Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

Little Rock CSA- 798,792

Jackson CSA- 545,486

I agree with you Mith, for a city of it's size, Little Rock has a great skyline.

I see I was right on the metros or CSA's. That may be one thing that helps Little Rock in some ways over Jackson. NCB I may be wrong but haven't you been to both? Could you give me a little bit of a comparison from your standpoint?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived in both Jackson and Little Rock I can say a few things about them. They both have the misfortune of not having a major university. I think this holds both of them back. Also, they both are located at the intersection of major Interstates. When I lived in Jackson if you wanted to do something different you would go to Memphis or New Orleans. In Little Rock these two cities are replaced by Dallas. Jackson has more of a Southern outlook which Little Rock never developed. With the right type of development they could both become nice small urban areas.

I'd say Jackson is already an Urban Area, what it needs is a good cleaning up. I claim Jackson as my home second to Tallahassee, and I've always seen the city itself, as a well developed place, that forgot about itself. Many people in Jackson live in crumbling neighborhoods, driving on crumbling roads, but there is a side of Jackson that is very nice. One thing about Jackson as someone has already stated is its location at the Junction of major interstates, its easy to get to, and the roads carry motorist around the city well. I love the roller coaster feeling I get when I'm on the way to my grandmother's house in Presidential Hills or driving out to see my Aunt in Raymond... I think it's I-220, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, Jackson, is urban, but it needs to be cleaned.

Having lived in both Jackson and Little Rock I can say a few things about them. They both have the misfortune of not having a major university. I think this holds both of them back. Also, they both are located at the intersection of major Interstates. When I lived in Jackson if you wanted to do something different you would go to Memphis or New Orleans. In Little Rock these two cities are replaced by Dallas. Jackson has more of a Southern outlook which Little Rock never developed. With the right type of development they could both become nice small urban areas.

I guess it's funny to hear someone say Little Rock not having a southern outlook. My area of Arkansas is the least southern part of the state so it sounds weird to hear someone say that when I think of Little Rock as being rather southern. I do wonder how things would be different if they had built the U of A in Little Rock instead of Fayetteville.

Edited by Mith242

• 2 weeks later...

Memphis and Little Rock have really done a lot with our downtowns and Shreveport's trying to get in on the act. I've been wondering what was taking Jackson so long.

Hey Aporkalypse, I know this is somewhat off-topic, but do you have any info on what Shreveport is doing with their downtown?

Hey Aporkalypse, I know this is somewhat off-topic, but do you have any info on what Shreveport is doing with their downtown?

Little, I haven't been in the area in a while. I saw a list of projects that was pretty impressive a few months ago and a few friends that visited the area told me they were making progress. I still think they're lagging well behind LR and Memphis, though.

Wow! :w00t:

I had no idea that there were that many different projects going on in downtown Shreveport. I really look forward to seeing what downtown S-port will look like in 2010, as that is their goal year to have completed many major projects.

Spreveport/Bossier City deserves its own development topic on the Louisiana forum after seeing that site, along with some others.

BTW, thanks alot for posting the site Dale!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More pictures of the King Edward....from David Watkins' collection at Webshots....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/128765...208093486RDoyFG

Still more..

http://community.webshots.com/album/128765550tMMThj/0

Includes some great photos of the renovated Union Station and other downtown buildings as well.

Edited by tombarnes

From the Clarion Ledger...

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...349/1002/NEWS01

I called the Mayor's office this afternoon to register my disgust. I can't imagine why this project should not go through. The mayor could at least be supportive. The salient point here...

"In fact, at that point, the city hadn't yet applied for the $2 million loan"

Amateur hour?

Edited by tombarnes