Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

Jackson Leaders Visit Richmond

Citry leaders from Jackson are on another fact-finding trip to Richmond to gather ideas about rejuventaing the city. Cooperation with the surrounding cities of Madison, Ridgeland and others is the key to successful growth. Form the Clarion-Ledger.

Edited by tombarnes

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westbrooke House at Mynelle Gardens

The restoration of the 1921 neo-classical Westbrooke House is nearly complete. The centerpiece of a large complex of botanical gardens, the house was donated by the family to the City of Jackson and has been used for receptions and other events. Since 1992, however, it's been dark, with a long, slow, restoration process. I hope the fenestration on the arched windows of the sun oporch will be restored, but I think thay have finished the exterior. Oh well....From the Clarion Ledger

• 2 weeks later...

Old Capitol Green Project

'This proposal would renovate six square blocks of downtown Jackson. A couple of blocks are already owned by the Entergy Corp.. This depends, however, upon the state legislature. The proposal indicates a small hotel of about 100 rooms, restaurants, offices and apratments. This looks like the kind of mixed-use development Jackson so desperately needs. Stay tuned for more.

Article from the Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

Head of JRA Resigns

The resignation of Willie Mott, the director of the Jackson Redevelopent Authority, may not bode well for the future of the King Edward. It is likely that Mr. Melton will try to replace him with someone more attuned to the mayor's demolition programs. I am wary of what this may mean for downtown Jackson.

Edited by tombarnes

Updated King Edward Plan on Watkins Partners' Website

The plan for the King Edward has now been updated to reflect the hotel room component. Most of the illustrations remain the same from the earlier PDF, though the inclusion of the Jackson State University School of Urban Planning in the former parking garage is a notable new development!

Sorry the link's not hidden....too busy tonight.

From the Watkins Partners website...

http://www.watkinspartners.com/King%20Edwa...files/frame.htm

Old Capitol Green Project

'This proposal would renovate six square blocks of downtown Jackson. A couple of blocks are already owned by the Entergy Corp.. This depends, however, upon the state legislature. The proposal indicates a small hotel of about 100 rooms, restaurants, offices and apratments. This looks like the kind of mixed-use development Jackson so desperately needs. Stay tuned for more.

Skyscrapers and large hotels certainly have their place in urban environments, but this is the kind of development that I like to see. While reading this thread I kept thinking- "surely there msut be something else going on in Jackson besides the King Edward Hotel project..... I really hope that the legislature in Mississippi has the wisdom to see that this project would be beneficial to their capital city.

Are there any other projects of this nature going on in Jackson?

Viaduct Beinbg Converted Into Farmers' Market

The viaduct adjacent to the King Edward is being converted into a farmers' market and will be finished by May This should help the area recover more quickly. As noted in the article in the Clarion Ledger, the King Edward project will not likely start before May, but it is going forward.

Edited by tombarnes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the Most Positive Articles I Have Seen Lately

Here's an article about downtown Jackson which suggests that the realities of the market in downtown Jackson may be changing. I had no idea that the vacancy rate in the downtown office market was less than 5%. Look for more projects to be announced soon.

Clarion Ledger

actually, the area is due south of the old capitol building. Commerce st. runs north/south between S. State st. and Jefferson st. The area is largely an old commercial, light industrial, warehouse area that grew up along the long ago abandoned G,M, & O railroad line.

Also, South state street was long ago the car dealership area of Jackson and is lined with old dealership buildings that had the show room end on State St. and the service end of the buildings on Commerce. Very few of the buildings in the area are of any architectural interest, but all be refurbished and renovated to make a really nice area. One of the old car dealership buildings has already been done, with commercial and offices on the state street end and clubs and bars on the commerce street end. Done right, and it appears they want to do it right, this can be fantastic.

I would like to see some good developement on Jefferson street behind (east) of the old capital and west of the fairgrounds, particularly the old abandoned Naval reserve building which is was built to look like the structure(?) of a battleship. this could be a very cool building, in the right hands.

I'm very excited about what's on the immediate horizon for downtown Jackson. Lot's of things happening.

More on Fondren Place

This is a great example of the sort of developemtn which is beginning to catch on in downtown Jackson. Fondren is an established residential area full of quirky restaurants and the kind of urban environment needed to foster more growth. Here's the website...

Fondren Place

Good to see all the intresting things happening in Jackson.

I am suprised to hear the Memorial Stadium may be demolished ?

That's another hot topic right now in Jackson. I thought the old stadium bad been renovated not too long ago. Seems wasteful, but I don't know all the specific details of the old stadium. I'll post something here when I find it.