146 / Sayles Hill Road Traffic Signal

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Woonsocket Call, (here)the state is planning studies to ease congestion at the only traffic signal on 146 in RI. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas or comments about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Something needs to be done there. That intersection is the source of many accidents on 146

People running the light and from traffic from the drive-in theatre (possible the last in RI)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm usually the last person in the world to suggest this, but if the big problem is people running the light, how about a red light ticketing camera? That tends to stop that practice fairly quickly...

- Garris

I'm usually the last person in the world to suggest this, but if the big problem is people running the light, how about a red light ticketing camera?  That tends to stop that practice fairly quickly...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be mistaken, but I believe this logical solution was just essentially outlawed by our ever intelligent legislature...a bill to allow this in the state was just defeated.

I may be mistaken, but I believe this logical solution was just essentially outlawed by our ever intelligent legislature...a bill to allow this in the state was just defeated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm usually against them myself... When Minnesota installed them in some parts of the Twin Cities, they actually had an increase in accidents (rear enders) due to people slamming on their brakes when they approached yellow lights so they wouldn't go through and get ticketed (yellow lights in MN are much shorter/faster than here).

Beyond being great at generating revenue, no one has ever proved they are safer, although it sounds like that intersection might have been a decent place to try one.

- Garris

There are red light cameras up and down North Main Street, correct?

I fished around and couldn't find anything to do with the 146 intersection. Although it was just repaved and striped and new guardrails were installed there.

Heres my idea: Make route 99 into 146 and reconnect it with 146 after 146A breaks off into Woonsocket. Leave the non-limited access section of 146 as is, only call it 146A.

146.jpg

There are red light cameras up and down North Main Street, correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think those are cameras to catch red light runners, I think those are speed sensitive sensors to improve traffic flow at a controlled speed. If traffic is moving too fast, the light automatically goes red to slow it down.

Again, I know little detail about it, but I heard it mentioned at a recent meeting with RIDOT.

As far as the camera's, they are in use in Boston and pretty successful I believe. I can say that in my experience, Providence has by FAR the worst drivers in the country, and the light running is apparantly a requisite of driving here. It is CONSTANT.

Heres my idea: Make route 99 into 146 and reconnect it with 146 after 146A breaks off into Woonsocket.  Leave the non-limited access section of 146 as is, only call it 146A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it, though there appears to be a powerline right of way closer to the present Route 146 that is closer to currently developed areas, and would have less impact on (what appears to be) open space. It's also slightly less circuitous.

146.jpg

Blue Line

I don't think those are cameras to catch red light runners

I think those are detectors for emergency vehicles (ambulance, fire, etc), to turn their lights green and everyone else's red when they cruise through... At least, they look like the ones that were for that purposed in Minnesota. Minnesota actually had a little problem with some members of the laypublic buying triggers for them to give themselves perpetual green lights...

Providence has by FAR the worst drivers in the country, and the light running is apparantly a requisite of driving here. It is CONSTANT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While Providence doesn't have the worst drivers I've ever seen (some areas of the Midwest are worse in different ways, and I still think Boston is horrendous), I will agree that I've seen the most red light running in Providence than anywhere else I've ever lived by far...

- Garris

Ahh, didn't see that power line, good call. That exit that currently exists on 99 would be pointless anyway, since you can just take a right at the light onto sayles hill road from 146 anyway (or 146A on my map).

And yes, red light running in Providence is horrendous. It's part of everyday traffic now, when your light turns green, you have to first let everyone whos running the light through, then you can go, and by the time you get up to the light, you run it, delaying the next people in another direction, and the cycle goes on and on. I've driven NYC, Albany, Boston, all through Connecticut, Philly, DC, and I've never seen drivers as bad as in Providence.

I'm usually the last person in the world to suggest this, but if the big problem is people running the light, how about a red light ticketing camera?  That tends to stop that practice fairly quickly...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the problem isnt people running red lights. it the fact that its a limited access highway that has seen a massive increase in traffic in the last decade, hence the improvement made to the lights turning lanes, and traffic flow. Yet there are still back ups and people use the old narrow local residental roads the bybass the artery. Thats dangerous and the people living there dont like it. The fact that busineses are along this section of the route also cause many sudden enterences and exits by motorists, is another factor. Plus the fact that it stops traffic going between 55 and 75 miles an hour is perhaps the biggest problem at least in my mind, it takes more time to get where you need to go.

here is my two cents about where the highway should go. Rather than follow 99. i suggest a more direct route to the west. This route provides access to the current 146 from both north and south by using the fromer 146 alighment and interchange with 146A (with a new on ramp to offer easier and safer access to North 146 from the current 146A South) and by constuction of fly under 146A (the current 146) just after the SR-99 fly over. it offers less disruption to traffic and buildings an utilizes many elements of the current 146. The only drawbacks are mininmal; move the dunkin' donunts and cox communications offices, and would require the closing of the current old sayles hill road access and connecting it to other roads.

146a.JPG

Archived