"Giant" problem with idea of relocating Southeast

flamingomonkey

Like so many people, I have at least idly considered the idea of moving to the sunbelt. Out of all the Southern states, NC would be at the top of my list by a wide margin. Beautiful, diverse state, lots of large and progressive cities, strong economy, etc. Only one little issue.

I have a problem with insects, bordering on a phobia. I know it's common for those in Florida, and probably other deep south states, to have giant roaches running and flying about their homes. Is this an issue in NC? I'm particularly concerned since I would probably buy a condo or townhome if I were to relocate. Even in Chicago, there's a good chance you'll have an occasional roach in a large multi-family building. I made the mistake of once renting an apartment, in a 40 unit building, where there was the odd roach, and I was almost hysterical. :w00t: This is the one issue that would absolutely keep me in the snow belt. If you live in a single family home or small multi-family building (as I do now) and it's clean and well maintained, you will, more than likely, never see any roaches. :unsure:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there are roaches in NC. But I have found that in everyplace that I have ever lived, I've never had a problem with them. I think the key is that you have to keep things clean. There are plenty of other insects here though. I would choose a part of NC where there is routine freezing weather as that does put the whammy on them for several months.

Roaches can definitely be a problem, if you live somewhere that the previous owners/occupants did not take care to prevent their spread and wound up with an infestation.

I have never had an issue with them at all. I lived in my previous apartment for 12 months, and during that time I saw one cockroach. I saw a couple per year when I was living in the dorms at NC State University, but those buildings were, by and large, s***holes. Regardless, it's not a daily occurance.

If you dislike ants, though, you may want to look elsewhere. From mid to late spring, ants are everywhere. They're smart little buggers, and once one gets in then the entire nest follows. Personally, I don't mind ants at all - they don't bite, they're small, harmless, and actually somewhat entertaining to watch.

i moved into a house my dad owned in greensboro after a bunch of guys who did NOT keep the place clean moved out. the house had a bad roach problem. they were everywhere and they were NOT affraid of the lights.

after a month of using roach traps and some spray, i didn't see any more roaches. if you really want to be sure you're rid of all kinds of insects, it's definitely worth it to go the extra mile and get an exterminator to spray the premesis.

also, i hate to tell you this, but if you see one roach, you can be sure that there is a whole group of them living in the house.

as long as you get any problems under control when you move in and then keep the place clean, you should be fine.

If bugs are a deal breaker, then NC is probably not the place for you, especially south of I-40. There is a reason Charlotte was nicknamed "hornet's nest." Roaches are not much of a problem. Ants and spiders are the worst, especially fire ants and wolf spiders. Both of those suckers have a nasty bite. :wacko: I never put my shoes on without first shaking them out. (Learned that the hard way.) I've also heard stories about praying mantises attaching themselves to the skin with their claws and you cannot get them off.

If bugs are a deal breaker, then NC is probably not the place for you, especially south of I-40. There is a reason Charlotte was nicknamed "hornet's nest." Roaches are not much of a problem. Ants and spiders are the worst, especially fire ants and wolf spiders. Both of those suckers have a nasty bite.  :wacko:  I never put my shoes on without first shaking them out. (Learned that the hard way.) I've also heard stories about praying mantises attaching themselves to the skin with their claws and you cannot get them off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i had a praying mantis climb onto my hand once and it really freaked me out because they do have an INSANE grip! they hold on so tight with their little pinchers that it actually hurts a little.

also, i hate to tell you this, but if you see one roach, you can be sure that there is a whole group of them living in the house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. That's why I'm particularly hysterical when it comes to roaches. I've learned to deal with the odd spider or silverfish. But if I see a roach, the thought of hunderds more in my walls... :w00t::wacko::cry::unsure::blink: It's just too much to contemplate.

Ticks and Mosquitos are the biggest irritants here. They tend not to move inside with you, and in the parts that get a decent winter they aren't very prevalent.

If you're camping anywhere in the summer, you will get mosquito bites. It can be 5 or 50 depending on how much deet you wear. For ticks, just check yourself and avoid tall grass. I got a couple from my dog and it was not fun to say the least.

I agree, the biggest problem you'll face here is the mosquitos; if they don't bother you that much (in terms of phobia) I'd say don't worry about it. You'll see an occasional roach wherever you live but if you keep your home clean you won't have to worry that much.

In the urban areas in NC you won't face this problem, but if you head out into the country you will encounter all kinds of creepy crawlers, huge horseflies, dragonflies, millipedes, yadda yadda. It's just part of a rural setting.

Archived