Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

Old Library Sold to Ted Duckworth

Reports are out that local developer Ted Duckworth has purchased the old library on North State Street for $383,000. Duckworth is the developer who put apartments into the Electric Building. It is not yet clear what Duckworth intends to do with the building, but it will likely house offices- possibly for the Ramey Agency. Just more good news for downtown Jackson. THings are finally beginning to fall into place for a downtown rebirth.

Clarion Ledger

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, ironically, just a week or so ago as my wife and I drove past the old library, I commented that I wished someone could find a use for the old building. Obviously, Mr. Duckworth was way ahead of me. I'll get by there soon and take a couple of pictures of the place to post. The building is certainly nothing special achitecturally - a basic 50's utilitarian government structure. Hopefully, he has a good designer on board to do something special with it.

Edited by spoody

• 3 weeks later...

That's very exciting news about the BellSouth building. As for the stadium, I can't help thinking that it's a bad idea. Why build another small venue when the outdated Mississippi Coliseum could be demolished and a better building put in its place. Two small arenas aren't going to help Jackson attract major events. As for the Mississippi Coliseum, the roof is mildly interesting, but I think there's not much there from an architectural standpoint.

Council Votes in Favor of Stadium

The City Council voted in favor of building a new stadium to replace Smith Wills Stadium today. I would prefer a more central site, as well as its integration with the Coliseum. I don't see this as something which will draw larger crowds to Jackson. A larger venue is needed. Plus, the new building is ugly.

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

Yeah, the rendering looks rather boring--but then, you could say that about a lot of American arenas.

I didn't know the MS Coliseum was 43 years old--that is SEVERELY outdated if Jackson hopes to draw some bigger events needing the space that a Coliseum provides, since the new arena might not be as big for such.

• 2 weeks later...

Council Votes in Favor of Stadium

The City Council voted in favor of building a new stadium to replace Smith Wills Stadium today. I would prefer a more central site, as well as its integration with the Coliseum. I don't see this as something which will draw larger crowds to Jackson. A larger venue is needed. Plus, the new building is ugly.

The Clarion Ledger

I'm certainly not sold on the large, white roof. Maybe they could take an example from Bossier's CenturyTel Center? The one thing I love about that building is that it's built to where a domed roof is unnecessary but it still seats around 15,000 and has plenty of height. I also believe this method of roof construction ended up being cheaper than the domed roof they were originally considering (it was ugly as well.)

It's funny how Frank Melton is ready to give this developer $7m while he whines about a $2m loan to the developers of the King Edward. This project may go forward, but I think it's a bad one. Jackson should hold out for a better stadium in a better location.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Mr. Melton's downtown arena...Global Entertainment wants to build a 6000-6500 seat arena downtown. This seems rather small, but if it could be attached to the convention center project, it might make more sense. Now, if plans go forward, the Jackson area will have one outdated Coliseum and two small arenas- one in Pearl and one downtown. I would hope that a petter project could be built. Let's see what the renderings look like.....

The Sun Herald

That would seem to be a bit on the duplicative side, don't you think? A 9K-12K arena in Pearl for the arena football team, and one downtown for hockey seating 6K? Disotell is doing the city a major disservice. If both have to be built, I'd rather see the smaller one go to Pearl. But if the 6K-capacity arena is built downtown, I hope it is at least in close proximity (easy walking distance) to the convention center. After all, it would show that Jackson is truly building a convention district instead of just a simple convention center.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jackson's downtown recently received the very bad news that two large professional firms would be leaving downtown for a new development in Madison. While I don't think this is, by any means, a death knell for downtown Jackson, the news isn't good. Madison developers and supporters gathered this evening at the Jackson Hilton to celebrate their good fortune.

WLBT Channel 3 News

One piece of good news in the clip concerns the long delayed Harbor Walk. If the developer is to be believed, an announcement will soon be forthcoming regarding its construction.

• 2 weeks later...

^Gosh, not good at all. In order for downtown to compete with the suburbs, you have to create a friendly, vibrant, urban environment that can't be matched on sprawling suburban corporate campuses.

There are said to be several major new downtown projects which will begin "soon", including office towers, a convention hotel and a large medical complex. I know the last one is coming and the other two are fairly certain. Exactly when the details are going to be released is anyone's guess. The Mayor claims that it will be soon. I hope this won't have to be taken with a grain of salt.

• 1 month later...

Old Capitol Green Developer to be Announced This Week

The developer of the Old Capitol Green project will be announced this week. The city is thought to have chosen a group called Full Spectrum Inc. from New York. The project will include offices, shops, theaters (stage and movie), a recording studio, 300-500 condominium units and a 160 room Embassy Suites Hotel. This will not be in conflict with the King Edward or the Farish Street projects. An announcement should be made this week.

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

• 2 weeks later...

Two Jackson Place

Two Jackson Place is on track with several new tenants announcing /plans to move into the new addition to One Jackson Place downtown. This should more than compensate for the loss of two large firms which will decamp for the suburbs. Bring on the renaissance!

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

More Positive Developments in Jackson

This article from, the Jackson Free Press has a good look at a few of the projects on the boards for downtown Jackson. In spite of what many suburban naysayers are saying, downtown Jackson appears to have a good future.

The Jackson Free Press

I don't understand why Jackson couldn't do what Little Rock has done, the cities are comparable in so many ways. I think a lot of it is just the suburban mindset. It will take time to get people to come around but it can happen. The most important thing to do is to make people feel safe and try to cluster the early projects together in a small area so that are forms the nidus of an entertainment district.

I was disappointed to see the new baseball park is in Pearl instead of downtown. That was an opportunity for downtown Jackson.

The official announcement for Two Jackson Place should be made on the 16th of this month. The name, by the way, won't be Two Jackson Place. The $50m building will be eight stories and will include condos and shops in addition to office space.

WLBT News

Edited by tombarnes