali Rarm Rds. The land is currently zoned for C-1 which includes convenience stores and that is what the builder is attempted to build. However his plans include a convenience stoar with a drive-thru window which would most likely mean a fast food restaurant would be attatched. Fast food restaurants are reserved for C-2 districts. The commission is afraid that if they zone it C-2 and the convenience store closes, any other business could come in like big box stores etc. They want to keep that stretch of land between Evans Town Center and the Greenbriar area, as undevolped as possible.

hmm... really, still why, though? I mean the area is sprawling over at the Greenbrier Area anyway, do they want to make Greenbriar more exclusive from the rest of Evans? There are already older developments such as the Paint and Body shop along this strip, and some areas along this route are still actually not that nice or "Columbia County-esce". I believe I noticed some trailers, and junks cars the last tme I drove along there, before it gets back to "Evans" again.

IMO, the focus here perhaps should be development to infill the sprawl that has already happened, and continuing!!! Maybe not commercial, but maybe more residential. I personally wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Now the issue could be too, that a drive-thru window on a gas station could become a liquor store, but I'm sure if that was proposed to happen it would be talked about very loud and clear.

I see now that along this same stretch of highway, there is a need for a traffic signal along this road at the intersection of Washinton Rd. and Halali Farm Rd. There have been accidents here because of the increased traffic and low visibility at this intersection. residents here say one is desperately needed. Wait times to turn left here at sometimes 15 minutes. GADOT plans to widen washington Rd. and add a light here when they finishe the project by 2009, so it's still a while.

The new amphitheater will be getting some additions. Restrooms will be added as well as a concession stand. The project will cost about $307,000. The amphitheater is becoming more and more popular with some events having up to 160 people so these additions are needed.

All four lanes of Furys Ferry Rd will open today after being over two years behind schedule. Business is booming as this is one of the fastest growing areas in the metro and tons of businesses have opened or are about to opened on this road.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on the new Evans Town Center. One possible tenant is Home Depot which would be directly across from the new Lowe's. Demolition is set to begin on Evans Middle School this summer or fall with construction beginning in the beginning of 2007. The tenant list should be finalized in a few months.

I was kind of overwhelmed yesterday when driving down Washington Road and Belair Road in Evans yesterday. There is so much dirt being turned its unbelieveable. A huge plot where the Lowes is going in, then right near by another Huge lot where some sort of office complex is going, then about 1/2 mile down the road work is well underway on Evans Town Park...buildings are already going up. I didnt even pass by Mullins Crossing, Im sure there is alot of red clay showing there as well. This area is really going crazy!

Work is about to begin on Blanchard Park. The park which will be about 1 1/2 times the size of Patriots Park will include six soccer fields, a cross country track, a concession area, rest rooms and more. That part of the project will most likely be completed in 2007. Other phases of the project include a BMX track and a water park.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an article talking about the growth of the Greenbrier area in Evans. It's becoming it's own little community.

Projects include a medical complex and the Riverwood Plantation neighborhood (which is still adding homes) would like to include a grocery store and a 25,000 to 40,000 sq. ft. retail village.

Edited by PJA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In Columbia County the residents are campaignin for node overlay districts which are districts where commercial buildings follow a particular architechtural pattern. Here's an aritcle explaining the details (its near the middle of the page). the article

I think this would be wonderful idea in certain parts of town. What does everyone think?

^ Good idea from Columbia County. To me, one of the worst things about Washington Road, Peach Orchard Road, et al, is that everything looks so tacky and cheap. Yeah, you might have a nice BMW dealership, but next door might be a cheap building selling whatever. So I think it's good that Columbia County is being proactive. You can already tell a difference once you cross into CoCounty anyway.....

Columbia Co. will start looking at the idea of building an entertainment arena again as well as other projects. Here's the article.

I personally would rather see a sports and entertainment arena go to downtown Augusta. I know the issue has been discussed on the Augusta commission as well but I guess it will be a first come first served type thing because I don't think the area would need more than two arenas.

Edited by PJA

• 2 months later...

The Columbia County Planning Commission is planning a meeting this evening to discuss approval for 2 New subdivision developments.

1 is a 350 acre mixed use residential/commercial development Northwest of Grovetown on the corner of Baker Place Rd and Chamblin Rd. (Around a proposed High school and Middle school)

The other is a 90 acre expansion of River Island. Both are expected to be debated upon with school overcrowding.

IMO, I think at this point Columbia County needs to plan at least two of each level of schools if they want to start catching up to the growth. By the time they plan for one, two additional ones are already needed. And also with all this westward development along I-20 that is Finally starting to be more apparent, more exits at Chamblin and/or Baker Place also needs to be planned in the Long Range transportation Plan also. Definitely in 20 years or so I see the delvelopment trend heading more this way since Up-the-river land is running low.

Here's the article.

• 2 weeks later...