Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

There are interesting new developments in Jackson, Mississippi. The Watkins Partners are working with Historic Restoration Inc. of New Orleans to restore the King Edward (Edwards) Hotel as a mixed-use development. Their plans for the city are extensive and ambitious. Full details are available at the website, but must be downloaded....I had rather hoped to see the King Edward restored as a hotel, but anything is better than the wrecking ball at this point.

http://www.watkinspartners.com/Development.htm

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are interesting new developments in Jackson, Mississippi.  The Watkins Partners are working with Historic Restoration Inc. of New Orleans to restore the King Edward (Edwards) Hotel as a mixed-use development.  Their plans for the city are extensive and ambitious.  Full details are available at the website, but must be downloaded....I had rather hoped to see the King Edward restored as a hotel, but anything is better than the wrecking ball at this point. 

http://www.watkinspartners.com/Development.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw something about that when I was up in Jackson for the Black & Gold Scrimmage.

It looks like a very nice building.

Thanks for posting tombarnes, Its nice to hear about development in Jackson.

Wow I read read a Clarion-Ledger article (via the link provided on the site listed above) on it and it sounds like it will be quite a task. Taking out the entire interior and leaving only the outer shell, then rebuilding the inside floors - if they deem it even feasible. Lets hope it can be saved. Its a pretty great old structure IMO.

Check out the Clarion-Ledger for the article from Oct. 20, 2004 and at great stock shot of the building they have.

Here are some pics of the King Edward Hotel that I have:

A decent shot of the building.

JacksonMs0049-vi.jpg

Better look at the sign.

JacksonMs0052-vi.jpg

As far as the interior demolition goes, I think the plan is to demolish most of the interior and rebuild the interior anew, possibly with the lobby and mezzanine floors being historically accurate. Sadly, there's very little left of the original marble, stained glass ceilings or ironwork. The hotel has been vacant since 1967. Mr. Watkins and Deuce McAllister are to be congratulated for investing in a downtown many had forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Its quite lively during the day though. I was impressed by how clean, maintained, and managed downtown was. Folks there were extremely friendly too. I liked Jackson, Ms, and I really figured I might not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found Jackson to be quite a charming, emerging Southern city when I was there a few years ago. They must be doing something right down there; the Partners for Livable Communities named the city one of the most livable mid-sized cities in the nation.

I think Jackson is a great city...I have issues with the interstate system in Jackson. It is lagging, IMO. Traffic and accidents are ridiculous. The interstates are narrow, turny, and outdated. I have family in Jackson and always stay at the Hilton Hotel on County Line Road when I visit...nice area. Jackson city limits is showing signs of urban issues and needs to address these issues. Population in the city is decreasing and it needs to get addressed before it gets like New Orleans. We are having alot of ground and issues to make up from the past 30 years. It's a hard and expensive job for people that live in New Orleans now...The outskirts of Jackson are experiencing the most positive economic developments.

The Kohn Pedersen Fox one was to have been the MCCA Tower.  I kept a rendering of it on my studio wall at LSU.  Actually, that one dated to about 1986 or 1987.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why did the whole thing fall apart ? Not one of the several highrises announced at that time went up.

• 1 month later...

This doesn't even sound like the Jackson, MS i knew growing up...and that's a good thing! :P

Yea, Jackson really seems to be turning into a popular city for new mid-rise buildings. I think in a few years, the downtown area will be nicer, more active, larger, and very busy with construction for new mid-rise or high-rise buildings.

Edited by NCB

• 2 weeks later...

I'll agree that Jackson has tons of potential in the downtown area. Jackson to me has some of the nicest roads (in terms of linkage). I understand many of them could use a little resurfacing due to cracking and what not.

Jackson is where my father's side of the family lives. They still live in the same home he was raised in, on Harry S. Truman in Presidential Hills. Ahh, the summers spent in Jackson. Me and my grandfather cut grass all over the city in the summers.

I remember feeling like Jackson was such a divided city because of the fact that I never saw blacks and whites interacting with one another the way they did back home (in Tallahassee). But I grew to understand, that wasn't a problem unique to Jackson (My mother is from Hattiesburg, similar experiences).

But to Jackson, I say way to go! With a State Capitol and a Nissan Plant just north of the city, Jackson is poised to become a serious competitor in these next few years!

Comparable in size at least. Although I wonder if Little Rock's metro might be bigger than Jackson's. Thanks for the pic. I think Little Rock has a better skyline, but I think Little Rock has a really nice one for a city it's size. I sometimes wonder if people in Little Rock realize that their city has such a nice skyline for a city it's size.

Comparable in size at least. Although I wonder if Little Rock's metro might be bigger than Jackson's. Thanks for the pic. I think Little Rock has a better skyline, but I think Little Rock has a really nice one for a city it's size. I sometimes wonder if people in Little Rock realize that their city has such a nice skyline for a city it's size.

Little Rock CSA- 798,792

Jackson CSA- 545,486

I agree with you Mith, for a city of it's size, Little Rock has a great skyline.