Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melton Appoints Head of Planning Department

Fianaly, Mr. Melton has appointed someone to be in charge of the Planning and Development Department for the city. Ester (sp?) Ainsworth has worked in the office under at least two previous administrations. I have no idea whether or not she will be a strong leader. or whether Jimmy Heidel will quietly continue to run the department.

The Clarion Ledger

North State Street- Construction and Improvements Are On the Way

North State Street is slowly coming out of its slumber. Various projects are planned or under construction, including a six story expansion of the Baptist Hospital. This stretch of State Street, once one of the more impressive residential districts of the city, long ago became a semi-commercial district, with offices and other small businesses replacing (or occupying) the large houses. The street is an important corridor and a vital gateway to the heart of downtown Jackson. Fondren, just to the north, has become one of the more active areas for renovation and new construction. I'd like to see this trend continue.

The Clarion Ledger

I'm pleased to see the new construction and interest in State street. Of course, I can still remember when I was a kid and all the grand old houses that lined both sides from downtown to Milsaps College. a bunch still remain and are just as grand and beautiful as ever but way too many were demolished to make way for 50's and 60's tacky, with some exceptions of course. many of these tacky buildings were promptly abandoned in the heyday of the flight to suburbia. I am so glad to see the rebirth.

Now, to change horses, the Jubilee Jam downtown music festival returned this weekend with a vengeance, after a one year hiatus due to finances and Katrina (sponsors weren't in a position to step last year).

The Mrs. and I were down there Friday night but forgot to take the camera. It was great to see the Jam back. We had a blast. There was a huge crowd Friday night but even more came out Saturday.

Here are some pictures from the Clarion Ledger:

The Clarion Ledger Jubilee Jam pics

The Holiday Inn Downtown is now the Marriott- a big improvement if you ask me. As for tall buildings, a 40 story tower would be fantastic, but we will have to see a few more companies move back to downtown before that will happen. Perhaps in a few years. As for tall buildings, the tallest one currently is the AmSouth Plaza at 318 feet. This was built in 1975 as the Deposit Guaranty National Bank. The Holiday Inn/Marriott was actually built in connection with the bank and the two are connected by a skywalk.

Amsouth Plaza- Emporis

Yes Tom I see your point, 40-stories might be pushing it just a little too much so, 25-stories would be a good start with a signature roof line, maybe a gothic post modern look. I have always loved Jackson, because I have family ties there. I live in Atlanta but I love the good people of Mississippi, and will always have a care and concern towards this area. Perhaps in a couple of years that signature tower will go up, I think so!!! If Worldcom had not screwed up then Jackson might have seen more corporations coming in, but things will get better. I truely think Jackson has a very bright future ahead. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Jackson Businessman and Philanthropist James Fowler Dies

James Fowler, the man who built and owned Highland Village shopping center on I-55 North has died. Fowler also owned several automobile dealerships among other businesses. This may mean a sale and/or upgrade for Highland Village.

The Clarion-Ledger

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't heard about Timber Falls. South Jackson certainly needs attention. This could go a long way towards the revitalization of the area. Jackson's downtown is beginning to shape up nicely on the drawing boards. I wonder when Mr. Small will give us more details about the hotels planned for the convention center?