Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

Neu Markt Outlet Mall Proposed for Gluckstadt- Area to be Annexed by Canton

The developers of the proposed Neu Markt outlet mall in Gluckstadt intend to build a $180m project. The names of the stores have yet to be announced. Financing for the project is contingent upon Madison County reimbursing the developers for road improvements. The project will face several hurdles before it goes forward. The project is similar to ones in Destin and Orlando. From the renderings in the video, it looks rather like a stage set. I'd rather see something sleek and modern. Why must an outlet mall try to look like Piazza San Marco anyway?

WAPT Chanel 16 News

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Outlets- This Time in Pearl

Formerly sleepy Pearl is getting a big boost with the expected announcement of a large outlet mall near the Trustmark Park and Bass Pro store. I expect that this will deliver even more development in its wake. If only this sort of energy were expended in downtown Jackson.

The Clarion Ledger

Car Dealership to Move Out of Downtown- More Land Open for Development?

While the news that yet another business is moving away from downtown Jackson might be greeted with alarm, this should be good news for the city, opeing a significant parcel of land for something better. I hope the land will be used for residential development. Take the opportunity and run with it!

The Clarion Ledger

Car Dealership to Move Out of Downtown- More Land Open for Development?

While the news that yet another business is moving away from downtown Jackson might be greeted with alarm, this should be good news for the city, opeing a significant parcel of land for something better. I hope the land will be used for residential development. Take the opportunity and run with it!

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by austin356

• 5 weeks later...

What's going on with Jackson's retail scene? I remember on my visits each summer to Mississippi that MetroCenter was where all the action is, but it seems so run down now, it's sad. Is all the action now at North Park ( I think that is the name).

Edited by kennethdisraili

There is more action at NorthPark, though an attempt is being made to revive MetroCenter with a Burlington Coat Factory store. The greatest influx of new stores/malls appears to be in places like Madison and Pearl. THe downtown core may see a resurgence of retail, but this is still some distance away. The new projects under construction and planned for downtown Jackson may paave the way for a brighter retail scene there. The Old Capitol Green project has just seen the first new store open. There will be limited retail in the new Pinnacle at Jackson Place and also in the restored King Edward Hotel.

Three Proposals for the Standard Life Building

The Jackson Redevelopment Authority will review three proposals for the Standard Life Building, one of three Art Deco high-rise towers in the state. It is likely that all of the proposals will include a mix of retail and apartments. The HRI/Watkins group and MJS Realty of Dallas are among the entrants. More details to follow....

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes

Let it stand for the record that I think the City would do well to choose the proposal from HRI/David Watkins. The Gene Phillips/TCI Realty group might not be such a great choice for many reasons. Phillips, however, appears to be the preferred choice of Mr. Melton. I wonder why? Let's just wait and see how this unfolds.

There is more action at NorthPark, though an attempt is being made to revive MetroCenter with a Burlington Coat Factory store. The greatest influx of new stores/malls appears to be in places like Madison and Pearl. THe downtown core may see a resurgence of retail, but this is still some distance away. The new projects under construction and planned for downtown Jackson may paave the way for a brighter retail scene there. The Old Capitol Green project has just seen the first new store open. There will be limited retail in the new Pinnacle at Jackson Place and also in the restored King Edward Hotel.

That sounds wonderful Tom, I think the capital city should have strong retail to reflect it's presence as the largest metropolis in Mississippi. I also wish Jackson could get some high-rise condo towers and maybe a 40-story signature office tower. People living downtown would be such a boost for Jackson.

Edited by kennethdisraili

Pinnacle at Jackson Place- Construction Begins

Construction has begun on the eight storied office building called the Pinnacle at Jackson Place. This development will help to fill a major void on Capitol Street and should serve to improve the look of the downtown area considerably. When complete, the project should have shops as well as a residential component.

The Clarion Ledger

Arts District Beginning to Florish Near Eudora Welty's Birthplace

The addition of a bookstore, coffee house and a guest house for visiting writers is transforming the area around Eudora Welty's first house on Congress Street. The house itself is in good repair, but is now used for offices. This development should tie into the other apsects of downtown revitalization occurring now.

The Clarion Ledger

The Clarion Ledger Celebrates Sprawl Yet Again

The Clarion-Ledger is once again celebrating sprawl, this time in Ridgeland. While suburban developments are inevitable, even positive in many cases, they are detrimental to the renaissance of the core of the downtown area. The CL doesn't seem to get this essential truth. Their pages are filled with incessant trumpeting of sprawling developments in the suburbs. It's an odd position for the paper to take. A healthy downtown Jackson would benefit the entire region. The renaissance is taking place, but largely without the help of one of the state's journalistic institutions.

The Clarion-Ledger

More on the Standard Life Building

Another article about the proposed conversion of the Standard Life (Tower) Building into condominium/residential use. This project should have a favorable impact on the area surrounding it. The King Edward and the new convention center are nearby.

The Northside Sun

Another article about the proposed conversion of the Standard Life (Tower) Building into condominium/residential use. This project should have a favorable impact on the area surrounding it. The King Edward and the new convention center are nearby.
Edited by ExpatBaman

More on the Standard Life Building

The Northside Sun

Exactly! Downtowns all over the country have been waking up over the past decade or two. It's good that Mississippi is participating in this nationwide trend. However painful it may have been to get to this point, I think that Jackson has arrived at an important juncture in its history. Cities need to make use of their existing building stock in addition to new development. I think Jackson has many resources in this regard.

Thanks for the updates Tom :thumbsup: It's ashame the local newspaper does not give more props to the rebirth of downtown Jackson. I am pulling for the "Crossroads of the South"! Impressive that the Standard Life Building is 18-stories and only 85,000sq.ft'. This should compliment the adjacent projects nicely!

Cool to see Deuce McAllister's name in the article as an investor too.

I am glad the N.O. Saints had training camp in Jackson. And it continues; It's good for the city and the region. :good:

Edited by richyb83

Andres Duany and DPZ held a charrette in downtown Jackson a few months ago. I think there is a possibility that they may do more work in Jackson. They have done work in the suburbs- the Lost Rabbit development near Madison, for example. I think that Duany and DPZ could do wonders for the city if they were invited to do so. I'm not sure Melton and Co. would allow them in.

Mike Peters Moves Ahead With Duling School Project in Fondren

Ok, here's a positive article from the Clarion-Ledger about the developments in the Fondren area (upper State Street). The Duling School project is moving forward with most of its retail spaces already rented . The Fondren area is really coming to life. An audio clip attached to the article has an interview with Peters, who also developed the Plaza building downtown. Peters mentions the Belhaven area as having a lot of possibility for retail growth.

The Clarion Ledger

Mike Peters Moves Ahead With Duling School Project in Fondren

Ok, here's a positive article from the Clarion-Ledger about the developments in the Fondren area (upper State Street). The Duling School project is moving forward with most of its retail spaces already rented . The Fondren area is really coming to life. An audio clip attached to the article has an interview with Peters, who also developed the Plaza building downtown. Peters mentions the Belhaven area as having a lot of possibility for retail growth.

The Clarion Ledger

Pinnacle Construction Begins Friday- Ninth Floor Added

The Pinnacle at Jackson Place will be nine floors instead of eight. Construction begins this Friday. A developer for the residential component should be chosen soon. The article also marks the first official reference I have seen to a Hilton branded boutique property in the King Edward. This is in line with what Mr. Watkins has mentioned in the past. All in all, things are shaping up fpr Jackson.

The Clarion Ledger

With the mayor we have now, im surprised anyone wants to do business with the city of Jackson. None the less, I was very happy and exicted when I read this in the paper. Three years from now downtown Jackson will look awsome!!!

Mississippi Museum of Art Opens New Building Downtown

The Mississippi Museum of Art opens its new building downtown on June 9th. The building is actually a radical renovation of an older building on the site, but the dramatic treatment is essentially new. Glass pavilions and gardens give the musweum an airy feel. The museum is also quite forward-thinking in the way it engages visitors. I plan to visit the museum when I visit Jackson later this summer.

The Jackson Free Press

The Clarion Ledger

Edited by tombarnes