Empty Field west of Downtown

OneSweetWorld

Hey everyone. I just was wondering about that empty grass field along west I-196 between lake mich drive and chicago drive (??). It really takes away from the breathtaking view of DT.

-Does anyone know who owns that

-Is anything there right now

-Is anyone planning on developing it? If so, when, and what?

Thank you, that is all.

By the way, I'm new here to urbanplanet. I live in Comstock Park (north of GR from those of you who don't live here). I am very excited about taking part in these conversations. Thanks!! :) !

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone. I just was wondering about that empty grass field along west I-196 between lake mich drive and chicago drive (??). It really takes away from the breathtaking view of DT.

-Does anyone know who owns that

-Is anything there right now

-Is anyone planning on developing it? If so, when, and what?

Thank you, that is all.

By the way, I'm new here to urbanplanet. I live in Comstock Park (north of GR from those of you who don't live here). I am very excited about taking part in these conversations. Thanks!! :) !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome grand raggidy! (Nice username, BTW :P ). That field is the old Butterworth landfill. It used to be a lot worse, but has been capped and grass planted on it. From what I understand, it cannot be built on. It is owned by the city, and they have talked about developing a park with ballfields, etc., but I have not heard much about it in awhile.

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/recy...butterworth.pdf.

There was this in the Press lately:

Wheels in motion for a local course

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

By Steve Kaminski

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Olympics in Beijing will introduce BMX racing when the summer games roll around in three years...

..That is the reason he leads Helmets On, a nonprofit organization consisting of parents hoping to build a BMX course in Grand Rapids. Helmets On is eyeing the Butterworth Dump Site, just south of John Ball Park Zoo.

Some kind of park there would be nice, but BMX tracks tend to look raggidy :P

Welcome grand raggidy!  (Nice username, BTW :P ).  That field is the old Butterworth landfill.  It used to be a lot worse, but has been capped and grass planted on it.  From what I understand, it cannot be built on.  It is owned by the city, and they have talked about developing a park with ballfields, etc., but I have not heard much about it in awhile.

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/recy...butterworth.pdf.

There was this in the Press lately:

Wheels in motion for a local course

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

By Steve Kaminski

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Olympics in Beijing will introduce BMX racing when the summer games roll around in three years.

Tim Irwin would agree that if you are a Grand Rapids youth hoping to try the sport, China might as well be the closest place to race.

Irwin, a parent who enjoyed riding while growing up on the city's Northeast Side, noted riders must travel to Ionia or Lansing to find such a track.

That is the reason he leads Helmets On, a nonprofit organization consisting of parents hoping to build a BMX course in Grand Rapids. Helmets On is eyeing the Butterworth Dump Site, just south of John Ball Park Zoo.

The group is discussing the possibility of leasing the land from the city of Grand Rapids with city officials.

Some kind of park there would be nice, but BMX tracks tend to look raggidy :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Myself not being removed too far from that generation, think that would be a great idea. I know of lots of people who are not all that interested in traveling almost an hour to ride their racing bikes :P It would help to diversify the area. Now if only they had a skate park too.

I think a park or some other recreational use would be perfect at that spot. It should be used for something, though, considering its priximity to the city. Its big enough for both a bmx track to be part of a larger park, isn't it?

I think a park or some other recreational use would be perfect at that spot.  It should be used for something, though, considering its priximity to the city.  Its big enough for both a bmx track to be part of a larger park, isn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is a large site. Other suggestions over the years have been for a race track, an outdoor amplitheater, or a sports park with archery range, rowing, biking, etc...

The only problem I see is it still kind of stinks. I don't know how many people would want to use it for recreation when it smells like garbage seeping out of it. I Drove by it tonight at about 11PM and got that distinct "dump" smell. I think it would be nice to do something like the Meijer Gardens is doing and build a natural prairie with some walking trails. Don't disturb it, keep it open, just pretty it up a little (and I know trees are not an option because they would poke into the clay cap).

With the cities budget crisis, they should just let it go au naturale (with a little help).

Joe

Yes, it is a large site.  Other suggestions over the years have been for a race track, an outdoor amplitheater, or a sports park with archery range, rowing, biking, etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there anyway they can move all the trash to another site-maybe a little further from the city? I dunno..I am really interested in making GR a bigger city, and helping it grow, and evertime I drive by that field it just irks me to see it. It makes our city seem not so big when theres a vacant field less than 10 miles from our downtown.

You can't even build a bathroom on top of a clay capped dump site. Besides, there are all kinds of areas that development could expand into, like the St Mary's area, completely fill Monroe North with development, the West bank of the river near the 6th Street bridge all the way North to Leonard, South of GVSU, South of the arena, .... :D

Especially the area West of the river near 6th. Manufacturers and distributors need horizontal space (plenty of suburban industrial space to fill), whereas residential in the city is much better suited for vertical construction. Why would we continue to encourage industrial uses in the city. Why not make it advantageous for these businesses to move to the burbs (or outer areas near Rapistan), and free up precious space downtown?

You can't even build a bathroom on top of a clay capped dump site.  Besides, there are all kinds of areas that development could expand into, like the St Mary's area, completely fill Monroe North with development, the West bank of the river near the 6th Street bridge all the way North to Leonard, South of GVSU, South of the arena, .... :D

Especially the area West of the river near 6th.  Manufacturers and distributors need horizontal space (plenty of suburban industrial space to fill), whereas residential in the city is much better suited for vertical construction.  Why would we continue to encourage industrial uses in the city.  Why not make it advantageous for these businesses to move to the burbs (or outer areas near Rapistan), and free up precious space downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GRDAD, do you have any pix of this area? I can't seem to place it.

GRDAD, do you have any pix of this area? I can't seem to place it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but you can click here:

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/recy...butterworth.pdf

2nd page.

Edit: Rats, we shut down a link AGAIN. How many people are surfing around here.

I'll see if I can find a cache of it.

Try here (page 2).

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/recy...butterworth.pdf

This is a satellite photo. It sits right behind the giant Coca Cola bottling facility on Butterworth Drive.

Archived