Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It reminds me a bit of seeing some pics of the old Mountain Inn here in Fayetteville before they tore it down. Although I think it was worse because people had gotten inside and really vandalized the place. But I also don't think the old Mountain Inn looked as nice even in good condition as this hotel.

What is wrong with Jackson's mayor? I can't believe this. Implode it just because some developers are hitting snags? That is just about the most insane idea I've ever heard of.

That would be like Ray Nagin saying, "Ya know what? That Plaza Tower deal is going a little too slow. I'm gonna blow it up." Wow, just wow.

Edited by TSmith

That would be like Ray Nagin saying, "Ya know what? That Plaza Tower deal is going a little too slow. I'm gonna blow it up." Wow, just wow.

That's the analogy that I thought of when I first read of what Jackson's mayor wanted to do. I really dont know what he is thinking.

As I said, a lot of it is bluster. He said he would "do something with the King Edward" in his campaign. What I can't fathom is why he would be against the developers. It's not as though he was dealing with a company without experience doing this kind of project. HRI has a fine reputation for doing this sort of work. Mr. Melton simply wants to "get something done" quickly so that his detractors can't point fingers. It will be tragic if the building falls because of his intransigence.

• 2 weeks later...

^Hopefully his plan will turn out to be the best thing for Jackson.

I was just around downtown Jackson today for a few minutes on my way back from Arkansas, and it all just looked dead. And of course I hope this development works out for the King Edward.

I think the proposal is very workable. I can't imagine why Melton is stalling and uncooperative. This plan would work. As I have stated earlier, the highest and best use for the building would be as a hotel. Jackson needs a good hotel. That said, anything which would preserve the building is a godsend.

Edited by tombarnes

I think the proposal is very workable. I can't imagine why Melton is stalling and uncooperative. This plan would work.

I agree. I just don't see why Melton is being this way. I think there is something more to his uncooperativeness than being worried that the "things" inside of the building coming out to the public areas.

Edited by NCB

• 2 weeks later...

A story about how apartments are starting to take off in downtown Jackson....from WLBT...

Electric Building

The remark about downtown apartments being prohibited only a few years ago is telling. I wonder how many other cities might have this sort of antiquated legislation still on their books? Fortunately, the trend does appear to be in favor of downtown living.

There's also a video tour of the new apartments in the Electric Building on the main page at WLBT. It won't allow a direct link.

Edited by tombarnes

Millsaps-Buie House Sold to the University of Mississippi Medical Center

The Clarion-Ledger has a front page story today regarding the sale of the Millsaps-Buie House on State Street to the University of Mississippi Medical Center. I'm a bit puzzled as to why they'd let it go for so little, but I suppose the intention was White House Hotel in Biloxi?

Edited by tombarnes